Still stuck in the mud! - Development updates

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BiteMe

Re: Still stuck in the mud! - Development updates

Post by BiteMe »

Visiting family in Leics for the next few days and decided to try out the new Brooklyn Hotel as a dry run for when the season starts. I’m surprised there is currently no ‘package’ deal with the club - i.e. match day tickets, bed and breakfast but perhaps that will come in time.

I’ll provide feedback if anyone is interested?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Yes, please.
I believe there are discounts for season ticket holders
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
BiteMe

Post by BiteMe »

A couple of weeks ago I stayed overnight at the new hotel. I have checked with the hotel and there are currently (under review) no package deals for people going to the game or for season ticket holders. Annoyingly, let us say you want to go to a Saturday game with a 3pm kick-off, you’ll be wanting to check in a bit earlier and guess what….. there is an additional charge which I would have thought they could waive on match days!

Furthermore, there are only circa 20 spaces in the car park so IF you are lucky enough to get a spot (needs to be pre-booked) again you will be paying extra for getting there at 2pm.

All in all, not very well thought out in terms of aligning to a 3pm game. Hopefully this will change in time.

I paid £79 for a double room including breakfast - this was a special ‘opening offer’ deal otherwise your breakfast will cost extra. I also paid £20 for parking at the hotel. Aside from the price of the parking, the cost wasn’t that much more than staying at a Premier Inn, so I was relatively pleased in terms of value for money.

The breakfast was typical help yourself full English or continental, pretty decent quality.

The rooms were decorated to a good standard, and they were in good order as you might expect from a hotel which has only been open a couple of months. I hope they manage to keep on top of the decoration etc as it is a differentiation between comparable hotels. Premier Inns and particularly Travelodges can be quite hideous from a decorative perspective. Here, the shower and bathroom were very good, the bed was comfortable and there were nice touches in the room such as a refrigerator.

Interesting wallpaper featuring tigers in the jungle, a not-so-subtle reference to their next door neighbours. The hotel has some quirky features - as it is marketed as a themed hotel I suppose that is to be expected. It isn’t my taste to be given blurb addressed to ‘guys, dolls, movers and shakers’ but I guess it is all part of the theatre.

In summary, although it sounds like I have picked a few moans above, I will go back, so I reckon that counts as an endorsement of sorts. I have two hopes for the future:

1) They manage to keep it in a reasonable state of repair because at the moment it is definitely a point of difference with its competitors
2) They sort something out with the club on match days, whether a package deal or at least not charging extra for parking and early check in

All above, my personal opinion of course.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Looks like the price goes up on matchday weekends.
BiteMe

Post by BiteMe »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:00 pm Looks like the price goes up on matchday weekends.
Yeah, I don’t like that much. It’s a bit like how the likes of Center Parcs hike their prices at half term.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

BiteMe wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:32 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:00 pm Looks like the price goes up on matchday weekends.
Yeah, I don’t like that much. It’s a bit like how the likes of Center Parcs hike their prices at half term.
The simple economics of supply and demand, unfortunately.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The hotel is not part of Tigers and like all hotels they ask guests to leave by a certain time and new comers to arrive after a certain time to allow a space for room cleaning. They cannot very well tell Friday night guests to skip breakfast and clear off because there is a match on. Most hotels charge a higher rate for Friday & Saturday night and the more popular times.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:14 am
BiteMe wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:32 pm
The simple economics of supply and demand, unfortunately.
Any holiday company/hotel does the same whether staying home or abroad.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Yeah thats just how hotels work. You'll get a room cheaper when there's no demand but it'll be pricey on a busy day. Airplanes have been doing that for years and no one whinges about it...

Sounds like this might surprise some people, but after previous guests check out of their room, someone has to clean it, which does take some time, hence you can't just check in whenever you fancy it. Want them to prioritise your room over someone else's? Pay for it. If it's free early check in and everyone arrives at 2, they're going to need more housekeepers to get the rooms cleaned it time. Guess what? Housekeepers need to be paid.

They've paid money to create a parking area, but they should give a space to you for free? It's a business not a charity.

Why is it with hospitality businesses so many people expect to get everything for nothing? They've just spent millions building the place, I reckon £79 is a bargain...
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Well, thanks for all the sneering. I have stayed in an hotel before. And while £79 might be cheap, there are no rooms at that price - all three figures.
Supply / demand argument is rubbish. If the demand goes up in this market the costs stay the same. It's not as though the raw material increases.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

It’s not about increased raw costs, The high demand prices subsidises the lower demand prices.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:40 am It’s not about increased raw costs, The high demand prices subsidises the lower demand prices.
Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!

The raw cost of the room plus acceptable profits probably lies just a little above the midweek out of season rate and is only achieved on average by the increased price during high demand.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

non possumus capere
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:28 am Well, thanks for all the sneering. I have stayed in an hotel before. And while £79 might be cheap, there are no rooms at that price - all three figures.
Supply / demand argument is rubbish. If the demand goes up in this market the costs stay the same. It's not as though the raw material increases.
I don't think anyone is sneering, unless you are and I haven't picked up your tone correctly.

Supply and demand of rooms in Leicester, not the costs of supplying them that the hotel has to meet. As anz3001 points out, the higher rate on high demand nights subsidises the lower rates on low demand nights (although the lower rate will still make profit, obviously, it won't be the acceptable return on investment if it was applied all of the time, and if the price was set all of the time on the minimum acceptable profit point they won't get enough guests in week to make the profit, driving the price up).
No, not that one!

non possumus capere
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Given the location and lack of car parking how are they expecting guests to get there. It isn’t far from the station I suppose, but the next nearest car park is the multi storey further up welford road. They could have deals with some of the coach companies I suppose.
Come and stay at our almost centrally based Leicester hotel, with outstanding views of the local hospital, Nelson Mandela park, (disclaimer Nelson never visited) and Leicester Prison which Ronnie Biggs once escaped from.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:56 am Given the location and lack of car parking how are they expecting guests to get there. It isn’t far from the station I suppose, but the next nearest car park is the multi storey further up welford road. They could have deals with some of the coach companies I suppose.
Come and stay at our almost centrally based Leicester hotel, with outstanding views of the local hospital, Nelson Mandela park, (disclaimer Nelson never visited) and Leicester Prison which Ronnie Biggs once escaped from.
😂😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer