Manu Tuilagi to Saracens!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi to Saracens!

Post by ourla »

MurphysLaw wrote:Sorry if this has already been posted, but this is from The Rugby Paper again...
http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured ... -vunipola/

Call me cynical, and while Billy might well be a mate of Manu, this article has all the signs of a non-too-subtle approach from the Sarries management.
- we are great - we win things
- the club are great at looking after people
- good bunch of lads, good structures, lots of players want to join us etc.,etc,

Manu is being tapped up...just hope that the folks at Tigers are reacting.
You're over reading it IMO.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="ourla"][quote="MurphysLaw"]Sorry if this has already been posted, but this is from The Rugby Paper again...

Call me cynical, and while Billy might well be a mate of Manu, this article has all the signs of a non-too-subtle approach from the Sarries management.
- good bunch of lads, good structures, lots of players want to join us etc.,etc,

Manu is being tapped up...just hope that the folks at Tigers are reacting.[/quote]
You're over reading it IMO.[/quote]

Yeah, possibly so! It must be just coincidental that it comes about a week after TRP claimed that Sarries were interested in him.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

MurphysLaw wrote:
ourla wrote:
MurphysLaw wrote:Sorry if this has already been posted, but this is from The Rugby Paper again...

Manu is being tapped up...just hope that the folks at Tigers are reacting.
You're over reading it IMO.
Yeah, possibly so! It must be just coincidental that it comes about a week after TRP claimed that Sarries were interested in him.
Wonder where the money would be coming from? Or are Saffacens banking on the collapse of the cap (nudge, nudge....)
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:Wonder where the money would be coming from? Or are Saffacens banking on the collapse of the cap (nudge, nudge....)
We all know where the money would be coming from. Question is how will they present it as being within the cap? Silly me! They disregard the cap anyway!
Still keeping the faith!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Sajerj wrote:I think what Roly is saying is that even players of World Class talents need an excellent team and system around them to perform. The team always trumps the individual.

Look at Saracens in the play offs. Wigglesworth, Farrell, Barritt, Taylor, Wyles, Ashton, Strettle.....yet they were outstanding and took Bath to the cleaners. The reason being that the team and system trumped Baths individuals.

When was Manu's finest hour for England ? Vs NZ in 2012. Outside Farrell and Burns. On this day Manu was world class.

When was his worst for England ? away in NZ in 2014. Outside Burns and Eastmond. On this day Manu was championship standard.
Yes, I think that sums it up nicely.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Sajerj wrote: When was his worst for England ? away in NZ in 2014. Outside Burns and Eastmond. On this day Manu was championship standard.
Yet 2 weeks earlier, away in NZ outside Burns and Eastmond, he was outstanding.

So what's your point?
Alandrin75
Tiger Cub

Post by Alandrin75 »

Rumour is growing stronger that Toulouse will be his destination.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Alandrin75 wrote:Rumour is growing stronger that Toulouse will be his destination.

Doubt anything has been done yet Or will be done before Christmas considering he still has a year that is a year he can raise his price anyway that's if he does want to go to France.

Have heard stronger rumours that Ben Youngs is looking at leaving end of next season.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I take issue with the fact that Manu is a world class player, He might have been 3 years ago, but his game never developed to maintain that status. All world class rugby players are world class because they develop a good rugby brain. They are quick to assess situations and make instant decisions, the majority of which have to be correct. To me Manu always had a one track mind, always break the gain line, as we all know even the very best players are lucky to do this 30% of the time.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy555 wrote:I take issue with the fact that Manu is a world class player, He might have been 3 years ago, but his game never developed to maintain that status. All world class rugby players are world class because they develop a good rugby brain. They are quick to assess situations and make instant decisions, the majority of which have to be correct. To me Manu always had a one track mind, always break the gain line, as we all know even the very best players are lucky to do this 30% of the time.
I think the "is Manu world class" debate has been done to death and become tedious with the subjectivity of what constitutes world class. And indeed, whether there's any point in labelling a player as such.

But to say he's not because he's regressed over the last three years is an odd one surely...? Based on what exactly? You've barely seen him play for two years.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Noddy555 wrote:I take issue with the fact that Manu is a world class player, He might have been 3 years ago, but his game never developed to maintain that status. All world class rugby players are world class because they develop a good rugby brain. They are quick to assess situations and make instant decisions, the majority of which have to be correct. To me Manu always had a one track mind, always break the gain line, as we all know even the very best players are lucky to do this 30% of the time.
With the greatest of respect Noddy I am inclined to trust the opinions of those who have played at the highest level. For example those expressed here:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Rugby ... story.html

To quote from the article "Jonny said: "Manu is a world-class player.

"He would be a great addition to any team in the world."
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

we haven't seen him at his best for a couple of seasons now due to various injuries. When fit you would have to say he does have an ability to break the line like few others..
cheers
Rich
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Nothing wrong with the term world class but more the differing interpretations of the saying, not dissimilar to referees but that is another topic.
World class to me is a player who can do whatever he does on the world stage against any opposition.
It does not mean a complete player for me but simply one of the best at what he does for example Wilko's boot or Robinson's step.
Manu has immense running power, and I have seen him offload plenty so I don't know where the idea that he doesn't or can't pass comes from, it's a myth IMO.
It's possible he could move to 12 in the next couple of years and there he will be a more complete player and as an attacker and a defender it will suit his natural game and instincts to rush more IMO, but it's a move needed to be done when the time is right if at all.
Cheery chappy
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Are you saying that he's a worse player than he was three years ago?
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

The Boy Dave wrote:Nothing wrong with the term world class but more the differing interpretations of the saying, not dissimilar to referees but that is another topic.
World class to me is a player who can do whatever he does on the world stage against any opposition.
It does not mean a complete player for me but simply one of the best at what he does for example Wilko's boot or Robinson's step.
Manu has immense running power, and I have seen him offload plenty so I don't know where the idea that he doesn't or can't pass comes from, it's a myth IMO.
It's possible he could move to 12 in the next couple of years and there he will be a more complete player and as an attacker and a defender it will suit his natural game and instincts to rush more IMO, but it's a move needed to be done when the time is right if at all.
Quite.

Because plenty of people at WR seem to want to scream "wide" everytime the ball shifts past 10 and are quick to forget how important building phases is. If you have a player with such awesome running power like Manu who will attract defenders and set the defence on the back foot - then frankly the times you want him to pass become a lot more limited.