Kings of the North

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kings of the North

Post by sk 88 »

johnthegriff wrote:Sale, Newcastle and Leicester are the most northerly Premiership teams hence the grouping. The Championship clubs will be playing league matches during the World Cup hence non inclusion. Kings of the North is a ridiculous title dreamt up by some marketing person. The games will be competitive, there is no such thing as a non-competitive game of rugby, each match will provide an opportunity for Tiger's players not involved in the World cup to develop their game and stake a claim for a regular first team place. To play the L.V competition in this period was not possible as whilst the pool matches could have taken place there would be no time for semi-finals and final.
Things are not ideal but I believe the Premiership is making the best of the situation.
Unless Rotherham get promoted of course.

We have no need to get tied into a poor regional grouping because of some nonsense "region" idea. Worcester is only an hour further at most for Newcastle and Sale. They could just of easily played with them whilst we played more attractive fixtures against either our actual local rivals like Saints and, now, Wasps or against historic rivals like Gloucester, Bath or Quins.

The club claims it had a free choice to play who it wanted, so its fair for people to criticise what is a very odd choice of fixtures. The benefits you mention would be true of any fixtures against any opposition.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

sk 88 wrote:
johnthegriff wrote:Sale, Newcastle and Leicester are the most northerly Premiership teams hence the grouping. The Championship clubs will be playing league matches during the World Cup hence non inclusion. Kings of the North is a ridiculous title dreamt up by some marketing person. The games will be competitive, there is no such thing as a non-competitive game of rugby, each match will provide an opportunity for Tiger's players not involved in the World cup to develop their game and stake a claim for a regular first team place. To play the L.V competition in this period was not possible as whilst the pool matches could have taken place there would be no time for semi-finals and final.
Things are not ideal but I believe the Premiership is making the best of the situation.
Unless Rotherham get promoted of course.

We have no need to get tied into a poor regional grouping because of some nonsense "region" idea. Worcester is only an hour further at most for Newcastle and Sale. They could just of easily played with them whilst we played more attractive fixtures against either our actual local rivals like Saints and, now, Wasps or against historic rivals like Gloucester, Bath or Quins.

The club claims it had a free choice to play who it wanted, so its fair for people to criticise what is a very odd choice of fixtures. The benefits you mention would be true of any fixtures against any opposition.
Commercially, it makes no sense for the club to have chosen to play Falcons and Sharks; I just don't buy it :smt017
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I assume many many hours were spent by PRL deciding who should play whom.

Tigers will have had input to these deliberations.

I have no problem with their conclusions.
Still keeping the faith!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

I have no problem, per se. I just don't buy that Tigers chose to play Falcons and Sharks, when we could have had more lucrative games against Saints and Wasps.
Just saying :)
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

L Smith wrote:I have no problem, per se. I just don't buy that Tigers chose to play Falcons and Sharks, when we could have had more lucrative games against Saints and Wasps.
Maybe Saints and Wasps did not see it that way? Or others wanted the "big names" od Saints and Wasps in their groups?
Still keeping the faith!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Bill W (2) wrote:
L Smith wrote:I have no problem, per se. I just don't buy that Tigers chose to play Falcons and Sharks, when we could have had more lucrative games against Saints and Wasps.
Maybe Saints and Wasps did not see it that way? Or others wanted the "big names" od Saints and Wasps in their groups?
Yep: definite possibility but the previous poster suggested that Tigers claim they could choose who they played. I feel like I've meandered into pedantry now (damn you all to hell!), so my parting shot will be that I have no problem with the opponents but I have concerns that we'll be hit with the curse of the plastic pitch up in Newcastle.
Tara
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

The whole thing just begs the question, why did we delay the start of the Premiership season to then set up smaller competitions between Premiership clubs? Complete waste of time.

I'm sure I wont be alone in not attending these games.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

You pays yer money, yer takes your choice. Go if you want or don't; I for one prefer to see club rugby rather than over hyped internationals; so the Herts, Beds and Bucks RFU will run its own tournament with OA's, Bedford and ANOther. Cup name still to be decided? Queens of Herts?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I seem to remember reading that it was Dean Richards idea. He approached Diamond and then they both approached Leicester. I also recall us saying we wanted to support the northern teams. What we didn't say and what I suspect is the case, is that, although it doesn't make commercial sense for us... it makes sense from a playing perspective. We don't new coaches and players in what is effectively pre-season friendlies playing the better teams in the Prem. Imagine the moaning on here if we got our butts kicked by either Saints or Wasps. No, these games give us a chance to gel against so called weaker opposition. It won't be a money spinner but hopefully the rest of the season will be.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ourla wrote:I seem to remember reading that it was Dean Richards idea. He approached Diamond and then they both approached Leicester. I also recall us saying we wanted to support the northern teams. What we didn't say and what I suspect is the case, is that, although it doesn't make commercial sense for us... it makes sense from a playing perspective. We don't new coaches and players in what is effectively pre-season friendlies playing the better teams in the Prem. Imagine the moaning on here if we got our butts kicked by either Saints or Wasps. No, these games give us a chance to gel against so called weaker opposition. It won't be a money spinner but hopefully the rest of the season will be.
Well done Ourla I am completely with you on this viewpoint :smt023