Reffing this weekend - reflections

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Reffing this weekend - reflections

Post by LE18 »

Is it time to ban jumping for the ball, once unsupported and off the ground a player is very vulnerable, possibly you could rule that a player cannot jump for the ball unless he has a supporting player next to him, bit like the lineout, would it help with a safe landing, especially in this day and age of health and safety. Crazy thought or is this the direction law makers are heading?

Its not so long ago that folk were saying that Jackson, as a recently past player, was one of the best refs about.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

LE18 wrote:Is it time to ban jumping for the ball, once unsupported and off the ground a player is very vulnerable, possibly you could rule that a player cannot jump for the ball unless he has a supporting player next to him, bit like the lineout, would it help with a safe landing, especially in this day and age of health and safety. Crazy thought or is this the direction law makers are heading?

Its not so long ago that folk were saying that Jackson, as a recently past player, was one of the best refs about.
I think the idea about Jackson was blown out of the water this weekend. Rabbit in the headlights, a complete horlicks of the game.

And for what it's worth, the solution should surely be that if the intention is to catch the ball then there shouldn't be a sanction. Any tackle in the air is a yellow or red card depending on severity. A chasing player who is jumping has a duty of care to other players as well - you don't just lose the requirement to not be reckless when you leave the ground.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

LE18 wrote:I... you could rule that a player cannot jump for the ball unless he has a supporting player next to him, bit like the lineout...
I don't think a lineout jumper has to have a supporting player. M&J's aren't allowed them until they reach a certain age so it shouldn't be h&s. Perhaps players should be obliged to maintain contact with the ground at all times? Champion speedwalkers on the wings?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I am aware of Juniors etc, referring to pro lineouts, whether they choose to jump unsupported or not, they are jumping from a relatively stationary position and not having to endure a chasing opponent moving toward them at 15-20 mph.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

LE18 wrote:I am aware of Juniors etc, referring to pro lineouts, whether they choose to jump unsupported or not, they are jumping from a relatively stationary position and not having to endure a chasing opponent moving toward them at 15-20 mph.
I don't know with some of those juniors. But regarding my real query on your comment about "pro" lineout jumpers in your original point, just for my clarification, do they have to be supported?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

biffer wrote:Banned for 2 weeks

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/news/2770 ... OS_MfmsWWt

Utter, utter nonsense.
Concur. In a match where other players should've been shown the walk of shame, a minnow.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Jumping and competing for the ball is an important part of the game, and one of the inspiring sights in rugby. If you are not going to fully compete for the ball then you just need to keep clear.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

LE18 wrote:Its not so long ago that folk were saying that Jackson, as a recently past player, was one of the best refs about.
Before this weekend I think a lot of people would have agreed, not quite so many now I imagine.

Seems a shame, because for his first internationals he was held in high regard not only by the public but by the players as well.

Let's hope it was a poor day at the office (even Poite has them!) and he returns to his previous high standards