Concussion

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Concussion

Post by Iain »

Kind of related to a previous thread I started, but worth discussing in its own right.

I was appalled that George North was allowed back on the field on Friday and even more appalled that he was allowed to continue having been knocked out from a second impact. It terrifies me that a medical professional was happy for him to keep on playing.

Why have we gone backwards? A few years ago, a suspected concussion was a mandatory three week lay off. Now a suspected concussion means a ten minute arbitrary assessment before being allowed back on. No wonder Gary O'Driscoll resigned as World Rugby's adviser over this. It is a dangerous nonsense.

This is something that rugby is getting really wrong, and another where I fear it's going to take something tragic at the top level for people to sit up and notice. An early onset of dementia perhaps. Or heaven forbid somebody killed on the field who should have been taken off.

North hitting the deck second time, unconscious before he landed and with no arms to break his fall could have been so much worse. The second impact after concussion can be fatal (indeed I believe this happened at a lower level a few years back). That he wasn't pulled immediately is a disgrace.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Concussion

Post by tigerburnie »

I too was amazed that North carried on, the players do have a say in this too, they should stop this from happening, what was his captain thinking.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I saw George North go off after first impact for the mandatory assessment, did he go off again after the second time he was knocked out?
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

according to what i've read, they 'didn't see the second one'. Wales' medical team will have a live feed available from now on so that they can review on field issues. We've had this at tigers for a couple of seasons or more, totally shocked at Wales' lack of medical back up, did they just revive GN with a magic sponge in the first half?
cheers
Rich
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

drc_007 wrote:I saw George North go off after first impact for the mandatory assessment, did he go off again after the second time he was knocked out?
No he didn't. Nobody seemed to pick up that he was spark out.

I would argue that the mandatory assessment hasn't done its job if he was able to return and be KO'd by a second impact.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The second one was weird because there didn't seem to be any contact, he just got pulled out of a maul. Did anyone see how long he was down for? Did he get up under his own steam?
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

the 2nd was mostly off camera, he seemed to get caught by his own player and went down like a sack of spuds, the replays showed it better, but play moved away from the incident which i guess is why they missed it.

they are now following concussion protocol for GN after reviewing the tapes but is that 1 week out or 2? and with it being a friday game I presume he would be available for Sunday.
cheers
Rich
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Rykard wrote:the 2nd was mostly off camera, he seemed to get caught by his own player and went down like a sack of spuds, the replays showed it better, but play moved away from the incident which i guess is why they missed it.

they are now following concussion protocol for GN after reviewing the tapes but is that 1 week out or 2? and with it being a friday game I presume he would be available for Sunday.
From the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... gland.html
North is now undergoing a graduated six-day return-to-play protocol and if he is symptom-free he will be clear to face Scotland on Sunday
Also information about what World Rugby are going to insist on in the wake of this.
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

I too was shocked and dismayed that North was allowed to play on especially after the second hit. I know they said they didn't see it - but cameras picked it up, maybe there should be someone at the game monitoring the TV output incase anything like this happens again.

I was also shocked by Jonathon Davies comments regarding North after the game, on the BBC red button. He said that it was hard to tell if the first knock had had any affect as North had been play bobbins before and was still bobbins after the knock. Then he appeared to say that North faked the second fall as to excuse his form in the match.
If thats the view of some in the commentry box, is it repeated by those within the management teams? Not just in this incident but others.

A bang to the head should be treated first as concussion and proved not rather than the other way round IMHO, better for someone to miss part of one game than suffer potentail problems later on.
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

In all fairness Suz, the link I posted explains that Wales will now use video footage and live feeds to support them. Which is a good start.

But this ten minutes is a nonsense. I'm no medical professional but how on Earth can you make an objective judgement in that time?
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Iain wrote:In all fairness Suz, the link I posted explains that Wales will now use video footage and live feeds to support them. Which is a good start.

But this ten minutes is a nonsense. I'm no medical professional but how on Earth can you make an objective judgement in that time?
Ah ok Iain (can't read the telegraph I'm at my free read limit :smt001 )
But should it have taken an inceident such as this to make this change, and is it only the Welsh that are going to do it?

I'm with you on the ten mins, its no way long enought. Having being hospitalised with concussion myself I know I got worse after the first 10 mins.
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

the article says doctors not related to the teams at all games in the rwc.

Hopefully GN will not have any lasting effects, but with the big screen I can't believe no one saw it.
cheers
Rich
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Its interesting watching the footage.

North gets hit by Hibbert at exactly 60.05. The cameras briefly flick away as it was the passage when Haskell ran into the post.

At 60.17, just 12 seconds later, there are two medics already treating North (well one treating him, one standing). I assume they are Welsh medics. They must have been on that side of the pitch right by the incident because they are with him maximum 8-9 seconds after impact.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

interesting - if they were welsh then that means they may have lied..
cheers
Rich
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Would it be feasible for the TMO to pipe up in the referee's ear saying "number 14 appears to have taken a heavy knock to the head there. I recommend he is sent from the field for assessment"?