2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 2.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 2.

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I will probably get shot down for this but, do we really need a Star/marquee signing? What if the club can't afford one or we can't find one that fits the ethos of the club? Would Quade Cooper want to fight for his place literally at the Oval park or Richie Macaw put all in for the season with his injuries and selected playing time? I know it's a different budget, but I would rather have a squad then a star player. Look at the time Bath are having at this moment.

Don't get me wrong, Loti was amazing, Stansky, Kronfeld and Van Herdeen were great to have and as I have said, I would have loved Conrad Smith, but it isn't to be. As a fan, it would be a great boost, but would rather not just get a marquee player just so I am happy.

Club first for me, regardless who I want to see running out at Welford Road.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

For me I just would like the marquee player to be a big bruiser like Alberts who will get us on the front foot which I think is what our back row lacks at the minute..Barberi was signed with this in mind like Fonua has been for next season but Barberi really hasn't found his feet yet (I am still hoping he will come good when the ground firms up with his pace and power)

We shall see what happens I agree the marquee player situation doesn't really fit in with our ethos but for me personally Alberts would be the perfect scenario!
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote:I will probably get shot down for this but, do we really need a Star/marquee signing? What if the club can't afford one or we can't find one that fits the ethos of the club? Would Quade Cooper want to fight for his place literally at the Oval park or Richie Macaw put all in for the season with his injuries and selected playing time? I know it's a different budget, but I would rather have a squad then a star player. Look at the time Bath are having at this moment.

Don't get me wrong, Loti was amazing, Stansky, Kronfeld and Van Herdeen were great to have and as I have said, I would have loved Conrad Smith, but it isn't to be. As a fan, it would be a great boost, but would rather not just get a marquee player just so I am happy.

Slightly agree with your post, but I feel we do need a bit of a "wow" factor, even if its to get a bit of excitement going. we have had a few seasons now of requiting squad players that quite frankly are not up to it. I would forgo 3 squad players for someone who gives us just that little bit something else!
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

JackFlashJonny wrote:For me I just would like the marquee player to be a big bruiser like Alberts who will get us on the front foot which I think is what our back row lacks at the minute..Barberi was signed with this in mind like Fonua has been for next season but Barberi really hasn't found his feet yet (I am still hoping he will come good when the ground firms up with his pace and power)

We shall see what happens I agree the marquee player situation doesn't really fit in with our ethos but for me personally Alberts would be the perfect scenario!
could not agree more. Fonua for me will have to spend all pre season firming up, losing a couple of pounds!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Heard any whispers recently Floridaboy?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

floridaboy wrote:
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote:I will probably get shot down for this but, do we really need a Star/marquee signing? What if the club can't afford one or we can't find one that fits the ethos of the club? Would Quade Cooper want to fight for his place literally at the Oval park or Richie Macaw put all in for the season with his injuries and selected playing time? I know it's a different budget, but I would rather have a squad then a star player. Look at the time Bath are having at this moment.

Slightly agree with your post, but I feel we do need a bit of a "wow" factor, even if its to get a bit of excitement going. we have had a few seasons now of requiting squad players that quite frankly are not up to it. I would forgo 3 squad players for someone who gives us just that little bit something else!
I'm partially agreeing too.

Don't want a marquee signing for the sake of a marquee signing. However, I feel we need some world class in the backs. The right signing will be one who can give us that, with value for money and the right attitude that fits into our team ethos. For me, all of our marquee signings over the years have ticked those boxes.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

simon cohen has said in the past, they need the right person who will fit in. whether this is a marquee or not, they are only looking at players who will get our ethos..
cheers
Rich
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Heard any whispers recently Floridaboy?
No, nothing other than wishful thinking! Ive been under the weather for a couple of weeks so my usual "source" has not been around!

I have plenty of questions for him when I get up and around again.

Still fancy the Dagg rumour though!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Gloucester have signed Crusaders scrumhalf Willi Heinz to replace Dan Robson..

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Glou ... story.html
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I, for one, don't want a marque signing for a marque signings sake but I do want a class signing in the backs. Someone with pace and has the ability to create space would be my priority. I am reasonably happy with what we have got in the forwards and would be even happier in Salvi stays. What position? has to be an inside centre for me, someone who can bring Burns/Williams on and make holes for Manu. Don't want another wing but could be persuaded with a full back but I will go back to statements made earlier - our squad is too big! Too many project players who leave us after a couple of years working on them. I know that they are cheaper than the stars but I would want to free up a bit more space in the salary cap and keep the real quality.
Hehehehehehehehe
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Yes, a 12 or 15 would be my priorities too. I really like Allen and would never want to ship him on, but I wonder whether a more creative 12 might just be what we need.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

Rykard wrote:simon cohen has said in the past, they need the right person who will fit in. whether this is a marquee or not, they are only looking at players who will get our ethos..
Can someone tell me what our ethos is? Also agree with Iain, we need to look at 12 and 15 for some creativeness
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

I kinda read that as no big egos, ready to get stuck in and fight for the shirt. Grafters..
cheers
Rich
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Todays news: Piri Weepu confirmed as signing for Oyonnax

The Rugby Paper states we are on the verge of signing Mike Fitzgerald from the Chiefs as a replacement for Deacons retirement for after the world cup..

Never heard of him anyone got any thoughts on this?
Neil Fissler of the Rugbypaper fissler files has tweeted we are closing in on Mike..

To be fair from what I have read looks a great signing!
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

Rykard wrote:I kinda read that as no big egos, ready to get stuck in and fight for the shirt. Grafters..
Isn't that every club's ethos