At Quins and no mistake we were woeful

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

At Quins and no mistake we were woeful

Post by Ian Cant »

Travelled to another away game hoping to see us perform well but this, for me was worse than Bath as we had a supposedly good team out. No more chat In the press. Just shut up and for heavens sake play with passion and more skill. No top four for us this season. Just go out and please try to score some tries!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: At Quins and no mistake we were woeful

Post by h's dad »

Ian Cant wrote:No top four for us this season.
After a quiet few weeks these comments are making a comeback today. Would somebody who understands these things let me know what sort of odds I could get from the turf accountants on Tigers finishing top four as I have a little faith and if the odds are good might even be persuaded to have a flutter.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I think this is a man speaking from the heart. Ian, you need some of Tigerburnie's optimism pills to see that we will be champions this year. Commiserations for having made the trip to be there and suffer it live.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

h's dad wrote:
After a quiet few weeks these comments are making a comeback today. Would somebody who understands these things let me know what sort of odds I could get from the turf accountants on Tigers finishing top four as I have a little faith and if the odds are good might even be persuaded to have a flutter.
If you want an argument fair enough, but it's not right to kick a man when he's down. He made the effort, and spent the money, to be there which is more than most of us did.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

GS wrote:
h's dad wrote:
If you want an argument fair enough, but it's not right to kick a man when he's down. He made the effort, and spent the money, to be there which is more than most of us did.
Well said :smt023 Cockers post match spin is starting to get right up my nose, shame because I respect him immensely. I know he is taking one for the team but his usual frank honesty has gone out the window along with the Tigers back play.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

GS wrote:
h's dad wrote:
Sorry Ian, didn't mean to kick if that's how it sounded. Certainly not looking for an argument GS. I'm sure the team feel just as down as the fans. I just think Tigers still have a good chance of a top four finish but anybody, on the pitch or off it, who was expecting an easy game today for Tigers was always going to be sorely mistaken.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

We were awful, I'm with Ian on this, why cannot our players offload and support like other teams, we made some good breaks, try to offload and spill the ball, passes thrown to players who are not expecting to receive the pass, stick out 1 hand and knock on. Our footwork is not good either, how many times is the ball coming back from the ruck and strikes a players leg, opposition then break away with the ball.

I am greatly frustrated by our inability to catch, pass run decent lines and retain the ball, other teams seem so much better at it than us.

Just so disappointed with todays game, i really thought we had a chance to win away in what I expected to be a closely fought game, bonus point try was always coming we just could not stop it.

Dont think many of our players played themselves into the international team. :smt017
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

h's dad wrote: Sorry Ian, didn't mean to kick if that's how it sounded. Certainly not looking for an argument GS. I'm sure the team feel just as down as the fans. I just think Tigers still have a good chance of a top four finish but anybody, on the pitch or off it, who was expecting an easy game today for Tigers was always going to be sorely mistaken.
Fair enough h's dad, thanks for the clarifying post.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Basic errors are killing Tigers at the moment, not sure if it is poor coaching or simply lack of confidence and playing together. Can't see Tigers do much until it is addressed.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Basic errors are the problem. The coaches cannot be blamed for this, if top level professionals cannot do the basics right, they need to take a look at themselves.
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

The only positive I pick out of that game is that Quins will be average next time out and we can all sit through O'Shea's claptrap at the post match interview. "We know how we want to play and we know we can beat teams if we play that way. We didn't execute that today but we won't change our style of play. We know we can hurt teams. Ok, we lost today but we'll keep doing what we're doing and see where it gets us...."....blah blah yawn zzzzzzz
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

I think given the games we have had recently:-

Toulon x2
Northants
Sale
Bath
Quins

The intensity has been high but it was off on Saturday. It is difficult not to be disappointed and the LV cup cannot come quick enough for me. We will lose a few to England and Italy I suppose but the 6 Nations should be a time when we can get the players refreshed.

I think we all just have to be level headed and hope everyone comes through the next few weeks unscathed and fighting fit.

I did think the selection of TC was a mistake! Gibson really puts himself about and TC just had nowhere near the intensity needed. Gibson should have started and TC come on after 60.

I would have also started with Burns as we needed to kick down field more and I think Burns would have sent them back peddling more.

Still the table is close and there is all to play for so lets stay calm and accept that while we are still a good side we are just not in 2nd let alone first gear yet.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

[
Still the table is close and there is all to play for so lets stay calm and accept that while we are still a good side we are just not in 2nd let alone first gear yet.[/quote]

We are not a good side; we are poor to middling. January is somewhat late in the day to move out of 3rd gear.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Yes, I agree we were poor overall, but am I in the minority in thinking we didn't get much from Luke Pearce. I thought there were questions on at least 2 of the tries, incidentally picked up by that long stablished friend of Leicester,LD.
His refereeing of the basics, at both scrum and lineout was at best poor, with Quins hooker standing in front of his own line when throwing in, and Marler not binding legally. ( Unless of course binding on Croft is legal).
We do seem to get on the wronside of referees when things aren't going well.

However, looking at the positives, we had many opportunities to score and if it wasn't for poor ball retention, and a couple of wrong options being taken, who knows what the outcome would have been!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

ancientmariner wrote:[
Still the table is close and there is all to play for so lets stay calm and accept that while we are still a good side we are just not in 2nd let alone first gear yet.
We are not a good side; we are poor to middling. January is somewhat late in the day to move out of 3rd gear.[/quote]

Just watched the highlights, Tiger revert back to seasons type - soft trys given away yet again. As I said on another post keep Care quiet and maybe the `tigers will pinch it. As it was,Care was allowed to roam, Easter was according the the ST, huge even at 36. Yarde being allowed to run through was a joke. As Cockers has said the Tigers are a soft touch! The saving grace is that teams above didn't do too well either.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat