Toulon away leg

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Toulon away leg

Post by L Smith »

The biggest positive I take from that game is that the despicable Delon Armitage did not score. He would have been rehearsing his celebration since last Sunday.
Other than that, we didn't seem to come away with any significant injuries (haven't heard on Thorn yet, though).
Toulon take most teams apart at home; the reality is, in the head to head, it was 5 points to 4 in favour of the most expensively constructed team in the world.
Yes: we turned the ball over too much; other posters have remarked on our poor support of the runners, which I agree with but I think it's because we were so nervous of their attack that we were intent on keeping our defensive shape, even in attack.
Let's not beat the team up; they are at the mercy of an almost comedic fixture list where we are playing: Toulon H, Toulon A, Saints A, Sale A, Bath H.
I think they deserve our support through this!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

L Smith wrote: I think they deserve our support through this!
Absolutely :smt027
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

compared the start of season Losing to bath 45 -0 and Glous by something like 33-8 (?)

It's a huge progression in the defence which at the time was what I was most concerned about.

Blake has earned his money, IF Mauger can have similar result in Attack then magic can happen.

Still feel will need to invest in a big ball carrying 8 and a aggressive finisher and maybe a attacking minded 12 to be a contrast to Allen. (Like Bowden I'm hoping when Hepetema is fit he could fill in that gap).

That's if no players leave us (Which will always happen as it tends to in this day and age).
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

RagingBull wrote:compared the start of season Losing to bath 45 -0 and Glous by something like 33-8 (?)

It's a huge progression in the defence which at the time was what I was most concerned about.

Blake has earned his money, IF Mauger can have similar result in Attack then magic can happen.

Still feel will need to invest in a big ball carrying 8 and a aggressive finisher and maybe a attacking minded 12 to be a contrast to Allen. (Like Bowden I'm hoping when Hepetema is fit he could fill in that gap).

That's if no players leave us (Which will always happen as it tends to in this day and age).
If Mauger can put a stop to the "one two bump" crash ball antics I'll be delighted. But we need pace and invention in the backs to do this. Two things we are lacking. (Compare us against Wasps and Bath?)

Some players leaving might be a blessing in disguise. IF we can attract backs who want to play behind a formidable pack and work with Aaron then I have hope. Someone out there should surely be saying "I quite fancy that."

The change might not come next year .........but the year after.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Apparently Mauger is already looking at player to bring in next season that fit his vision. (Apparently) Although it makes sense as Coach to be thinking forward he will have the ability to talk to the SH players in a different way to our scouts.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Some sense in this thread - we do better than anyone against the most expensive team in the world, and still some people whinge and whinge. We have improved immensely since the start of the season, especially our defence; some gambles (e.g. Leomanu, Matera) have not paid off but were worth taking; we have good players coming through (Thacker, Milne etc); we have a trusted and talented coach coming; we have a tried and proven defence coach wh has done his job handsomely so far;we have an excellent pack who are well-coached; we have talented halfbacks.
FGS lighten up some of you!
:smt018
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

jgriffin wrote:Some sense in this thread - we do better than anyone against the most expensive team in the world, and still some people whinge and whinge. We have improved immensely since the start of the season, especially our defence; some gambles (e.g. Leomanu, Matera) have not paid off but were worth taking; we have good players coming through (Thacker, Milne etc); we have a trusted and talented coach coming; we have a tried and proven defence coach wh has done his job handsomely so far;we have an excellent pack who are well-coached; we have talented halfbacks.
FGS lighten up some of you!
:smt018
+1 :smt023
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

.... also worth mentioning that our lineout is the best in Europe, take a bow Richard Blaze :smt023
Another former Tiger, not made a bad coach, has he?
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

we do better than anyone against the most expensive team in the world,
How do you work that out?
Toulon V Scarlets (who would give their eye teeth to have even a quater of tigers budget)
28-18.

Toulon V Tigers...
23-8
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

welshy08 wrote:
Toulon V Scarlets (who would give their eye teeth to have even a quater of tigers budget)
28-18.

Toulon V Tigers...
23-8
Let's see how Scarlets fare against Toulon in the return fixture, first, shall we?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Fascinated by the 'quarter' that Scarlets get - so they're not party to the new deal announced on 28th August 2014? Or are you just telling porkies again Welshy08?
Please publish your version of the new deal and the wage bill available to the Scarlets - please include all bonuses to the regions, how the new deal pans out for the Scarlets and the % likely via central contracts, add it all up and we'll compare it to Tigers wage bill for players.
We await. :smt025
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Telegraph reporting Toulon bonus point victory :smt01

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ctory.html
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

welshy08 wrote:
28-18.

Toulon V Tigers...
23-8
If you got a few more to turn up then you might have a better budget. Thin on the ground tonight?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I understand the Welsh position, they have not fared well during the professional era, now with a near war with the WRFU and the regions over, they now have to try and get the fans back. Empty seats is a worry for all clubs and it seems the Welsh fans were interested in watching Tottenham down the road.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Given the performance in Toulon, more than likely the saints will be serving up the Tigers christmas lunch early with plenty of stuffing?

to quote from Steve James:

'Sadly you look at Leicester and it is difficult to pick out any outstanding individuals. Fly-half Owen Williams had one of his poorest days, notwithstanding an excellent break for his side’s try, while Ben Youngs kicked poorly.'

'But the real problem lay elsewhere. It is not as if they are the first team to suffer this fate at Toulon’s hands, but they were simply overpowered physically, in open play and at the breakdown.'

'Back-foot rugby is never easy, and even more so for Leicester, who do not exactly ooze creation. Many of the other top sides in the Aviva Premiership have moved on in how they play the game. Have Leicester? I am not sure they have, even if injuries have hit them cruelly this season.'

Unfortunately I have to agree. :smt010
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat