Time for Cockerill to go

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Time for Cockerill to go

Post by jgriffin »

Tigerbeat wrote:I believe that Cockers gave the instruction to use more kicks in the second half to make them play from their own half. He said that they could nad should have been executed better.
If your defence is good, the opposition is struggling and you are well ahead it is a perfectly good tactic. Alas one of the three was not the case, at least.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

OK, he didn't actually use those words (on the radio), but it was in effect what happened. As JG points out we didn't have a great lead and I would add that Ulster only struggled while we were attacking them and our defence was good when they did attack. But if you give them enough of the ball they will eventually get the hang of it and having scored a from a fast flowing movement (try of the season?) I would have thought twice about giving them another go. If the execution of the instruction was at fault then think of something else rather than persist in something that looks like going horribly wrong.

I've been watching Tigers for long enough to know that even at their best they are capable of putting a bad one in but Scarlets was more than that. If it was an odd game then fair enough but having looked as if they were turning the corner and things were starting to go right we're back to the Bath and Glaws games.

I'm quite happy to be proved wrong. Perhaps Blake is the voice of reason that Cockers needs. Either way 'sledging and banter' never changed any one's mind. But you won't change my mind that I want the best for Tigers and for Tigers to be the best.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Another thing that I can't quite understand this Season is not unrelated to the point about kicking tactics - namely the way we use Freddie Burns . Burns is one of the finest attacking talents in the English game - he is adequate in defence but no more than that , and is in most minds a fairly poor tactical kicker and has been for some years .If we choose to play Burns - surely we play to his strengths not his weaknesses . Its almost the Lamb thing happening again - we know a players strengths and weaknesses when we sign them - yet ask them to play in a style completely foreign to them . If Cockerill did tell them to change tactics that half time he is dafter than even I thought .
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mike wrote:Another thing that I can't quite understand this Season is not unrelated to the point about kicking tactics - namely the way we use Freddie Burns . Burns is one of the finest attacking talents in the English game - he is adequate in defence but no more than that , and is in most minds a fairly poor tactical kicker and has been for some years .If we choose to play Burns - surely we play to his strengths not his weaknesses . Its almost the Lamb thing happening again - we know a players strengths and weaknesses when we sign them - yet ask them to play in a style completely foreign to them . If Cockerill did tell them to change tactics that half time he is dafter than even I thought .
Bizarrely, at the Edinburgh pre-season Burns was dropping the ball on a sixpence when kicking for territory, whether under pressure or not. He can do it, which suggests to me either the wrong tactics or a loss of confidence. I'd go with the latter.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Doghashadhisday wrote:Breaking news - Cockerill is going! To Twickers in May 2015 :smt045 :smt043
He has bought his seat going cheap already to ensure he is at the sell out!!
Come on be realistic, at this chance we will be lucky to be in the Euro slots!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

WiggoTiger wrote:
Doghashadhisday wrote:Breaking news - Cockerill is going! To Twickers in May 2015 :smt045 :smt043

Maybe it is the free t-shirt they sometimes give away with early tickets.

Also how isn't it realistic?

Top 4.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

RagingBull wrote:
WiggoTiger wrote:

Top 4.
Unless our back play, our general game mangement and our scrum suddenly come up trumps over the next few months it will be a pipe dream!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

WiggoTiger wrote: He has bought his seat going cheap already to ensure he is at the sell out!!

Top 4.[/quote]

Unless our back play, our general game mangement and our scrum suddenly come up trumps over the next few months it will be a pipe dream![/quote]

Scrum not been too bad?
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

TBH Line out the best, then scrum against some teams!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
covrich

Post by covrich »

I think the scrum will be fine. Marcos has helped it and Balmain has been on a steep but rewarding learning curve. Soon to come back is Logo and Cole