Time for Cockerill to go

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Time for Cockerill to go

Post by mike »

Personally I would have let him go some time ago . Every Coach has his sell by date and Cockerill is well past his - it is time for a change to bring in new blood with new ideas .
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Since Matt O'Connor left our trajectory has been downwards. I believe the appointment of Murphy and Burke both ex tigers players to be his assistant coaches has proven to be a big mistake. I believe RC is the right man to take us forward but he must be supported by experienced and proven assistants from outside the Tigers production line just like O'Connor was.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Whilst I think there needs to be a change, and some new blood (from outside the Tigers family) I do wonder about calling for Cockers to go after last nights' performance.

Was is Cockers who dropped the ball over the line with defence beat?
Was is Cockers that fell over and dropped the ball 5m from his own line gifting a try?
Was it Cockers forcing the offload and trying to play 7s giving away in intercept try?

Change 3 individual errors, that were totally outside of Cockers' control, and we win 8-3 or 10-3.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

So who would you have replaced Cockerill with then?
Nizzle1
Tiger Cub

Post by Nizzle1 »

Keep cockers, but get him help! He cannot, whether he likes it or not, control every aspect of the team!
For me, he remains as head coach- we bring in a former tiger brute with coaching experience to be forwards coach and we scout a Southern Hemisphere coach who is working his magic in the backs.
Job done- it's time we modernise our coach system to match the talent in the players we have
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Nizzle1 wrote:Keep cockers, but get him help! He cannot, whether he likes it or not, control every aspect of the team!
For me, he remains as head coach- we bring in a former tiger brute with coaching experience to be forwards coach and we scout a Southern Hemisphere coach who is working his magic in the backs.
Job done- it's time we modernise our coach system to match the talent in the players we have
Agree 100% :smt023 , this would also bring us more into line with many of our competitors.
However one thing does just worry me a little about Cockers, interviewed mid-match last night he seemed bereft of ideas other than saying 'we need to look after the ball'. Had he no idea or was he merely covering up for our relatively poor bench?
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

"Nik - At the end of the day the team should hang their heads in embarrassment - Ben Youngs (as a friend of mine suggests) should be 'rested' none of those boys - apart from Kitch/Salvi played for their shirt tonight."

I disagree, Balmain put in a shift in and Tait did'nt put a foot wrong. His only mistake was trying to take a high ball by running 30 yards to take it at ground level. It was never his ball to take as Heally referred to on BT.
Why do we persist in playing Goneve at OC, the guy cannot catch or pass a ..... ball!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fentiger wrote:
Nizzle1 wrote:Keep cockers, but get him help! He cannot, whether he likes it or not, control every aspect of the team!
Agree 100% :smt023 , this would also bring us more into line with many of our competitors.
However one thing does just worry me a little about Cockers, interviewed mid-match last night he seemed bereft of ideas other than saying 'we need to look after the ball'. Had he no idea or was he merely covering up for our relatively poor bench?
He was 100% right, as many others on here have commented. Keep the ball - keep hold of the ball - win the match.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote:
fentiger wrote:
He was 100% right, as many others on here have commented. Keep the ball - keep hold of the ball - win the match.
That, too me, is the oxymoron of the day. If you want to keep hold of the ball, why kick it away?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Yet again the same, moronic, boring, "wendy-ball"-esque calls for our DoR to go. Yet again those same posters do not have a realistic, sensible, available replacement.

A serious reality check is needed. The Premiership is nowhere near over; the Euro cup is 2 games in and we are effectively in joint 2nd place (please forgive my positive view!). Ulster, who have beaten us as a matter of course, home and away for the past few years, looked ordinary last week. By the time we get to play Toulon in December, notwithstanding any more injuries, we should be welcoming back some more players to the matchday squad. We missed Manu yesterday and we will be missing him for a good many weeks more so we just need to work around that. Toulon will have an off-day at some point and will not always win - fingers crossed it happens when we play them.

Getting back to the thread, I would challenge any DoR to deliver win after win with our depleted squad. We are missing virtually a full first or second choice squad. OK, maybe Ben Youngs is showing signs of fatigue, but let's not forget the performance he put in against Harlequins and Ulster. Freddie Burns has had a very much mixed start to his Tigers career, with his try last week redeeming him after some poor kicking from the tee.

Our relatively new Defence Coach is working with the depleted squad and is yet to show the defensive methods that led to his appointment. Our defence does need work as an ineffectual or indisciplined defence leads us to leak points, whether they be tries or penalties. I fail to see how calling for our DoR to go will address that.

We need to get behind our team and coaching staff and show them the support the whole club needs.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Big Dai wrote:
That, too me, is the oxymoron of the day. If you want to keep hold of the ball, why kick it away?
Thing is Dai, if Miles had kicked the ball out we might not have conceded the first try. There's always a time and place for kicking and there are times like that one, when it doesn't even need to be that accurate either. Not blaming Miles, just using one of several mistakes the side made as an example.
There was an article in the Merc, I think it was Julian Salvi they were talking to, about how the senior players would say nothing and let the younger, less experienced voice their views. This was down at the Oval park, so don't think the club are not trying different things and that all of the players don't get a say , last night was one of those where rustiness and lack of concentration caused us a whole heap of problems, on top of chasing the game.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

tigerburnie wrote:
Big Dai wrote:
Thing is Dai, if Miles had kicked the ball out we might not have conceded the first try. There's always a time and place for kicking and there are times like that one, when it doesn't even need to be that accurate either. Not blaming Miles, just using one of several mistakes the side made as an example.
There was an article in the Merc, I think it was Julian Salvi they were talking to, about how the senior players would say nothing and let the younger, less experienced voice their views. This was down at the Oval park, so don't think the club are not trying different things and that all of the players don't get a say , last night was one of those where rustiness and lack of concentration caused us a whole heap of problems, on top of chasing the game.
Kick the ball out!!! What!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've got to pick the thing up cleanly first!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Why kick it away?
Slow ball, lack of supporting numbers!
Cheery chappy
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Big Dai wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:
Big Dai wrote:
Kick the ball out!!! What!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've got to pick the effing thing up cleanly first!
He did pick it up, seemed to think about passing, turned and then just spilled the ball, he could have done better, he will know that and I am sure that moment will haunt him for a lot longer than it will bother us. He showed later that he offers some classy running and slipped through the Scarlets like a knife through butter more than once. He is how many games back from a long term injury?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

WirralExile wrote:Yet again the same, moronic, boring, "wendy-ball"-esque calls for our DoR to go. Yet again those same posters do not have a realistic, sensible, available replacement.

A serious reality check is needed. The Premiership is nowhere near over; the Euro cup is 2 games in and we are effectively in joint 2nd place (please forgive my positive view!). Ulster, who have beaten us as a matter of course, home and away for the past few years, looked ordinary last week. By the time we get to play Toulon in December, notwithstanding any more injuries, we should be welcoming back some more players to the matchday squad. We missed Manu yesterday and we will be missing him for a good many weeks more so we just need to work around that. Toulon will have an off-day at some point and will not always win - fingers crossed it happens when we play them.

Getting back to the thread, I would challenge any DoR to deliver win after win with our depleted squad. We are missing virtually a full first or second choice squad. OK, maybe Ben Youngs is showing signs of fatigue, but let's not forget the performance he put in against Harlequins and Ulster. Freddie Burns has had a very much mixed start to his Tigers career, with his try last week redeeming him after some poor kicking from the tee.

Our relatively new Defence Coach is working with the depleted squad and is yet to show the defensive methods that led to his appointment. Our defence does need work as an ineffectual or indisciplined defence leads us to leak points, whether they be tries or penalties. I fail to see how calling for our DoR to go will address that.

We need to get behind our team and coaching staff and show them the support the whole club needs.
Or???? Yet again the same, moronic, boring, "old-school tie"-esque calls for our DoR to stay as is un aided. I think many are looking for additional support and reshaping rather than replacement.

A serious reality check is needed. The Premiership is nowhere near over 6th is a realistic target, on current form the Euro cup is over after two games. Ulster, who have beaten us as a matter of course, home and away for the past few years, looked ordinary last week. As did we in the second half, By the time we get to play Toulon in December, notwithstanding any more injuries, we should be welcoming back some more players to the matchday squad. Which will add to more disruption viz Allen last night. We missed Manu, our single attacking tactic yesterday and we will be missing him for a good many weeks more so we desperately need to find attacking alternatives. Toulon will have an off-day at some point (2016?) and will not always win - fingers crossed it happens when we play them. So when all else fails we believe in luck??

I don't ask for win after win. It's the manner of defeat that is upsetting. Scarlets were depleted last night but made the most of their opportunities.