Mele's Red Card

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Mele's Red Card

Post by WirralExile »

Will there be any further consequences to David Mele's [rather harsh] red card late in the game on Saturday? I have not read anything about a citing, so am hopeful that the powers that be decide that the ref dealt with the perceived offence and there is no further case to answer.
In addition to the long, and getting longer, injury list, we don't want to be without Mele, who, in my opinion is an imaginative and exciting scrum half.

But.... if we do lose him to a ban, who could step up?
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Mele's Red Card

Post by kpj tiger »

Harrison? He was easily the best player for Tigers against Bath, if not Tressider who looked promising in the 7's
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Sadly, I think he will get a ban. I am minded because Williams got a lengthy ban for dangerous play that was not even picked up on during the match let alone a red card yet a shorter ban was dished out for a fist to the face in the same match.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Meles red card was harsh. He was nowhere need the players head and the player was on the wrong side. Mele had not had sight of the ball shooting out.
He will face a disciplinary and the red card may be deemed sufficient, be rescinded or given a ban
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

sapajo wrote:Sadly, I think he will get a ban. I am minded because Williams got a lengthy ban for dangerous play that was not even picked up on during the match let alone a red card yet a shorter ban was dished out for a fist to the face in the same match.
Williams got a ban for contact with the face area.
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote:
sapajo wrote:Sadly, I think he will get a ban. I am minded because Williams got a lengthy ban for dangerous play that was not even picked up on during the match let alone a red card yet a shorter ban was dished out for a fist to the face in the same match.
Williams got a ban for contact with the face area.
Precisely so is a deliberate punch to the face which unbelievably was adjudged a less serious offence :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Meles red card was harsh. He was nowhere need the players head and the player was on the wrong side. Mele had not had sight of the ball shooting out
How could the player be on the wrong side at the time of the raking incident if there is no ball in the ruck.
Mele made an error of judgement, thought he was in the right and was so wrong it was laughable, completely lost his head and rightly got punished for it.
By all means rake if that is your way but you run the risk, is the use of the studs illegal or not?
Cheery chappy
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Considering the mess we were in, Mele's actions were in my view reckless at least.
If you have sight of the ball then you can justify sensible use of the toe of the boot to remove the obstruction, hand or leg etc. I don't think he was sensible!
palletman

Post by palletman »

In my opinion Mele lost the plot, which was mainly caused by the awful display that was dished up. There was no excuse for his actions and he must be dealt with. He is a player who can turn a game in seconds and must have felt he should have been on the pitch a lot sooner. If it is Tigers loss should he be banned then so be it. Maybe other personal will learn from what was dished up on Saturday. What a shambles, what a shambles!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

It wasn't a stamp it was a rake with the studs and Attwood was blatantly on the wrong side making no attempt to roll away. A competent ref would have pinged Attwood before Mele used the boot.

He'll be banned. It was a very harsh red and you'll see identical incidents go without a card from Barnes in games this season. My opinion it was yellow at most.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Sam, have you seen the incident on tv. The ball was literally yards away. Poor old Mele didn't notice the ball had gone and assumed the big lump was slowing it down. It was quite comical.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It was wrong but it wasn't dangerous play and accordingly red was the wrong decision :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

One week ban free to play 30 sept. Gives Harrison a chance at the weekend. Could be worse
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Have you got a link, Downsouth?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

www.matthampson.co.uk