Team Vs London Irish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Team Vs London Irish

Post by baz1664 »

mike wrote:I also was not too downcast after yesterday as in many ways I thought we did better than expected . We could have won had Balmain not come back - our long haired young prop seems quite lively and the scrum certainly went better when he was on . Lets hope Cockerill saw what happens when you have a big , fast No 8 carrying the ball - perhaps he might give him a bit more than 90 seconds next time . Mathew Tait was extremely disappointing - indecisive and offering nothing in attack - Scully for full back ?
What stick Scully at full back, move Tait into centre and move Williams to fly half.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

baz1664 wrote:Whats happened to loamanu, arrived fit and ready to go and now he has disappeared, a must at least to start on the bench due to the amount of positions he can play.

Disappointing defeat yesterday, if burns had kicked his goals we would have won, his kicking game was poor, and didn't manage the game very well, Williams must start next week, I would give the 2 young props a run out next week, both look promising, Balmain looks heavy and sluggish around the park, doesn't offer much in the scrum as well. Would make Kitch or Salvi as captain, Youngs isn't the man for the job. It was embarrassing the amount of turn over ball we gave away in the maul, ref was poor tho and missed so many infringements, nothing for the punch on Gibson was a disgrace, what rule book was he playing from??
Loamanu picked up a injury after this bench appearance in the first week.

Balmain was effective around the pitch yesterday and made a brilliant turnover in the second half think you are being harsh on him there.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Balmain tried his best but seemed out on his feet after 50 minutes, Pasquali and Brugnara seem fresh and more impactive, lets hope Rizzo and Munipola get fit soon.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don't think anyone is saying Balmain played badly - he simply ran out of steam and and for reasons that would probably befuddle Einstein, Tigers didn't sub him when Pasquale demonstrated he was up to it.
He's 22, playing the most demanding position in the pack. It was not his fault we lost. Failure to sub him was a significant part in that loss. That's not his fault - he will get stronger, technically better and more efficient, but I do wonder if our DOR will get wiser.
metalmann
Tiger Cub

Post by metalmann »

Brugnara did not come on only pasquali think bristow played 80 mins. Interesting to see what rizzo is going to be like. He has not played for a while and straight in to the starting line up without any game time is asking for trouble imo.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

A couple of comments to add from me…

The BAD: 1) intelligent attack is almost non-existent. One opportunist Goneva try in 160 minutes + of rugby. When Irish had 14 either side of HT did anyone notice? A controversial point maybe but I've said it before - in Geordan Murphy's book he harps on about how Tigers weren't willing to play with his adventure in the backs. Now he's in charge where is all the FLAIR? 2) What does Sam Harrison have to do to get a game? He was the only player who showed any fight at Bath and didn't get an opportunity on Saturday despite the fact Youngs had another mare 3) Decision-making: poor substitutions, Crane's late hit for the yellow was unprofessional and we turned down a kick at goal after Burns missed his first couple - why not let Owen take over?

The Good: 1) Defence was better, 2) Bristow showed promise, 3) Scully never lets you down, 4) the crowd was bigger than I expected and encouraged the players…

The Very Good: Irish on the handicap betting +13 was just about the easiest money I've ever made in my life!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I am very surpised about the amount of underestimating some people gave L.Irish.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Soggypitch wrote:Players gave 100% but we are a team massively lacking in confidence.
If the team is massively lacking in confidence after just 3 games, two of which were victories, then there's something deeply wrong with the management of the players.

I think the repeated line about us 'lacking in confidence' is just an easy speculative excuse for underperforming. These players and this team is too good and has been at the top too long to be 'massively lacking in confidence'. Whatever they are lacking, to claim that this is the problem is not really much of a defence. If it takes so little, then either the players are more spineless than anyone could imagine or the player management is horrifically inept.

Which do you think it is?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Doubt it is the management that is letting them down in confidence.

The fact of the matter is supporters have it easier to voice there views towards players than ever before, supporters who will never in there wildest dreams ever know what the pressure of the game can take especially with supporters who are a self entitled as tiger fans can be. Not just some supporters but the media as well the press have rubbed tigers noses in last weeks defeat in some cases a nasty gloating way.

This is a very young team who has just come of the back of one of the largest defeats in Leicester's long history, and to be nilled to boot. To think that thy would be anything but low in confidence is idiotic.

The players are far less spineless than the idiotic online supporters who try to undermine them at every fault.
MICKW

Post by MICKW »

There are several topics in this reply and I apologise in advance.
I am a season ticket holder and have been for a number of years. My complaint is that I am paying to watch a first, second and third team play. When was the last time that we fielded what you could call our first team and subs? It's like paying to watch a top band and then arriving to find its a tribute band but you pay the full price. I know the injuries and horrendous and internationals take players away but I'd like to see a decent team on the pitch occasionally.
I am also thinking that we will be fielding the Acadamy team in the LV cup and for the Barbarians game, but the club want us to buy a ticket for the latter.
My second complaint is in relation to the Acadamy players. There were approx. 18 came through the ranks with Sam Harrison and Manu, but they are the only two left. Why? Look at Leicester City, they now have a number of Man Utd youngsters who were rejected by that club and they beat a team of over paid superstars!
I cannot understand who makes the decision to bring on replacements and why.
Miles Benjamin looked totally bewildered when he was taken off and so were most of the crowd. We then eventually bring on Matt Smith who had a load of strapping on one knee and didn't look fit.
I think Williams is a better place kicker than Burns and we only used him once!
The players on Saturday didn't lack commitment but the general play was poor. These are professional players and they should be able to pass and catch a rugby ball!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

MICKW wrote:I cannot understand who makes the decision to bring on replacements and why.
Miles Benjamin looked totally bewildered when he was taken off and so were most of the crowd.
It was tactical. Crane was in the sin bin and the scrum needed bolstering so Barbieri was sent on to give a full compliment. That necessitated a back coming off. Miles was in his first game back and started rather than being introduced from the bench or having game time in the A League so it must have seemed sensible to the coaching staff to take Miles off and preserve him for the next game. While he is getting back to match hardness I believe this was a sensible decision. Personally I'd rather see Miles on for 60 mins and then a sub sent on whilst he is getting what equates to a pre-season for him.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!