Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Armitage

Post by G.K »

Err - we beat Wales last time out.. :smt017
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

G.K wrote:Err - we beat Wales last time out.. :smt017
I'm sure you know precisely which debacle I am talking about - the March 2013 one, which showed the backrow issues up for what they were against a fully-functioning Wales, not the declining team of 2014.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Saint Andre is looking at 10 players who are thinking about playing for France. He said that “Eventually they will declare their love for France. But I can tell you that the ten players are very much in love with France,” These are the players he is looking at

Uini Atonio (La Rochelle), François van der Merwe (Racing Métro), Steffon Armitage (Toulon), Alex Tulou (Montpellier), Rory Kockott (Castres), Brock James (Clermont), Blair Connor (Bordeaux Bègles), Noa Nakaitaci (Clermont), David Smith (Toulon), Scott Spedding (Brive
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

James is past his best and Kockott is a total liability temperament-wise. Barrel-scraping a bit with those two.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

jgriffin wrote:
I'm sure you know precisely which debacle I am talking about - the March 2013 one, which showed the backrow issues up for what they were against a fully-functioning Wales, not the declining team of 2014.
I do also recall that we had a lot of problems at the scrum in the 2013 game, so I guess that means maybe we should drop TY and replace him with say Neil Clark?

Note I don't rate Lancaster that highly but I do agree with him on this aspect (along with eliminating dwarf throwing etc.).
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I saw somewhere there was to be a proposal that, in future, residency was to be ignored and you could only play for a country that you held a passport for. I would support that proposal.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Old Hob wrote:I saw somewhere there was to be a proposal that, in future, residency was to be ignored and you could only play for a country that you held a passport for. I would support that proposal.
How long did it take Zola Budd to get a passport? (I know she had a British grandparent)

I wouldn’t have a problem if the rules said you could only represent the country where you (or possibly your parents) were born and once you had played representative sport there was no changing under any circumstances short of border changes. But they don’t so Manu represents England and I am glad to see him in the shirt.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

G.K wrote:I do also recall that we had a lot of problems at the scrum in the 2013 game, so I guess that means maybe we should drop TY and replace him with say Neil Clark?
If Neil Clark is world class, yes; if not, irrelevant.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

G.K wrote:
jgriffin wrote:
I do also recall that we had a lot of problems at the scrum in the 2013 game, so I guess that means maybe we should drop TY and replace him with say Neil Clark?

Note I don't rate Lancaster that highly but I do agree with him on this aspect (along with eliminating dwarf throwing etc.).
Not the first time Lancaster has eliminated something that never happened, or restored something that was never lost except in the media:
Contemporary (and very critical report) Guardian 15th Sept 2011:
"For what it's worth, those players involved apparently did nothing more scandalous than visit a bar, pose for a few pictures and return unaccompanied to their lakeside hotel. They even went out with the full permission of the management, who purposely chose Queenstown as a base this week to allow the players to relax following last Saturday's tough game against Argentina. The locals have not been remotely offended. "They were great lads, not throwing the midgets, it was all light-hearted, good-humoured fun," insisted Rich Deane, manager of Queenstown's Altitude Bar. So that's all right then. Prince Harry wasn't even there."
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Of course it helps if players hoping to play for England are available for all England training sessions and squad meetings, players plying their trade in outside of the Premiership are not always available unless it is written into their contract, there fore should not be considered for selection.
Stephan Armitage is a class act but when he moved to France for a big wage as was his right, he forfeited the chance of selection for England whilst playing abroad. There is no way that it should be possible for him to play for France, once a decision on nationality is made by an adult, that should be it.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

johnthegriff wrote:Of course it helps if players hoping to play for England are available for all England training sessions and squad meetings, players plying their trade in outside of the Premiership are not always available unless it is written into their contract, there fore should not be considered for selection.
Stephan Armitage is a class act but when he moved to France for a big wage as was his right, he forfeited the chance of selection for England whilst playing abroad. There is no way that it should be possible for him to play for France, once a decision on nationality is made by an adult, that should be it.
I support your opinion as an opinion. It is contrary to the facts and the rules. If England have any aspirations toward success in 2015 they need to put out the best possible squad within the rules.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I seem to remember both the Armitages playing for England and were frankly not up to it, both were dropped because of form. So if France are desperate and the lads want to play at international level, then maybe they should be allowed to play for who they want under the rules.Manu plays for England, he might go back to the country of his birth in the future, England will no doubt finish with his services, why does that have to stop a player from playing and earning the accolades/wages that go with international sport.Cricket has swapped players around for years, ditto most other sports, if the rule changes allow it, what can possibly be the problem?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I say good luck to the man, if the English authority still refuse to pick him because he plays for a french club, then it's hard luck on them, after al he was the European player of the season last year. I hope the French select him to play for them, particularly against England and that he scores a try in a French winning side. I don't know any better way of sticking two fingers up at the shower that run English rugby.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

How very patriotic of you Noddy and what superb man management. We say to all the players that have resisted the temptation of big Euro payouts and made themselves available for England training and squad sessions "stuff you we are picking some one else". That would be great for team spirit.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

johnthegriff wrote:How very patriotic of you Noddy and what superb man management. We say to all the players that have resisted the temptation of big Euro payouts and made themselves available for England training and squad sessions "stuff you we are picking some one else". That would be great for team spirit.
Sad post. :smt018
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95