Teams Up v Cardiff

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Teams Up v Cardiff

Post by Bunchy »

Strong 1st XV - seems like no Parling or Tom Youngs for a little while at least - not seen Louis Deacon either in pre season I believe, leaving second row looking a little light...
Less is more....
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams Up

Post by sapajo »

I assume Parling picked up a knock against Edingburgh but not heard that either Deacon or Tom Youngs are injured?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Here's the link .. http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/206 ... _8z9cVdU7k

Stronger squad, as expected.
A shame Loamanu is not having a run out.
I'm probably well behind the curve here, but does anyone know anything about Paul Grant? Named on the extended bench, but he doesn't seem to be listed as either a Dev or Academy player.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

MurphysLaw wrote:Paul Grant? Named on the extended bench, but he doesn't seem to be listed as either a Dev or Academy player.
I was caught out by that name, after a quick search Nottingham have a player on their books for this season called Paul Grant, He is a New Zealander who plays back row (which corresponds with his position on the bench) and has played for Otago and Montpellier as well as NZ sevens
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Thanks kpj.
I thought we were well covered with back row players, but with Mafi gone and Pearce and Matera out for a while, maybe sensible to take a look at other possibles.

Just checked, and found that he played at No8 for Nottm in the recent friendly - and scored. Maybe he impressed Cockers. Seems he was captain when at Otago, and according to web stats he's 26 years old, 1.93m, and 108 kgs
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

No Owen Williams, is he fit?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Ads677 wrote:No Owen Williams, is he fit?
Sadly he is still suspended.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UxmpZePGdS8
http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/282665 ... ires-salvo

Decent looking ball carrying eight who can also play second row. Likes an offload and is strong at carrying the ball from the base of the scrum. He has to have something to be a captain at 26. As has been previously said he's played for Otago, Montpellier, NZ sevens and according to that article he should have been given the chance to play for the highlanders in super rugby. Hopefully he develops here.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams Up v Cardiff

Post by Soggypitch »

Has Tom Youngs featured at all pre season? Is he unfit or is there still a personal issue with his wife's illness....I hope she responded well to the summer treatment. A difficult time for the family.

Where is Tom Croft? Very light in 2nd row with no Parling, Deacon, Thorne and Slater.
Soggypitch
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Sp, I am not sure about Tom Youngs, but I would guess that the management are keen for all of the fit players to get a run out, and to try new combinations. Players new to the Club also need to get used to the calls and moves - hence no Tom Croft on this occasion.

The locks are arguably light in terms of experience, and are perhaps missing a little 'grunt' when compared to Deacs and Slater, but I think the second row combination of Kitch and De Chaves is far from light in terms of height and weight.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Parling went for a big hit against Edinburgh in the first half and appeared to be winded, but then in more distress and went off. Could be anything and nothing - my guess is either concussion or a chest injury.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

On the TV it looked like a shoulder injury to Parling last week, hopefully his absence is just precautionary. I think this starting 15 will be pretty close to the one that welcomes Alex back to WR next week. Last week the starting 15 stayed on longer than I expected and it will be interesting to see how the bench is used tonight.

I can only guess that Paul Grant's place on the bench is to show him the two steps and go to ground technique and to forget all this running half the length of the pitch malarky as shown on his YouTube show reel :smt003

I'm not expecting fireworks tonight but hope for a more determined performance than last week. I know it's only a warm-up game but it's for real next week and Deano's Falcons, bolstered by a couple of Samoans, are perfectly capable of being an early banana skin. Remember Exeter spoiling the show a few seasons ago? But I'm sure all will be well. :smt023
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

For those interested, here is the Cardiff Blues team/squad for this evening, courtesy of their web site.

Sam Hobbs, Thomas Davies, Matthew Rees, Rhys Williams, Kristian Dacey, Craig Mitchell, Adam Jones, Scott Andrews, Miles Normandale, Chris Dicomidis, Filo Paulo, Rory Watts-Jones, Jevon Groves, Ieuan Jones, Macauley Cook, Josh Navidi, Josh Turnbull, Sam Warburton, Ellis Jenkins, Manoa Vosawai, Lloyd Williams, Lewis Jones, Tavis Knoyle, Rhys Patchell, Simon Humberstone, Richard Smith, George Watkins, Dan Fish, Owen Jenkins, Cory Allen, Gavin Evans, Dafydd Hewitt, Adam Thomas, Geraint Walsh.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I enjoyed the unexpected coverage of the Melrose game last week.
I can't remember who posted the link.
Does anyone know if there will be a similar showing of tonight's game?
A life long Tiger
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Croft and Gibson not playing due to "knocks", Parling took a bang to the head and Matera is badly crocked and we may look into injury dispensation because of that...

according to the merc
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leicestertigers
Less is more....