Another Premiership/RFU Fiasco!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Another Premiership/RFU Fiasco!

Post by Noggs »

When will they ever learn? The RFU sign a binding agreement with the IRB to host the world cup during the Premiership playing season without ever discussing the size of the compensation package to the Premiership clubs for the disruption to their season and resultant costs of having a 2 month period without any fixtures. You couldn't make it up!

It therefore comes as no surprize that the two side are miles apart in what is requested and what is offered and to add insult to injury the RFU are apparently trying to tie their offer into the results of negotiations yet to commence on the general Premiership/RFU relationship post the expiration of the current agreement.

As a result of this total ineptitude the clubs are now threatening to play on throughout the World Cup period which would be damaging to both competitions. When will the RFU ever get its act together?
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Another Premiership/RFU Fiasco!

Post by h's dad »

Noggs wrote:When will they ever learn? The RFU sign a binding agreement with the IRB to host the world cup during the Premiership playing season without ever discussing the size of the compensation package to the Premiership clubs for the disruption to their season and resultant costs of having a 2 month period without any fixtures. You couldn't make it up!

It therefore comes as no surprize that the two side are miles apart in what is requested and what is offered and to add insult to injury the RFU are apparently trying to tie their offer into the results of negotiations yet to commence on the general Premiership/RFU relationship post the expiration of the current agreement.

As a result of this total ineptitude the clubs are now threatening to play on throughout the World Cup period which would be damaging to both competitions. When will the RFU ever get its act together?
Are you sure you're not overstating the case? I didn't realise things were breaking down to this extent. I understood there had been discussion if no agreement yet. I thought there had been mostly amicable discussion with the objective of reaching agreement by the end of the year (although I am sceptical of that being achieved). The PRL's initial claim for £14million does seem excessive.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

Old farts doing what they do best. Pass me a prawn sandwich and a glass of claret.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

I am happy to watch Tigers less all World Cup players as I cannot imagine going 5 months without watching live rugby. Failing that we will drop down to watch Championship rugby during the World Cup. The World Cup we plan to watch on TV.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

I saw the article in the Rugby Paper but I think it was another slow week for their hacks, hence the article's prominence on the front page.
PS, I didn't buy the paper...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

With an off season of three months there are only seven revenue generating months. With a turnover of circa £20 million that represents a loss of income to Tigers of a possible £2.8 million.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Its pretty incredible that this was not agreed as part of the bid. It would be only forgivable if the RFU were dominated by volunteers, rather than bloated salaries.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

johns wrote:With an off season of three months there are only seven revenue generating months. With a turnover of circa £20 million that represents a loss of income to Tigers of a possible £2.8 million.
There will be the same number of games in the season. Are you really assuming that the extra games in the active months will be played to empty stadia and reduced sponsorship, especially tv which can still show the same number of games? The overall revenue difference will be minimal with difference principally of timing. Are you expecting a 14% reduction in the cost of a season ticket despite getting the same number of games?
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

If they have to shoehorn the games in to midweek fixtures to get the season finished on time (no extensions will be allowed due to player welfare agreements), then there will be a drop in revenue for the clubs.

If midweek fixtures were to be introduced then BT would be unlikely to want to pay as much for the rights to those games as they would, possibly, be up against european football.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

cidermark wrote:If they have to shoehorn the games in to midweek fixtures to get the season finished on time (no extensions will be allowed due to player welfare agreements), then there will be a drop in revenue for the clubs.

If midweek fixtures were to be introduced then BT would be unlikely to want to pay as much for the rights to those games as they would, possibly, be up against european football.
It's during the third year of a four year deal. There may be some wriggle room but I doubt BT are going to say 'oops, we've changed our minds.' They were probably more aware of a world cup coming up than PRL or RFU. Due to the reasons you point out they may be able to exert some influence as to when some matches take place (or even more so than they do at the moment).
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

jonlin wrote:Old farts doing what they do best. Pass me a prawn sandwich and a glass of claret.

"If I must have a prawn sandwich I won't be swilling it down with red wine.I may be an old fart but I am not a Philistine".
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

Phil B wrote:
jonlin wrote:Old farts doing what they do best. Pass me a prawn sandwich and a glass of claret.

"If I must have a prawn sandwich I won't be swilling it down with red wine.I may be an old fart but I am not a Philistine".
You protest to loudly. Your name was not even mentioned.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

My response was in inverted commas (Speech marks). I was speaking on behalf of all of the so-called old farts, but unfortunately my attempt at humour was too well disguised. :smt039
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I fail to see how we will lose any money from this at all. We will not play fewer games, if there is no clash with the RWC we will not need a larger squad that season so will save wages, WR will not be used any less on non-matchdays.

If cash flow is such a crucial concern start the season in August (like they have done in the past) then suspend it for the 6 weeks the RWC is on, we regularly go 6 weeks without a home game during the second half of the season. You could host the LV Cup in the 4 weekends of August then the 2 free weekends in September before the RWC.

There are many solutions to this alleged problem without lazily demanding a handout from the RFU.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

You are probably right sk88, there are many solutions, but why should the clubs be messed around if they have been excluded in favour of football stadia.
If football stadia was selcted to increase ticket sales and profit then spread that profit around so the rugby clubs can improve in the future and leave a good legacy from the tournament.
If it's just for the RFU to make a quick buck and boost their own and the IRB coffers, why should clubs be penalised at all and why should they even bother to be fexible if there is no benefit to them.
It may seem petty to some but I would ask anyone out there if they were run over roughshod by anyone would they still lean over backwards to accomodate them.
Cheery chappy