Women's World cup on TV?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Women's World cup on TV?

Post by loretta »

Anyone know of a pub in S leicestershire where the final will be shown?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Women's World cup on TV?

Post by drc_007 »

Brilliant performance by England, now World Champions.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Didn't get to see it, but very pleased with the result!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Brilliant performance. They really stuck with it. Watched most of it - how great to see the women's game on TV.
amber

Post by amber »

Interesting to read in today's paper that some of the players in today's final play for ladies clubs such as Worcester ladies Bristol ladies. Saracens have a ladies team when will tigers have a ladies team? We'll done ladies it was a great game. Shame you don't get the recognition and sponsorship you deserve. Brilliant achievement I wish I was younger I would love to have played I am too old now keep up the good work
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

amber wrote:Interesting to read in today's paper that some of the players in today's final play for ladies clubs such as Worcester ladies Bristol ladies. Saracens have a ladies team when will tigers have a ladies team? We'll done ladies it was a great game. Shame you don't get the recognition and sponsorship you deserve. Brilliant achievement I wish I was younger I would love to have played I am too old now keep up the good work
This has been discussed on here a few times. On the face of it, it looks pretty bad. However, I think it's a bit more complicated than that. There is a women's team in Loughborough and the local Premiership team is based in Lichfield. If Leicester were to set up their own team, it might take players away from other local teams (less likely Lichfield unless Leicester's team were to make it into the Premiership). As it stands, I'd settle for Tigers supporting Lichfield, maybe offering Welford Road for a couple of their home games if logistics allow (that said, I'm not sure what Lichfield's playing facilities are like at the moment anyway, and given that Tigers have tweeted a couple of Lichfield's England players, perhaps they do have something to do with them).

It could be all change now though. Since England have won the World Cup, we might see an increasing number of girls and women taking up rugby so it may be that the Midlands could support another women's team without damaging existing ones.

On the topic of today's game, it was a cracker to watch- best one of the weekend. The men's team could stand to watch a replay of the first try as a lesson in support play and some basic skills that so many of them sadly seem to lack in game situations. A great achievement today and so well deserved.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

http://www.skysports.com/rugbyunion/mat ... _1,00.html

And here's a brief bit of footage, including the tries.

Huge shame it wasn't on terrestrial TV so anyone could have seen it in it's entirety.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

An excellent performance all round. A Dogged defence kept Canada out when they looked dangerous and my woman of the match Emily Scarrat scored a scintillating try where she beat almost half the canadian team to score. I was particularly pleased for Maggi Alphonsi as that was her last game and she has been such an ambassador for the women's game.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Must say that Emily Scarratt is the most amazing mixture of balance and power as a runner I've seen in men's or women's rugby since Jerry Guscott in his prime.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Noddy555 wrote:my woman of the match Emily Scarrat scored a scintillating try where she beat almost half the canadian team to score.
I sincerely doubt that's only your view given she scored all but 5 of England's points! She's been brilliant for years, I played for the local rival club to Lichfield, and even we knew about her. As DickyP says, her outside break is Guscott-esque, but as shown by her try yesterday she's got an inside break that'll break your heart.

Personally I thought the skill level of the squad as a whole was the most impressive facet. Especially in the back row, as I've seen Heather Fisher play some absolutely barnstorming rugby rugby before, and she couldn't even get in the 22 thanks to the quality of Alphonsi, Packer, Hunter and Matthews.

As for Leicester women's I believe there is a team in Leicester, because I'm pretty sure, though maybe someone else can check this, that Scarratt came from a team in Leicester, something like Leicester Greens or Forest maybe. As mentioned the point has been made that if Tigers were to set up a team with the intent of supporting elite women's rugby, previously it has been thought that it would likely undermine the teams already doing that job in the area, in particular Lichfield. Perhaps this will no longer be the case if there a surge in the uptake of women's rugby, but unless there really was a gap that needed to be filled, I'm not sure I would support Tigers subsuming the other teams in the area. I'm unsure how involved at this stage Tigers are with women's rugby, but I would hope, especially given the success of our wheelchair team, that we'd have some involvement in it, even if it were only supporting Lichfield to some extent. Basically read TigerAlex's post, very good :smt023
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Forgot to mention Natsha Hunt, who probably gave the performance of her career, special moment got a special performance.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

youngtiger wrote:As for Leicester women's I believe there is a team in Leicester, because I'm pretty sure, though maybe someone else can check this, that Scarratt came from a team in Leicester, something like Leicester Greens or Forest maybe.
You might mean Old Newts who are right next to Leicester Forest. They're in the same leaque as Lutterworth Ladies. I think there's a team on Covert Lane as well, not sure if it's Stoneygate or Jimmies.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

h's dad wrote:
youngtiger wrote:As for Leicester women's I believe there is a team in Leicester, because I'm pretty sure, though maybe someone else can check this, that Scarratt came from a team in Leicester, something like Leicester Greens or Forest maybe.
You might mean Old Newts who are right next to Leicester Forest. They're in the same leaque as Lutterworth Ladies. I think there's a team on Covert Lane as well, not sure if it's Stoneygate or Jimmies.
So I've had a look as I had the time, apparently second time's a charm: http://www.rfu.com/squadsandplayers/wom ... ilyscaratt
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

youngtiger wrote:
h's dad wrote:
So I've had a look as I had the time, apparently second time's a charm: http://www.rfu.com/squadsandplayers/wom ... ilyscaratt
Sorry, I misread your query about Emily. I'm fairly sure Leicester Forest don't have a ladies team at the moment - they're just starting to try and get a junior girls section going so presumably it's an attempt at resurrection. I hadn't realised they had ever had a girls section. Maybe a local can give a little more info - they should be proud.

Well done England Ladies.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

At least they made it onto the news! Interview on NewsNight tonight.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.