Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Captaincy

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Rugby ... story.html

I think he is the future, but is Geoff Parling the man for now?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Captaincy

Post by Noddy555 »

This is a no brainer Slater is the obvious choice for captancy with Anthony Allen & Tom Croft as his deputies. Perhaps then we can put this facile thread to bed.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

For those who can see the obvious, A British and Irish Lion, who would have captained the midweek side, had he not been called up to the test side is also a very clear candidate.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Noddy555 wrote:This is a no brainer Slater is the obvious choice for captancy with Anthony Allen & Tom Croft as his deputies. Perhaps then we can put this facile thread to bed.
A no brainier would be someone who is not willing to consider other alternatives. How is it a facile thread when the DOR has said it is something that needs to be discussed. Surely the point of the forum is for people to put forward their views :smt006
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

definetly would pick slater he did good when he captained the side last season and is looking a real prospect. expecting big things to come from him
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I would have Slater as first choice - he gives the impression of being a good leader and having a good rugby brain.

Croft or Allen perhaps but Allen doesn't strike me a a leader and poor old Crofty seems to reel from one injury to another when he's not away with England!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

No problem with either Slater or Parling - both will prove to be excellent captains - Vice Captain is a totally different proposition - I "think" I would choose someone who will not be missing during the international windows - Salvi to me is the obvious choice not Croft or Allen.
Hehehehehehehehe
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

A great captain isn't always the best player in the side. A captain commands the respect of the players and uses judgment and motivation on the field of play and leads by example when things aren't going to plan. I have no problem with Ed as club captain but we have other candidates as well.
OTY could do a job, from what I've seen, although now is not the right time. Salvi and Parling would also be great candidates IMHO
Noddles: why facile? I'm guessing we're working from different dictionaries...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Slater, as noted on this forum by others is, IMHO, out of the Jonno mould. Something this club has sorely missed for a good few seasons.
I didn't notice his impending step up to the job last season until he was appointed, but he has grabbed the opportunity with both hands, and, I feel, should be given the nod this coming season :smt023
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

L Smith wrote:Noddles: why facile? I'm guessing we're working from different dictionaries...
Most if not all of Noddos posting are facile by his definition! :smt003

Parling is an obvious candidate (as is Slater). Allen, Croft and Youngs (x2) shoulds also be considered. :smt023
Still keeping the faith!
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

For me Slates deserves it. He's the ideal captain, a big physical forward who intimidates the ref and loves set pieces. We do have lots of options though. The likes of Parling, Croft, Allen, Deacon and OTY could all take on the position. Ghiraldini also has experience of captaining Italy but I can't see him getting it with OTY ahead of him and having just arrived. Really excited for next season!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Parling is an option but personally I would leave him to concentrate on running the line out which he has developed into an art form. Slater is a lead by example captain and should get the position IMO.
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Well, that's 2nd row sorted then!
Tigers - true Champions!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Bill (w) 2 sorry bill it was probably the wrong word but I think you know what I meant, as for Smurphswillgetya you seem to be the only one that thinks
that apart from Parling there is any other choice. I would happily go with Parling, but I think Slater has a bigger on field presence and from what I've seen so far both at the Tigers and for the Lions, I think Slater is a natural born leader. It's nice to know that I'm not in the minoritythis time.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I wouldn't go with Parling simply because he's likely to be with England for great chunks of the season.