Neil Back and The Rugby Paper

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

beech

Neil Back and The Rugby Paper

Post by beech »

Has anyone read Neil Back's comments in The Rugby Paper? I think his analysis is wide of the mark. There were two main problems last season - injuries to key players and defensive weaknesses. Hopefully the injury situation will improve and the appoin
tment of a defense coach will overcome the other. The fact that senior players are staying with us makes me optimistic about next season.
tf22
os99

Re: Neil Back and The Rugby Paper

Post by os99 »

beech wrote:Has anyone read Neil Back's comments in The Rugby Paper? I think his analysis is wide of the mark. There were two main problems last season - injuries to key players and defensive weaknesses. Hopefully the injury situation will improve and the appoin
tment of a defense coach will overcome the other. The fact that senior players are staying with us makes me optimistic about next season.
What comments did he make?
beech

Post by beech »

It was part of a long article but two extracts are 'the club must improve their 'woeful' attacking game' and 'the game has moved on and you can't just rely on your set-piece and defence any more'. To suggest that we were relying on the defence seems very strange as IMO problems here resulted in some of our disapointing results - hence a positive reaction to the appointment of a defence coach.
tf22
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I feel sorry for my friend & namesake Neil, he was dealt a raw deal by Leeds after a glorious career with Tigers and England, I don't know whether he has found himself a new full time job yet, but he did seem a little depressed when I last spoke to him in March this year. Perhaps his comments in the Rugby paper were taken out of context.
MPG

Post by MPG »

Noddy555 wrote:I feel sorry for my friend & namesake Neil, he was dealt a raw deal by Leeds after a glorious career with Tigers and England, I don't know whether he has found himself a new full time job yet, but he did seem a little depressed when I last spoke to him in March this year. Perhaps his comments in the Rugby paper were taken out of context.
Haven't read the article but will try and source it.

Saw him after the Prem Final at Twickers and had a long chat - as he couldn't get his car out of the car park for H&S reasons due to the road being closed!

He was in good spirits and was really enjoying time off with the family at holiday times like Christmas, Easter and just recently which he was never able to manage during his FT playing / coaching career. He's got various roles at present - but wasn't averse to another coaching role if a good one came along.

In fact he was off to a speaking engagement - although he had 24 miles to go across London in 15 mins. I wished him luck!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think many have opinions on how Leicester play but if these comments are correct and not journalistic twist, I guess he's as much out of touch with how Tigers play as the rest of them.

As for relying on set piece and defence? These, were our key problems last season.
Scrum was weakened by injuries - our starting props effectively had to play the whole game.
Our rolling maul was pretty toothless compared to some.
As for defence - mid table at best.

Our attack was at times sublime. (Although frequently unused by our aimless kicking game)
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I do not think anyone can say for sure what Leicester's style of play was intended to be last season as too many injuries were suffered.
Anyone that can't see that or refuses to accept it as an impact on style is just making assumptions for the sake of it IMO.
A sensible view is that we struggled to settle due to the squad being so unsettled and individuals such as Goneva had some brilliant attacking moments, but the team play was clearly affected by injuries.
Cheery chappy
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Can't think that any of us have anything but the utmost respect & gratitude for NB's deeds for the club. Pity then that the article seems to have been written by that well known journalist Phil Space and reads like an advert for something, a job or an event that needs publicity.
Sam Vesty's dream team at bottom of the page was much more interesting.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Attack wasn't the problem last year imo, it was defence.

And the club have signed a defence coach to sort it out. Good stuff.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Phil Blake has done more than defence coaching in the past - he may take on a Matt O'Connor type role influencing both.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

My Opinions of the journalist Phil Blake are best left unsaid safe to say he is typical of the dearth of good sports reporters around these days.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Noddy555 wrote:My Opinions of the journalist Phil Blake are best left unsaid safe to say he is typical of the dearth of good sports reporters around these days.
I could have sworn that Phil Blake was the new coach Tigers had appointed.

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:My Opinions of the journalist Phil Blake are best left unsaid safe to say he is typical of the dearth of good sports reporters around these days.
I could have sworn that Phil Blake was the new coach Tigers had appointed.

:smt003
Don't swear but you could well be right!
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Bertos wrote:Link to the article below:

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured ... n-nothing/
I read this article as a part CV ( with no mention of his terrible experience at Rugby lions ) and a job application for an excellent player whose skills are at present lost from the game.
I wonder if he tried unsuccessfully to become the Tigers defence coach? hence his comments as to what is required. Good Luck Backy your skills are missed !