Tigers v Saracens - threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Saracens - threads merged

Post by MrPartridge »

Tigers performance was what it was: a team who didn't know each other struggling to get any momentum. 31-27 sounds like a thriller but a scrappy mess in all honesty. I suggest it was a match neither team really wanted.

On the positives: I thought Mafi and Scully out their hands up to deserve consideration next week. Injury to Williams looked bad and he had his leg in a protector at the end. Parling wouldn't be a huge loss as we are well stocked there. No idea on Mele situation.

Croft did 20 at the end and seemed OK - which is great news. However he was blowing after 10 and seemed to play mostly on the wing! I'd be surprised if he featured in 23 next week. Through no fault of his own he is just rusty.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Was it me or did Toby seem to be blowing a bit at the end? I suppose it was probably his first full 80 minutes for a while, but we'll need him to start next week if Owen is as badly injured as being suggested elsewhere.

Ironically for Owen's Welsh chances it seemd Priestland got crocked yesterday as well and is likely to miss tour.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Let's face it the game was one we should have won at a canter after we got 16 points ahead and only got close because we gave them two sloppy tries when were totally dominant.

Steve Mafi went well but was obviously puffing by the time he went off; and it's not far off being solely down to Crofty that we didn't give up any more.

I'm not that much of a fan of Dan Bowden although he's improved immensly this season but I though he did superbly against his opposite number 12 who outweighs him and is 4" (13 cm) taller!

Assuming Crane is fit for No 8, after Waldrom's shocker yesterday, it's got to be Matera or Croft covering the back-row on the bench against Saints. I'd also rather see Scully (or Skully as the Big Screen spelled his name yesterday!) or Morris at full back rather than Tait who was very poor yesterday (having been out-of-sorts in most games lately): he'd make a far better impact player from the bench as he can cover so many positions.

And yesterday proved once more what we all know - Tigers defending with Ant Allen are a totally different team.
Last edited by DickyP on Sun May 11, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

I was concerned that players looked tired and even jaded, even in first half: am hoping firstly that Cockers gives them some good time off to relax and have fun before Friday, and secondly, that the prospect of beating Saints will be a greater motivator than facing Sarries seconds. Come on the lads, Tigers forever!
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

DickyP - Can you explain to me why Tait was so poor on Sunday?

From my observations Tait was sound under the high ball made his tackles (two of which were last man tackles on Taylor and their no 8).
I can accept thatTait has not reached the heights of last season with ball in hand, however Leicetser have not played that brand or rugby this season.

Scully gives 110% and is a great competitore in the air, but his defence lets him down at times (gave away two tries in two games in April) and he lacks real cutting edge in attack.
Morris and Tait work well in the back three and for me they both keep their places with RG adding cutting edge.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Guinness&Nuts wrote:DickyP - Can you explain to me why Tait was so poor on Sunday?

From my observations Tait was sound under the high ball made his tackles (two of which were last man tackles on Taylor and their no 8).
I can accept thatTait has not reached the heights of last season with ball in hand, however Leicetser have not played that brand or rugby this season.

Scully gives 110% and is a great competitore in the air, but his defence lets him down at times (gave away two tries in two games in April) and he lacks real cutting edge in attack.
Morris and Tait work well in the back three and for me they both keep their places with RG adding cutting edge.
Agree on Tait, thought he played well. Who is RG?
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.