49-6 Respect is due

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 49-6 Respect is due

Post by The Boy Dave »

How un-rugby like from some not to give credit where it is due!
Very impressive from Sarries. After having so many players away on international duty during the 6N you would think their season should be falling apart at this stage if other coaches opinions are to be believed. Some young talent coming through as well, really talented players who earn their place on merit and strengthen their side and not just there because their Dad got them a place. I like the young hooker George also, big strong lad who helped Stevens out of a pickle a couple of times. Clermont were well beaten and could not cope with the pressure, nothing new there, Fofana is class though!
Cheery chappy
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Yes, fair play to Saracens.
However I can't offer them any actual support due to their arrogance and ungracious attitude (this does not equate to 'true' professionalism).
Tigers were used to being top of the heap for many years, but, never during all that time, were we ever arrogant.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

fentiger wrote:Yes, fair play to Saracens.
However I can't offer them any actual support due to their arrogance and ungracious attitude (this does not equate to 'true' professionalism).
Tigers were used to being top of the heap for many years, but, never during all that time, were we ever arrogant.
Oh yes we :censored: well were!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

You can't argue with the score. In fact, although Owens' decision to sin-bin James & award a pen try was at least odd if not wrong, Clermont held their own after that and did not concede whilst James was off.
I thought the pass to Ashton that set up the Try of Farrell's Knee was deffo forward though.
But otherwise fabulous play with a clear aim to score points: if that won't bring in crowds nothing will.
Lets hope they get Toulon in the final then it'll be an English wallet with an accent versus a French wallet....and may the English wallet win!
Good luck to 'em I say.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

jgriffin wrote:Do you seriously think we would not have beaten Clermont at home and with a decent ref? Perspective. I would not have paid better than evens for Saffacens away to Clermont with Rolland in charge.
I think sarries have had the rub of the green on a lot of occasions this season, beating Clermont like they did is no mean feat and if the tigers had best ulster we would have played Saracens at home and I think we would have turned them over with a fit team, if ulster hadnt lost a player early doors then they would have won, sarries have had lots of decisons dropping in there favour today and on a number of occasions this season, it's basically sarries time and teams like the tigers need to respond and I think we will!!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Sarries were top drawer, Ashton came alive, Burger was absolutely on fire, the luck of the Irish stayed with Sarries all match, and the only g*y in the valleys had a mare.... Plus Clermont actually gave up, and I personally feel this is the end for them, mentally they will be shot for seasons, and I'll wager they will plummet down the Top 14 and do a Biarritz. Eventually .

That said and done, Sarries will probably reflect on May 31 that was their best performance of the season when they end up with bu**er all.......................
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

baz1664 wrote:
jgriffin wrote:Do you seriously think we would not have beaten Clermont at home and with a decent ref? Perspective. I would not have paid better than evens for Saffacens away to Clermont with Rolland in charge.
I think sarries have had the rub of the green on a lot of occasions this season, beating Clermont like they did is no mean feat and if the tigers had best ulster we would have played Saracens at home and I think we would have turned them over with a fit team, if ulster hadnt lost a player early doors then they would have won, sarries have had lots of decisons dropping in there favour today and on a number of occasions this season, it's basically sarries time and teams like the tigers need to respond and I think we will!!
Baz, i think Saracens have now scored something like 95 tries this season in the AP and HC. Likely they will go over 100 comfortably. Good teams like this make their own luck, because they are aggressive and attacking. They earn their decisions. Its the same reason that Liverpool have had a huge penalty haul this season.

As for Tigers. Well, we didn't beat Ulster at home. We chucked it away. Much as we chucked away the Clermont game in the first half. So lets not deal in hypotheticals.

Its appropriate to unequivocally congratulate Saracens, and for our club its time to rise to the challenge.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I totally agree with the comments which recognised that Sarries deserved their win. They were by far the better side and took advantage of any refs decisions which came their way - well done. It may help us to get to the final as they are bound to protect some of their 1st team both at WR and maybe just in the prem semi final. Probably not in the prem final but just maybe they may get caught out in the semi's but full credit to their performance today - it was excellent.
Hehehehehehehehe
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Even though we dont like them, you have to appreciate how good they were today! As i have said elsewhere we have a tough time on our hands due to our slip ups, we really do need to get something out of the Sale game! :smt045
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Sorry to upset the happy clappers on this thread but it seems to me that one's singing the praises of Sarries so quickly are the one's that usually are the first to criticise the Tigers, sometimes even when we win. I for one don't give a hoot about Sarries, all I care is about Tigers and if we can go an unbeaten run of 4 games we will be champions again.

As far as the HC cup goes well done to an English team beating the French.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:Sorry to upset the happy clappers on this thread but it seems to me that one's singing the praises of Sarries so quickly are the one's that usually are the first to criticise the Tigers, sometimes even when we win. I for one don't give a hoot about Sarries, all I care is about Tigers and if we can go an unbeaten run of 4 games we will be champions again.

+1
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Yes Saracens played well today - but the ref got them on their way to the result.

Sometimes it really is your year in this competition - Saffas had both of the two weakest teams in the HC in their pool, enabling them to lose twice to Toulouse and still qualify. The red card in the QF so early in the game again gave them a massive advantage and a home country semi final - which is in itself a huge advantage against a French team....

Yes they had to make the most of these lucky breaks, but c'mon ..... :smt016
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:Sorry to upset the happy clappers on this thread but it seems to me that one's singing the praises of Sarries so quickly are the one's that usually are the first to criticise the Tigers, sometimes even when we win. I for one don't give a hoot about Sarries, all I care is about Tigers and if we can go an unbeaten run of 4 games we will be champions again.

Another ostrich with its insular head stuck in the sand! It was an energetic and committed team performance. They took the rub of the green and never let go. Defence was aggressive and sound and they didn't take the foot off the gas. If Tigers played like that more often they would be top........You may not like Sarries and have eyes only for the Tigers......but they are top and we are not. That's not criticism that's observation of fact.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

I was surprised at C.A's lack of composure. After managing the sin bin period well, they seemed incapable of taking stock and pinning Saracens back. They tried to barge their way through, which was futile and not kick for terrority. I know they feared their counter attack but good kicking could have helped them.

I think the sin binning itself was questionable and despite repeated scrimmaging offences by Johnson, no action was taken.

However, Saracens made more than the most of what they were offered and that was there strength.

How do you stop them? Control! They are often so eager to get to the ball that they infringe at the breakdown and their scrum is beatable - Both Johnson and Stevens (who has suffered carrying all that extra weight) cannot scrimmage well.

They are an exceptional team who will take a marathon if given an inch and Owen gave them a foot yesterday. Well done to them.

On the issue of them giving free tickets away I say it makes sense they are trying to build up a fan base. They have the resources to do this and it is a long term strategy. Don't criticise their arrogance, stand up to it and it will be defeated, mock it and it will grow stronger.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I think the sin binning itself was questionable
Really? Maybe the penalty try should have been a pen, but it was a nailed on yellow for me…