Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Ulster - Teams up!!

Post by Darc Tiger »

I think you angered one Smudge. :smt002

There are problems with the system. They need addressing.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

jacothelad wrote:
Even our senior players are paid relatively modestly. Only those centrally contracted players such as Tommy Bowe and Rory Best would be on serious dosh. The IRFU give Ulster 100,000 each towards Pienaar's, Afoa's and Muller's salaries. Ulster have to find the rest.
Why would the IRFU subsidise Ulster to employ 2 South Africans and a Kiwi? :smt017
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Jacothelad, you are spot on!
Darc Tiger, the fools who run the systems are the problem!
Cheery chappy
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

The fact remains, Robo teams and the Irish provinces have a clear advantage
in that they don't have to qualify for the competition and can therefor rest
players. What with that ansd the money distribution, why do the English clubs
want out of it?
Incidentally,I am well aware of the number of players and clubs in the republic as well as
in the six counties. The fact remains, Ulster is not a club. Dungannon are!
A life long Tiger
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Smudge wrote:The fact remains, Robo teams and the Irish provinces have a clear advantage
in that they don't have to qualify for the competition and can therefor rest
players. What with that ansd the money distribution, why do the English clubs
want out of it?
Incidentally,I am well aware of the number of players and clubs in the republic as well as
in the six counties. The fact remains, Ulster is not a club. Dungannon are!

It would appear that only the Irish are able to exploit this advantage.

Which perhaps goes some way to explain the problems in Wales.

Nonetheless.Rugby is the loser, on all counts.
Still keeping the faith!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Ulster not being a club is mere semantics. As has been pointed out, we can draw on a huge hinterland of feeder clubs and players. We are not a club in the traditional sense. We don't have a M&J section, you can't just turn up and get a game for the 3rds etc.

I am a bit bemused by the accusations of unfairness levelled at the Irish system. The French, with their seemingly unlimited money, is a much better target. And they are clubs............
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Hinckley Bob wrote: Why would the IRFU subsidise Ulster to employ 2 South Africans and a Kiwi? :smt017

Because they win Ulster important games as we have seen and allow Ulster & Ireland HC bragging rights, fully exploited.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I have to agree with Jacothelad - I really do not think you can put Ulsters performance down to more money or province or any of that. There are some issues(do do with the HC make up) surrounding resting of players in the Rabo as qualification/relegation do not apply but that is a separate issue.

Ulster played a very sensible tight game plan and a simple effective way of beating Tigers - Match Tigers upfront and rush defence - That is pretty much how anyone who does beat us manages it.

I think we where possibly one or two games back with some key players away from beating them.

Allen back makes a big difference but with an only half fit flood and Smith always tricky - Losing Benjamin before kick off was crucial as was the loss of Tait,Crane and Kitchener during the game. (It goes without saying, that the return of Munu makes us a different proposition altogether.)

We desparately need Loggo back fit (not Castro!!)and I would start Loggo at tighthead - not only would he match Ayerzas power (which Cole doesn't)to get a more balanced drive in the scrum - but he gives us a much needed extra ball carrier.

The other man who I would start with is(said it often enough) is Mele. Our tempo is different when he plays and his pass is much more accurate, which might allow Flood to play more.

I think if we can get through the 6 nations (and saxons) period we will get a lot better both in the league and the QF of the HC - We may yet suprise a few
Mean while surely all that is to be done is to congratulate Ulster on a very fine win on the road - they deserved it on the night..... next time it may be a different story
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

mightymouse wrote:I have to agree with Jacothelad - I really do not think you can put Ulsters performance down to more money or province or any of that. There are some issues(do do with the HC make up) surrounding resting of players in the Rabo as qualification/relegation do not apply but that is a separate issue.

Ulster played a very sensible tight game plan and a simple effective way of beating Tigers - Match Tigers upfront and rush defence - That is pretty much how anyone who does beat us manages it.

I think we where possibly one or two games back with some key players away from beating them.

Allen back makes a big difference but with an only half fit flood and Smith always tricky - Losing Benjamin before kick off was crucial as was the loss of Tait,Crane and Kitchener during the game. (It goes without saying, that the return of Munu makes us a different proposition altogether.)

We desparately need Loggo back fit (not Castro!!)and I would start Loggo at tighthead - not only would he match Ayerzas power (which Cole doesn't)to get a more balanced drive in the scrum - but he gives us a much needed extra ball carrier.

The other man who I would start with is(said it often enough) is Mele. Our tempo is different when he plays and his pass is much more accurate, which might allow Flood to play more.

I think if we can get through the 6 nations (and saxons) period we will get a lot better both in the league and the QF of the HC - We may yet suprise a few
Mean while surely all that is to be done is to congratulate Ulster on a very fine win on the road - they deserved it on the night..... next time it may be a different story
Benjamin was not in the matchday squad because of a knee injury.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Northern Tiger wrote:-
I am a bit bemused by the accusations of unfairness levelled at the Irish system. The French, with their seemingly unlimited money, is a much better target. And they are clubs............
Then, with respect, you don't understand what is happening in Ireland.
The revenues from Irish international games is pretty much divided amongst the
four provinces.
Most of the players are centrally contracted to the IRU and paid very handsomely
on top of which their every expense is met. In the republic they also have an
attractive tax arrangement.
When the decision of the Prem clubs was made to quit the competition several journos
attempted to get the facts on Irish Union funding for the provinces and came up against
a brick wall. I wonder why?

You are right about the French clubs seemingly unlimited money but they are
supposed to have a cap now albeit much higher than ours.
Yes, they are also a problem and until it is sorted we won't have a level playing field.

Incidentally, the cap in England was brought in so that no club could spend millions
buying all the best players and therefor the title. This in my opinion was the right basis
for a level playingfield for our home game. Why not have it across the NH?
The danger lies in wealthy Arabs or Russians (Or South Africans) coming in and spending
two hundred million quid on a club and ruining the sport, as per wendyball.
A life long Tiger
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

TomWeston wrote:
Darc Tiger wrote:I think you angered one Smudge... :smt002
And the text and its style are (very) similar to that of another post and poster here from Norn Iron, a poster who has had a few abusive posts censored, correctly so.

I wonder if our excellent mods check for or allow multiple identities?

so far as we are able, and if we suspect someone might be doing this to cause trouble, then yes we can do. If there's a different email address and IP address it does make it harder ( I myself post under another identity on here as well.)
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rizzo wrote: I myself post under another identity on here as well.)
Interesting :smt004
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

mightymouse wrote:

So you would drop one of the top 2 tight heads in the british isles? Cole gets through a lot of work and has done nothing to suggest he should be dropped. His work at the breakdown alone puts him above any other props we have at our disposal imo.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Cole and Marcos have been fine. Particularly in the first 60 minutes, but they are fading towards the end of recent matches. We need Logo in order to maintain our advantage over most teams for 80 minutes. Stanko is capable, but we do lose quite a bit with Marcos off, and Balmain is still very young for a prop.
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

Smudge wrote:Northern Tiger wrote:-
Then, with respect, you don't understand what is happening in Ireland.
The revenues from Irish international games is pretty much divided amongst the
four provinces.
Most of the players are centrally contracted to the IRU and paid very handsomely
on top of which their every expense is met. In the republic they also have an
attractive tax arrangement.
When the decision of the Prem clubs was made to quit the competition several journos
attempted to get the facts on Irish Union funding for the provinces and came up against
a brick wall. I wonder why?

You are right about the French clubs seemingly unlimited money but they are
supposed to have a cap now albeit much higher than ours.
Yes, they are also a problem and until it is sorted we won't have a level playing field.

Incidentally, the cap in England was brought in so that no club could spend millions
buying all the best players and therefor the title. This in my opinion was the right basis
for a level playingfield for our home game. Why not have it across the NH?
The danger lies in wealthy Arabs or Russians (Or South Africans) coming in and spending
two hundred million quid on a club and ruining the sport, as per wendyball.
Smudge...... Not sure the IRFU divide all their revenue amongst the clubs (provinces) and I think central contracts are limited in number and likely to be reduced in future. Yes the Irish players south of the border do attract tax incentives which actually somewhat disadvantages their northern team mates.

Agree that some Russian billionaire could really shake things up in Europe and make even Toulan look poor.....obviously the Premiership pays better as both Court and Afoa are off to earn more next year.