Heineken Cup no nearer a resolution (2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Heineken Cup no nearer a resolution (2)

Post by BJ. »

wardy wrote:YBH and others - you ought to be ashamed of yourselves although I very much doubt you will. !!!! :smt018
Sit back Wardy and prepare to be accused of using offensive remarks. :smt002
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:I do not agree with the moderators locking the original thread, it was still on topic and relevant.

The moderators on here are worse than the current crop of referees.
And comments like these are relevant to the topic?! :smt017

You instantly dragged the thread off topic. YBH you know who to complain to if you are not happy with the Moderators on this forum so why not do it and stop making your continuous swipes,it is getting very boring :smt015 :smt015
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

kpb wrote:You instantly dragged the thread off topic. YBH you know who to complain to if you are not happy with the Moderators on this forum so why not do it and stop making your continuous swipes,it is getting very boring :smt015 :smt015
May I refer you to my previous comment? :smt002
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Please can we get this thread back on topic and move away from discussing the moderation of the forum. The rules are there and if you feel aggrieved you can take it up with the club.

Thanks

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Roger roger.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I heard a rumour that some rugby is being played for cup sponsered by Heineken this weekend, though there's little debate about the actual games going on anywhere that I can find...............................
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

A nice wee domestic argument with no Celts involved :smt023

Anyway, I'm going to stick to my line of blaming everything on the Welsh. It's not let me down for a good fifteen or twenty years. The flirtation with the Welsh by the PRL is a bit of muck stirring, intended to put the wind up the Irish - there's no genuine intent to expand the AP and drop four Welsh teams straight in there, the RFU would have a riot on their hands given the number of times the Championship clubs have broached the subject of expansion and been met with blank looks all round from the PRL. However, the Welsh teams are just dumb enough to believe the PRL are serious.
snipewatson

Post by snipewatson »

Celt Alert!!!!! :smt023

Today's statement from the IRB -

The International Rugby Board strongly believes that the establishment of a truly representative pan-European Rugby competition that fully complies with IRB Regulations and Bye-Laws is in the best interests of the global Game.

The IRB acknowledges and supports the commitment of the Six Nations Member Unions in their ongoing attempts to reach an accord for a genuine European competition that has Europe’s top players and fans at heart.

However, despite progress on key terms for the future of European competition, the apparent lack of a common solution across the Six Nations Unions and their respective clubs, regions and provinces is of concern to the IRB.

IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: "In order to reach an outcome that is in the best interests of Rugby globally, the IRB will work actively with its Unions towards the goal of achieving a unified and acceptable outcome for all stakeholders involved."

"In the interests of the global Game, the IRB reaffirms that it will not support any cross border competitions that are not approved by the Unions of any participating clubs, Rugby bodies and host countries in full accordance with IRB Regulations and Bye-Laws."
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

No movement or encouragement there, then!
Valhalla I am coming!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

snipewatson wrote:Celt Alert!!!!! :smt023

The International Rugby Board strongly believes that the establishment of a truly representative pan-European Rugby competition that fully complies with IRB Regulations and Bye-Laws is in the best interests of the global Game.

The IRB acknowledges and supports the commitment of the Six Nations Member Unions in their ongoing attempts to reach an accord for a genuine European competition that has Europe’s top players and fans at heart.

However, despite progress on key terms for the future of European competition, the apparent lack of a common solution across the Six Nations Unions and their respective clubs, regions and provinces is of concern to the IRB.

IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: "In order to reach an outcome that is in the best interests of Rugby globally, the IRB will work actively with its Unions towards the goal of achieving a unified and acceptable outcome for all stakeholders involved."

"In the interests of the global Game, the IRB reaffirms that it will not support any cross border competitions that are not approved by the Unions of any participating clubs, Rugby bodies and host countries in full accordance with IRB Regulations and Bye-Laws."
To paraphrase = "We've no ideas and daren't say anything but we'll stop you doing anything if we don't like it (and it's not in the interests of the SH big 3".
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
snipewatson

Post by snipewatson »

DickyP wrote:

To paraphrase = "We've no ideas and daren't say anything but we'll stop you doing anything if we don't like it (and it's not in the interests of the SH big 3".
I’m assuming that you probably want a particular outcome from this shambles which involves the PRL getting their way, so dissing the IRB is very much in your wheelhouse.
Unsurprisingly, I read it very differently Dicky. More of a get your act together, the Anglo Welsh league is a non-starter. Now sort this mess out before the professional game in the northern hemisphere is ruined.
I have no idea what this has got to do with the SH big 3. :smt017
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Prawn sandwich lot one in Dublin's fair city do not want to upset the fish cart for Prawn sandwich lot 2 in the Irish low tax capital.

Is this a banking version of rugby football?
snipewatson

Post by snipewatson »

Plenty of good sense being talked here:
The open letter to Welsh Rugby by David Moffett...
Enough is Enough
I have read with utter disbelief the latest saga in the wars of Welsh Rugby.
The fact that most of the rugby world is shaking its head at the shenanigans of both the WRU and the regions should be a matter of national shame.
Both sides claim to be working in the best interests of the game in Wales.
Well, with the greatest of respect that is a load of rubbish. If any decent business were run in this manner, there would be wholesale changes forced on them by their shareholders.
Both sides seem to forget that the owners of the WRU are the clubs – the shareholders. Not the board, executive or the regions, but the clubs who are always the last to find out what is happening and more often than not feel the brunt of poor decision making.
I have read the letter to the clubs by the WRU and found it disrespectful. I say that because it is a one-way communication to the owners of the WRU expressing only one viewpoint. There was never any attempt to provide a balanced view.
Unfortunately, it forced a tit-for-tat response from the regions which was also unseemly. The fact that this is being played out in the media is a matter of grave concern for many of the member clubs.
I think the only way that we will get to the bottom of this regrettable episode in Welsh rugby is for the clubs to call an EGM.
The reason for calling an EGM is so the clubs can ask the WRU and regions a series of questions aimed at getting at the truth.
Claim and counter claim in the media does nothing for the trust that the clubs have placed in the board and executive.
I have to believe this will be a lot cheaper than wasting money on lawyers. Money that could go to the grass roots of the game.
Those who remember my time in Welsh rugby will know that after we fixed the professional game, I advocated real investment in the most important level of the game - community rugby.
With the greatest of respect to the 70s era, Welsh rugby has enjoyed its most successful results in its history over the past 10 years, which has happened to coincide with the era of regional rugby.
This success has led to Wales being rightly considered as semi-finalists in the 2015 RWC. With less than two years to kick-off, the current shambles is doing nothing for our preparation. That this may all change because of intractability on both sides is quite astonishing.
Anyone who has followed my career, whether you like me or not, knows I am a doer not a talker. I have asked myself ‘how can I assist the WRU at this critical time?’
After careful consideration, I have decided to return to Wales to live.
This has been an easier decision than I thought. I will be seeking a position on the board of the Welsh Rugby Union and if I am elected will stand for the position of chairman.
I am doing this because of my concerns for the future of Welsh rugby and I believe that my management and leadership style will offer a new way forward. A way that is built on mutual respect and trust with a promise to recognise; firstly the importance of the clubs and secondly the regions to the future of Welsh rugby.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

snipewatson wrote:
DickyP wrote:

I’m assuming that you probably want a particular outcome from this shambles which involves the PRL getting their way, so dissing the IRB is very much in your wheelhouse.
Unsurprisingly, I read it very differently Dicky. More of a get your act together, the Anglo Welsh league is a non-starter. Now sort this mess out before the professional game in the northern hemisphere is ruined.
I have no idea what this has got to do with the SH big 3. :smt017
If you don't understand then you didn't read the statement - the IRB are adamant the status quo favouring the present set-up must be maintained at all costs, and blow what is best for the world game. I am a great Francophobe but even their agenda of wanting to boost FIRA to enhance the French influence is better than the way the 3 SH countries will do anything, however underhand, to maintain their dominance.

Oh and I forgot - whatever solution is agreed mustn't impact Ireland's privileged position and special treatment in the ERC and IRB.

From an absolutely personal point of view and wanting the best for Wales in the long term, and nothing really to do with the current conflicts and crisis, I do favour an Anglo-Welsh league but only in the way that Wendyball realises that sporting distinctions between Wales and England are at best artificial and in the professional era non-viable. As you say the current proposals are pretty much a non-starter, unless the full proper future pathway is worked out: this would require a complete restructuring of all the leagues below the premiership into a homogeneous structure and a fixed agreement on promotion/relegation/allowed levels of professionalism etc etc being worked out. It would also require acceptance that the top level might include all or no Welsh teams, and that the Welsh national team might be drawn from anywhere in the 'national' league. Since nobody is willing to address such fundamentals the currently proposed plan is, as you say, a non-starter.
Last edited by DickyP on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

Sounds like a bit of an empty statement, beyond prodding the unions to hurry up and sort something out so the IRB can rubber stamp it - what ever it is.

I don't see how it rules any of the options out.