Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Post by kornboy130 »

De Marchi now linked with Sale after his Toulon move has fallen through.

Hope we're paying attention...
Last edited by kornboy130 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Maybe why Schuster is at Wuss?
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

RagingBull wrote:Maybe why Schuster is at Wuss?
In theory you may have something there, but in truth, he's another LH, we have Ayerza, Logo, Boris and Bristow all covering there. At TH we only have Logo and Balmain. I think letting Schuster go on loan was a little risky given out lack of depth at TH.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

We have Paquali coming through. He did alright vs Bath in the LV and is a big bloke. He can be third choice until Cole returns then go back to fourth choice. I think Di Marchi is more aimed at next season when Stankovitch is off and Ayerza will miss the first third of the season.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Crowson tweeting that 4 players will be arriving next season.
@martin_crowson: In tomorrow's Mercury, news of four new signings who look to be on their way to @LeicesterTigers next season.

Burns is surely already a done deal so who are the others. Hopefully De Marchi, Fonua and Loamanu. Although I wouldn't pass up on Dan Carter :smt023
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

Kieran Read and Du Plessis are more than likely the other 2 :smt002
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

kornboy130 wrote:De Marchi now linked with Sale after his Toulon move has fallen through.

Hope we're paying attention...
By the way, Kornboy if you've edited that comment to say De Marchi then it's much appreciated, was bugging me.

I agree with Sam8745745858659409658645987648u9567958, Pasquali looks a good prospect, quite happy to have seen the back of Schuster, at least temporarily, especially given that he's seemingly behind Pasquali, if the selection's anything to go by.
TigerLad wrote:Crowson tweeting that 4 players will be arriving next season. @martin_crowson: In tomorrow's Mercury, news of four new signings who look to be on their way to @LeicesterTigers next season.

Burns is surely already a done deal so who are the others. Hopefully De Marchi, Fonua and Loamanu. Although I wouldn't pass up on Dan Carter :smt023
Exciting! :smt026 Also says "They are all internationals and are all seriously big units! Mercury on sale from 6am." De Marchi, Founa and Loamanu could fit, who could be the 4th?! Rizzo maybe?
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

De Marchi, Loamanu, Bai could all be likely, big units, internationals, previously linked. Fourth one? Fonua has been mentioned, but contractual difficulties?

Interesting to see where we're looking to strengthen next year.

Prop - we need to replace Boris and potentially Schuster if he does go as rumoured.
Hooker - depends on the future of Hawkins/Briggs.
Lock - think we're good to go as we are.
Flanker - keep Matera, beyond that, good.
No8 - will Pearce be Waldroms replacement, or is he a project, and we'll go after someone else?
Scrum half - fine as we are.
Fly half - need a 3rd choice with Lamb gone, Bai is the name in the frame.
Centre - if fit, we're good with what we have, may need a player to cover Tuilagi with Goneva off.
Wing - replacement for Goneva and Hamilton, ideally able to cover, so Loamanu ticks the boxes.
Fullback - fine as we are.

Promote Thacker, Pasqualli, Price/Cain, Wells, Pohe and Purdy into the mix.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote:De Marchi, Loamanu, Bai could all be likely, big units, internationals, previously linked. Fourth one? Fonua has been mentioned, but contractual difficulties?

Interesting to see where we're looking to strengthen next year.

Prop - we need to replace Boris and potentially Schuster if he does go as rumoured.
Hooker - depends on the future of Hawkins/Briggs.
Lock - think we're good to go as we are.
Flanker - keep Matera, beyond that, good.
No8 - will Pearce be Waldroms replacement, or is he a project, and we'll go after someone else?
Scrum half - fine as we are.
Fly half - need a 3rd choice with Lamb gone, Bai is the name in the frame.
Centre - if fit, we're good with what we have, may need a player to cover Tuilagi with Goneva off.
Wing - replacement for Goneva and Hamilton, ideally able to cover, so Loamanu ticks the boxes.
Fullback - fine as we are.

Promote Thacker, Pasqualli, Price/Cain, Wells, Pohe and Purdy into the mix.
The squad does look very good for next season and like I said this year if we can stay fit then the league is ours to lose. Unfortunately this hasn't happened this year. Hopefully Scully stays as he is the perfect squad player, he might not win any headlines but the work he puts in is superb. How many times have we seen him shackle a supposedly superior player. Incredible how much he's progressed since that Quaterback style throw in the sevens. It's imperative that we keep him, a real embodiment of what it means to be a Tiger.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Looks like we have been shopping in Treviso - http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Tiger ... story.html
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ghiraldini would be a tidy signing. Having two hookers of that calibre would be impressive, however, during international windows, we'd lose both, is that a bit of a gamble? Sad if we do let Hawkins go, as injury record aside, I really rate the guy. Solid and reliable in the set piece, with some real aggression and graft in the loose. I rate him higher than Briggs based largely on his line out accuracy, and the fact you don't lose anything in mobility in open play.
Rizzo, well personally I rate De Marchi a bit higher. Younger and a bit more dynamic.
Barbieri, not convinced he's needed given the depth at back row we currently have. Would rather we kept Matera if possible.
Loamanu, as replacement for Goneva, fair enough, pace, power, versatile. Also not going to be lost during international weeks.
Not sure I buy that story anyhow. Given there was another story a week or two back, instead suggesting De Marchi, Loamanu and Campagnaro were the players we were targeting. Seems a bit of two plus two equals.....
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

FRUM - I agree with your summary. Like the look of Ghiraldini - a quality signing. However, but if this is true, It is a real shame for the Hawk, as when he plays he always gives 100%. Just seems to be very unlucky picking up injuries.I too rate him higher than Briggs, but maybe he's just not prepared to play third/fourth fiddle (Thacker third choice?).
Also, agree with your thoughts on Barbereri - have always liked him, and would be a great addition, but confused as to where he would fit in unless someone (Matera?) is moving on.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Strange that no one has commented or remarked upon the age profile of these potential new signings? Perhaps it is not important :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

sapajo wrote:Strange that no one has commented or remarked upon the age profile of these potential new signings? Perhaps it is not important :smt017
I noticed that as well - perhaps they are intended as signings who would hit the ground running while younger options develop?

Though I'm not sure just how useful it is to sign 3 players who might well be cover for first choices but will be away during the international windows
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

perhaps it is thought that you have a quality team with quality back ups for the last quarter of the season where it counts and you rely on the squad players including up and coming youngsters to keep you in the hunt up to that point. Hooker for example we would still have Briggs who is an adequate player with Thacker coming through.

Argentinians where at one time a good bet but now they play championship rugby at the begininning of the season, South sea islanders were good but they now play autumn internationals - it seems it makes no odds who you sign - you lose them because they have to be of international standards to be allowed the work visa.

The only other option breed you own and them England nick them for even longer - what are the alternatives - at team of inadequates?