Tigers vs Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Quins

Post by DaveRave »

Quins deserved the win. They put together phase after phase of gain line breaking rugby whilst we - as usual - generally ran into brick walls. They also showed how to play against 14 men - 17-0, whilst we usually get outscored with the advantage.
No creativity, no direction.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DaveRave wrote:Quins deserved the win. They put together phase after phase of gain line breaking rugby whilst we - as usual - generally ran into brick walls. They also showed how to play against 14 men - 17-0, whilst we usually get outscored with the advantage.
No creativity, no direction.
Cockers got some work to do!!

:smt027
Still keeping the faith!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Some harsh stuff on here again.
From Champions to rubbish in a few months, I don't think so!
It has been a terrible run of injuries for us really with very bad timing, it couldn't have come at a worse time for Allen and Goneva and even though Smith and others are returning they will not be match sharp. Still a strong pack was out there and some need to show more. Reputations count for nothing in these situations. Quins clearing out was superb at times, no old fashioned guards, no flopping for the sake of it just to look like you are working hard but just maximum effort to attack the ruck and put our defence on the back foot, create space, carry and offload. We were indecisive at times with some basic drifting errors in attack and no reactions to offer an alternative outlet when we had Quins on the ropes. That was something Goneva was bringing until he was injured.
The players out there are capable I am sure but some seem to be worried about the next mistake, pressure.
They just need to work their socks off, get on with playing some rugby and get the win.
A little luck like England had earlier would be good!
Cheery chappy
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

To me we played 'not to lose' rather than play to win and it showed. So often when we are up against it we decide to play for the last five me inured or so - if only we could play the other 75 the same way. For some reason I don't think we are in for a successful season although I would be delighted to be proved wrong.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

There appears to be a lack of intensity and endeavour in the Tigers team and this has been evident in several games recently. They don't seem to up their game until it dawns on them they heading for defeat, it's an 80 minute game guys.

I was also amazed at the lack of urgency in the last 20 when we had penalties, far too slow to kick and form the line out, get on with it!

Outstanding player for me was Kitch, he should form the 2nd row with Slater and we need a proper captain in there. Also need Mafi at 6.

As for the backs, the extra week together made no difference and if Tait is fit slot him in at 13 asap until Manu is back.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

G.K wrote:There appears to be a lack of intensity and endeavour in the Tigers team and this has been evident in several games recently. They don't seem to up their game until it dawns on them they heading for defeat, it's an 80 minute game guys.

I was also amazed at the lack of urgency in the last 20 when we had penalties, far too slow to kick and form the line out, get on with it!

Outstanding player for me was Kitch, he should form the 2nd row with Slater and we need a proper captain in there. Also need Mafi at 6.

As for the backs, the extra week together made no difference and if Tait is fit slot him in at 13 asap until Manu is back.
+1 and I was there, hearing some fairly critical barracking from the Crumbie.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Matt Tait is not a centre, we all remember he had a torrid time there, he's a great full back in the making, why would you play him out of position? Matt Smith is a better bet at centre, at least nothing will get past him. With the league pressure off I'm expecting players to relax a little and show what they can really do. Remember this season is a very long one and it's about how you finish that matters. Keep the faith as some would say...............
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Wrong - Tait was originally a centre, he played there in the RWC 2007 and it was his break that led to the 'try' that should have won England the game, if that is not a decent enough standard to play centre then I don't know what is. It's mainly Tigers that have utilised him at full back where we have better options at the moment.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

G.K wrote:Wrong - Tait was originally a centre, he played there in the RWC 2007 and it was his break that led to the 'try' that should have won England the game, if that is not a decent enough standard to play centre then I don't know what is. It's mainly Tigers that have utilised him at full back where we have better options at the moment.
Matt Tait was nearly destroyed as a rugby player at centre, the orange one in particular picked him up and shook like terrier with a rat. Matt came to us and we were able to see where his talents are best suited, he is far and away a better fullback than a centre, his past has showed us that, Tigers have been very astute with their placement of him. Had he not been injured, he might well have been in the England squad again with a 15 on his back.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

In essence I am with Tb on this one - last season proved to me Tait is the best fullback at the club. He has pedigree as a centre but when fit I'd start him at 15 unless all our centres are crocked. Problem is if you start MT at centre it increases his chances of getting injured.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

G.K wrote:There appears to be a lack of intensity and endeavour in the Tigers team and this has been evident in several games recently. They don't seem to up their game until it dawns on them they heading for defeat, it's an 80 minute game guys.

I agree with all of that.

There are no excuses for that performance. We had a very experienced pack and only two relative rookies in the back line (Williams and Hepetema), also a strong bench and we were at HOME!!

Right from KO Quins seemed to want it more, they were more focused and accurate in everything they did bar the scrum. However even in the scrum they usually managed to hook effectively to provide some decent quick ball.

Yes we rallied in the 2nd half but in all honesty we never really looked to have the class or creativity to score from open play.

Kitch, Slater, Logo all played well, Mele and Bowden ok, but in general the backs looked much slower in thought and deed than Quins.

Interesting that our two worst performances of the season have come with Cockers back at the helm...probably not significant but a fact nevertheless!

We need to use the LV's to play our way back into form, I can't see too many players being rested!!
Soggypitch
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Having suffered watching the game from the Crumbie I believe the fastest thing on the pitch from Tigers would have been the Rockets & fireworks but even they did not turn up - the same as the Tigers.
Very poorly led , brave but necessary substitutions but I cannot remember the hundreds leaving the ground before with ten minutes still to go.
Thank goodness Worcester are just worse than ourselves and provide the cushion.
Three games lost with the "A" team loosing to Sale, it will be another defeat against Ospreys - cannot see many there for the entertainment.
Was the Saturday performance a rehearsal for " TRY COMEDY" on the 19th?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

tigerburnie wrote:
G.K wrote:Wrong - Tait was originally a centre, he played there in the RWC 2007 and it was his break that led to the 'try' that should have won England the game, if that is not a decent enough standard to play centre then I don't know what is. It's mainly Tigers that have utilised him at full back where we have better options at the moment.
Matt Tait was nearly destroyed as a rugby player at centre, the orange one in particular picked him up and shook like terrier with a rat. Matt came to us and we were able to see where his talents are best suited, he is far and away a better fullback than a centre, his past has showed us that, Tigers have been very astute with their placement of him. Had he not been injured, he might well have been in the England squad again with a 15 on his back.
What a daft comment - Matt was so 'nearly destroyed' by that one tackle by Henson on his FIRST game for England that he went on to get 38 caps and start at OC in a world cup final! :smt005
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

By and large I'm with JG. That said we were all impressed at the start of the season by the backs new found adventure making us one of the top try scorers. Thank goodness MOC has gone we thought. Today we saw a team bereft of attacking thought and a return to the old bosh bosh tactics. Tactics that Quins used to great advantage.

We looked, at best, average for most of the game. Once again we saw injuries taking players off the pitch but why oh why did it take so long to change the line-up and set up a change in direction? Mafi came on replacing Deacon and moved Slater into the locks and the game started to change. And then Scully came on all full of energy and effort - with 41/2 minutes to go for pete's sake. It was great to Ayerza back and the pack getting the better of the Quins' pack but he was obviously out of condition and totally cream crackered when he came off.

I thought the backs were panicky and tried to rush ideas rather than build constructively. Good to see Smithy carrying the ball to the wing with half the defence with him again. Why can't he straighten the line and then pass it to a winger in space?

The main problem was lack of fire from many and a reluctance/delay in making changes in an effort to get things going. And I'm sorry but Deacon looked like a dinosaur looking for a tar pit. You would never have figured he was the captain by watching the game.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

I would love to see Tait have a blow at 13. The lad can beat a man, something nobody else seems to be able to do at present bar maybe Bowden. With the muddy and wet pitches coming up I would consider him wasted at full back where he will just be catching bombs. Let the Irish lad do that and bring Tait into the game. He can play full back again when Manu returns.