Well done to Waldrom

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

blocky_head7
Tiger Cub

Well done to Waldrom

Post by blocky_head7 »

A little disgruntled tonight, not only by the performance, but as Jordan Crane came on for Thomas Waldrom I watched quite carefully.

Crane ran pretty much past Waldrom but there was no well done or tap on the back like usual, then as Waldrom got to the bench not one tigers player or coach congratulated him, patted him on the back or anything. The only communication was from a physio guy who chucked him a coat. Every other player, well the one other sub we made, was congratulated and hugged by many people at the dug out.

Am I reading into this too much or has there been a fall out amongst the ranks? Especially as Waldrom was our Man of the Match which was announced after the game...surely the players and staff should be saying well done to him?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Well done to Waldrom

Post by WhitecapTiger »

blocky_head7 wrote:A little disgruntled tonight, not only by the performance, but as Jordan Crane came on for Thomas Waldrom I watched quite carefully.

Crane ran pretty much past Waldrom but there was no well done or tap on the back like usual, then as Waldrom got to the bench not one tigers player or coach congratulated him, patted him on the back or anything. The only communication was from a physio guy who chucked him a coat. Every other player, well the one other sub we made, was congratulated and hugged by many people at the dug out.

Am I reading into this too much or has there been a fall out amongst the ranks? Especially as Waldrom was our Man of the Match which was announced after the game...surely the players and staff should be saying well done to him?
If you're reading too much into it then so am I, a group of us on the Crumbie commented that there was no interaction between Waldrom and Crane as they swapped, they weren't even close together as they changed, not unheard of but a bit unusual IMO.

Didn't see the lack of appreciation in/around the bench as I was at the back of the terrace and watching the action, so to speak.

Certainly sounds like a rift of some sort though, has Waldrom voiced his frustration at not playing and it's not been appreciated? Didn't his brother 'tweet' that Thomas was unhappy with lack of game time? which wouldn't go down well with Cockers, et al.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fremen
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by fremen »

thought Waldrom had an excellent game
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

fremen wrote:thought Waldrom had an excellent game
agreed - burned himself out

on current form the better player, much like Crane at the end of last season
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

He seemed fine in the interview on RL after the match, TTTE comes across as a player that doesn't appreciate the "star" status that others revel in! He seems very down to earth & a nice guy I hope he stays with us next season! :smt023
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I can't see him staying after this season.
Crane is obviously busy washing Cockers' car, because on last night's showing there was a gulf in class between the two. TTTE gave a huge amount of go to the attack, and if Manu had been in the 13 berth, I suspect there would have been a much bigger first half lead, since the half-gaps were there but Hepetema is too young/new to go for it. Those half-gaps were often created by Waldrom's surges, but also defence covering him. Waldrom was my MOTM by half-time!
Crane came on and frankly did nowt but win penalties as 8 to a dominant scrum. He almost butchered the pass to Scully for his try. I think he is currently lacking in form, he is capable of much better, having gone off the boil much as TTTE did for a while last season. Some of this may be due to emphasis in training - maybe too much barbell and not enough acceleration training, or TTTE' secret diet of Costa and Creamcakes is the new power diet :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Nice to see Waldrom getting some game time and showing some form. I think he must have been carrying a knock as he didn't look hiself early doors. We certainly needed his attacking bursts.

Disagree that Crane did "nowt" I thought he linked well and the delay on the pass to Scully made the try. Previously the competition for the 8 shirt has forced both to up their game and I hope that comes to pass again.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Agree with the fact TTTE had an excellent game, although can't agree that there was much wrong with Jordan Crane's game when he came on. Did what was required of him well: what he always does.

The back row player I thought was the real star, however, was Ed Slater: he was everywhere in attack and defence and passing as though he was trying to show the somewhat inept backs what to do. His contribution the final try was superb and no centre could have done it better: ran straight, drew his man and delivered an inch perfect pass.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

DickyP wrote:Agree with the fact TTTE had an excellent game, although can't agree that there was much wrong with Jordan Crane's game when he came on. Did what was required of him well: what he always does.

The back row player I thought was the real star, however, was Ed Slater: he was everywhere in attack and defence and passing as though he was trying to show the somewhat inept backs what to do. His contribution the final try was superb and no centre could have done it better: ran straight, drew his man and delivered an inch perfect pass.

And that's a guy playing out of position putting in the hard graft. He would have done just at good at 9,10,12,& 13.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Frankers
Tiger Cub

Post by Frankers »

I really rate Thomas he's a great player when in form, i remember a few seasons ago and he was such a key player when we had many players either away or injured.

I reckon his form dipped when he was messed around by Lancaster, and also when dropped by RC in favour for Crane, who if you remember was also made Captain so was obviously in Cockerills pocket.

They are very different people in my opinion so probably don't see eye to eye, ones more into his hair and whats going on in Towie, the other speaks his mind and really cares about his Rugby
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well with Smithy injured someone has to wash Cocker's car so it must be Crane at the moment. :smt002
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Did his talking on the pitch. Crane's played well this season, but I think Waldrom really set him a marker with both his loose play and off the base of the scrum. :smt001

Just what the doctor ordered, to be fair.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Hot_Charlie wrote:Did his talking on the pitch. Crane's played well this season, but I think Waldrom really set him a marker with both his loose play and of the base of the scrum. :smt001

Just what the doctor ordered, to be fair.
Spot on! Good for the team too.

Ed Slater was always going to be a monster - remember he was a back row until Tigers converted him. Personally I have always advocated on this forum that he is a Parisse-style 8 and I believe performances have shown that. Potentially an England monster too.....if he played for Saffas he'd be in there now. :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I was in Edinburgh on Friday so missed the game but was absolutely thrilled to hear TTTE was named MOTM.

He is a star, rugby old school style but none the worse for that. When he's on form he leaves Crane in his wake. We will now learn if Cockers truly picks on form or bears ridiculous grudges of some description....when the team is announced for Wasps.

What's the betting??

Evens JR
3-1 TW

I reckon anyway!
Soggypitch