Parling is lightweight and ineffectual as a second row

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Parling is lightweight and ineffectual as a second row

Post by FlyingTiger »

Parling is lightweight and ineffectual as a second row, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a change there says Gwyn Jones Former Wales captain

Huh?
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Parling is lightweight and ineffectual as a second row

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

He's a 5, not a 4, the same as AWJ.

One combined with a big lump is fine, two combined do make for a lack of bulk in the scrum.

If Parling is dropped in favour of AWJ going to 5 and Gray coming in at 4 then the Lions need Croft at 6 for some decent lineout options
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

FlyingTiger wrote:Parling is lightweight and ineffectual as a second row, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a change there says Gwyn Jones Former Wales captain
Agree that Parling & AW Jones looked lightweight as a seci=ond row partnership, but not sure its quite as black & white against our Geoff.

I would understand it if the Lions make a change for the third test - and I am sure that both of the starting places will be debated....

Just like there is a discussion around how you get the physicality that Lydiate brought to the team, whilst acknowledging that the Lions could really use the pace & lineout skills that Croft brings to the team.

In fact, I would say that Sexton, North & Halfpenny are the only players who are nailed on to start the third test (although BOD - as likely skipper - is odds on to start, too)....
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:He's a 5, not a 4, the same as AWJ.

One combined with a big lump is fine, two combined do make for a lack of bulk in the scrum.

If Parling is dropped in favour of AWJ going to 5 and Gray coming in at 4 then the Lions need Croft at 6 for some decent lineout options
I think this would make a much stronger pack. It was obvious to anyone with half a rugby brain that Parling and AWJ wouldn't work as a combo. Sticking Gray in allows you to put Croft back in and those two provide more of a threat than the last test.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I suspect Parling is being made scapegoat for a very poor pack performance, looking at the stats only Vunipola carried the ball further than his Australian opposite number, and only he and Heaslip managed to just get into double figures.

In the first test the big carriers were Croft (27m), O'Connell (17m) and Corbisiero (23m) all missing in the second test.

In the first test the Lions conceded 3 turnovers in the second they conceded 15, 9 of which were conceded by backs. I suspect the lack of Croft's pace in the back-row was the cause of the Lions failing to maintain possession.

The Lions were under almost constant pressure because they never made a single line break, and they were never able to put the Australian defence on the back foot. When they didn't kick possession away they were turned over. If it was not for the tackling performance of Parling and Vunipola they would have been over run.
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

I agree that Parling is being scapegoated a little bit. The scrum struggled in the first half, but a number of ex-front-rowers are in agreement that the referee got it wrong and it was not Vunipola's fault. In the second half, especially after Cole and Hibbard were on, the scrum was fine and the Lions even got a couple of penalties from them. On top of that, there have been a few statistics showing that Parling was one of the top tacklers in that game. I like Gray, but I always think he only plays well when others around him are. If things are going a bit wrong, he tend to go missing. Hence his performances for Sale.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The Welsh are a;ll chipping in their six-penny-worth probably as deliberate briefing. Word is that Evans, Phillips, Roberts and Hibbard will be in. YBY may not make the bench, nor Manu.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Well Parling starts along with Corbs as the only other Enlglishmen. Croft does not make the bench but Manu does. TY on bench BY out of squad. Gatland Welsh bias shown with 10 Welshmen starting. BoD dropped.
Overall very disappointed with the team selected - looks like we are in for another bish bash kick game.
I fear the worse - we now how good the Welsh are at tight games against Australia in recent years.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

Gatland's panicked and gone back to his comfort zone of Welshness. Sad. Hope it works for him, otherwise it'll blemish his coaching record slightly
beech

Post by beech »

For a lightweight Parling did very well in the crushing win today. Coming up with these judgments can end up with red faces all round. :smt011 :smt011 Parling and Wyn Jones both had excellent games today - long live the lightweights!
tf22
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Such a lightweight that he made about 15 tackles in each of the last two tests. Lydiate made 7. Kind of makes you wonder why Croft wasn't in the squad seeing as he made 11 tackles in the first test.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Well! If that is 'lightweight and ineffectual' then I hope Jones is eating his welsh caps. Both lightweight 2nd rows did more than their ask. GP may be lightweight but I would rather have a a lightweight dynamo that can tap tackle than a lump of Borthwick/ lard (other type of lard are available).
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Well! If that is 'lightweight and ineffectual' then I hope Jones is eating his welsh caps. Both lightweight 2nd rows did more than their ask. GP may be lightweight but I would rather have a a lightweight dynamo that can tap tackle than a lump of Borthwick/ lard (other type of lard are available).
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TigerCam wrote:Well! If that is 'lightweight and ineffectual' then I hope Jones is eating his welsh caps. Both lightweight 2nd rows did more than their ask. GP may be lightweight but I would rather have a a lightweight dynamo that can tap tackle than a lump of Borthwick/ lard (other type of lard are available).

The tap tackle was rather special wasn't it!!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Which Aussie prop got Sin-bined? Oh the one Parlings side of the Scrum, a great performance again, the tap tackle was crucial & also textbook.

A legend now & may well make my Tigers Best XV.
To win is not as important as playing with style!