So what's the Lions XV for Saturday? Read the runes.....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: So what's the Lions XV for Saturday? Read the runes.....

Post by Cardiff Tig »

fleabane wrote: Farrell will be starting games at some stage, unless Gatland blindly pursues the idea of Hogg, or even 36 at 10. I do not think that Toby's kicking from hand is inferior to Fazlets, and "The Leicester way" of closing out games is in large part down to the 10 - Toby!

I agree over Jones and ROG, but would have included Hook somewhere as cover at 10, 12, 13 and 15, even if he was only thought of as a dirt-tracker (which I don't believe he is!).
I disagree, I think Toby's main weakness is his kicking from hand! I would be suprised if Farrell started 10 again on this tour ahead of Sexton, unless we win the first two tests and then Gatland starts him for the dead rubber at the end.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Cardiff Tig wrote:
fleabane wrote: Farrell will be starting games at some stage, unless Gatland blindly pursues the idea of Hogg, or even 36 at 10. I do not think that Toby's kicking from hand is inferior to Fazlets, and "The Leicester way" of closing out games is in large part down to the 10 - Toby!

I agree over Jones and ROG, but would have included Hook somewhere as cover at 10, 12, 13 and 15, even if he was only thought of as a dirt-tracker (which I don't believe he is!).
I disagree, I think Toby's main weakness is his kicking from hand! I would be suprised if Farrell started 10 again on this tour ahead of Sexton, unless we win the first two tests and then Gatland starts him for the dead rubber at the end.
It depends on what you mean by kicking from hand. Flood is certainly not the greatest at clearing from his own 22 but his attacking kicking game is excellent.

He's demonstrated that he can pick people out with cross-field kicks and his ability to put pressure on defences with Garryowens and chips into the opposition 22 is first-rate.

It's incumbent on him to improve his defensive kicks (as it is probably the most notable aspect of a fly-half's kicking play) but I still prefer his kicking ability to that of Farrell.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I was wrong and I was right....OTY does get the hooker spot, but Cuthbert...oh dear. Phillips is the weak link IMO and both he and Sexton will need protecting.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

I am like a child before Christmas...but with beer also in the offing for tomorrow morning.

I think that the Lions need to slightly expand on their tactics if they are to succeed against their Wallabies - namely going 2 out, as opposed to 1 out, from rucks when taking contact. Guys like Hooper and Mowen are so quick over the ball that the point of contact needs to be moved at the last minute so they can't get a foothold over the ball.

I think speed to first phase ball will be key, with an effective footrace between Hooper and Warburton taking place. Hooper is an awesome athlete so the captain will really have to lead by example here.

A Test Match 12 years in the making - I can't wait.

My preview, prediction and highlights from the 2001 tour are here: http://www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Iceman_19 - Christmas morning is finally here. :smt026

Common the LIONS - Wallabies for the taking today...
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

jgriffin wrote:I was wrong and I was right....OTY does get the hooker spot, but Cuthbert...oh dear. Phillips is the weak link IMO and both he and Sexton will need protecting.
As I said. At last Phillips shown up for the poor player he is. The Farrell in the 9 shirt.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.