Next Years Season Tickets

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Next Years Season Tickets

Post by MrPartridge »

I might give Nottingham a visit soon. They had a good game today.
Interesting point Eon B - but the Nottingham v Newcastle game you cited took place last night. Don't know how many Tigers games have taken place on a Friday night this season, but good luck with those trips up the M1 on a Friday night :smt039
Eon B
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Eon B »

Thanks McPatridge it works if you try A46 on a motorbike for getting to Long Eaton; or by train in weather like today.

I don't have a problem with Friday. Sunday is a working day for us.

And of course I'll be on the Crumbie when I can. I'm reacting, possibly overly, to some of the less reasonable comments on the subject that seem to imply a moral failure in not renewing a season ticket, and expressing the sense that the club is slipping away from the membership.

I just wish it were possible to block buy advance tickets with a high level of certainty of the event taking place at the advertised date. It isn't and I'm sad about it.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'd love to continue having a season ticket as I did until this season, but events, dear boy.....family illness and the cost of every attendance....first the away games dwindled, then the home games. Our last ST season we lost money over buying individual tickets, so next season we'll be buying tickets again.

PS longlivethecrumbie

Dinosaurs were a dominant vertebrate for 190m years and one group didn't die out - I fed some this morning. Why they continue as a metaphor for failure and outdated behaviour I don't know. Certainly isn't based on fact!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

So as Sunday is a working day for YOU, it means that we shouldn't be playing on that day.

Friday and Saturday are working days for me and I know that I will not be able to make every game but I still choose to buy a season ticket as do you. It also states in the terms and conditions that dates and times can change.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

To say as Eon does about the ridiculous situation tigers have signed up for is not to be disloyal to the club. However it is critical of the club who have signed contracts which allow the tv companies to totally control kick off times. There is no good reason for tv companies to do so, it just makes it easier for them to fill their time slots.

Our board have a duty to run a rugby football club. They are failing the supporters who have turned up in support come rain or shine, paid players or amateurs etc etc.

If Tesco decided only to open their supermarkets between 9pm and 7am each day they would soon lose their stock market value, have non functioning stores etc. The reason that they do not is that they recognise like most successful businesses that customers are important.
The TV audience for rugby has always been small. The fan base is of great commercial value to advertisers and sponsors.

If Tesco changed their opening hours from time to time in a random sort of way their customers would shop at Asda. If they opened or closed a little bit earlier or a little bit later then people would be confused and lose their trust in the shop.

The 11 out of 14 changes of kick off times/dates or both is so random that even the dedicated Tigers fan is fed up. This is a downward spiral in my opinion at a time when playing and watching rugby should be expanding for a wide range of reasons.
It is a fact that there are fewer and fewer under 30's watching any kind of television. They have other or better things to do.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Isambard wrote:The 11 out of 14 changes of kick off times/dates or both is so random that even the dedicated Tigers fan is fed up.
This is my fifth season as a season ticket holder (and my tenth overall as I had one as a teenager but had to give it up when I started to work on all match days) and I am not fed up with it. It is, for me, a fact of midern life.

The club are affiliated with Premier Rugby and they, to the best of my knowledge, have agreed the TV contract.

I keep saying this, but what do the dissenting voices expect Tigers to do? Say no to the TV deal and opt out of the league?! Where would that leave us?
Eon B
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Eon B »

longlivethecrumbie asks what I would expect the club to do.

a) Better! We are never shy of asking this of the playing side, but seem reluctant to do so of the business. Actually I never moan about the the playing side because I'm in awe of the talent. less impressed by the off field management.

b) Specifically introduce buy back for all changes to published match times; or offer alternate benefits such as free coach travel to away games, or discounts on final tickets at twickenham.

c) Recognize that this practice hurts at least some of us. I've been a happy watcher at Tigers for twenty years. That would mean a statement from the press office saying something like "We're sorry that this change has been forced upon us. There are elements of our business that we can't control but we will hope to do better by our members in future".

And no Ellis, I don't want this for me alone. That would be silly. I think the club can do better for all of us.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tigers are part of Premiership Rugby and it is them who have the contract with the TV channels. Tigers have one vote as do all other Premiership Clubs.
The TV deal is in the best interests of PR and Tigers have to accept it.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

KO times being switched is more than irritating it is costly, especially for those of us who have a three hour round trip (or more) to get to Leicester and have to book hotel accommodation in advance when the weather is poor. I know that to some extent, the club is beholden to the broadcasters' schedules but it would be good if the fans were put first once in a while. Not just the locals either, for whom an 8pm, or a Sunday KO is a mere inconvenience rather than a financial disaster.

More than KO times being switched, whether we continue to buy Season Tickets at all will be if we can afford them. My husband is eligibble for senior rate but I, also retired, am not eligible until I am 65. I am eligible for a senior railcard and can buy concessionary tickets for everything else such as the theatre, exhibitions, concerts etc but as far as I can see, Tigers is completely out of line and only offers senior rates to those over 65. Why?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

AlphaWiseOwl wrote:Tigers is completely out of line and only offers senior rates to those over 65. Why?
With the national retirement/pension age due to increase, and possibly increase again....and again, I guess we will probably see concessionary age increase too. I don't think Tigers are out of line, the line has to be drawn (equally) somewhere. If they dropped the age limit to (e.g.) 60, how long would it be before the 55-60 bracket are moaning they too should be eligible for concessions?

I already have my season ticket for next year. It's my one real luxury, Tigers are my "beer/fags" in life, though I do still have a pint now and then :smt002 . I think it's good value, I have met many people on the Crumbie terrace I would never have done otherwise, some are now friends rather than just fellow supporters. For many years I had to settle for the odd game here and there as I couldn't afford/justify the expense of a ST. I can now, fortunately, and I wouldn't change it for the World. TV brings matches to those who cannot get to games for varying reasons but it cannot, ever, replace the atmosphere, the banter and the shared highs/lows that you get at the ground, that's why I'll carry on as a ST holder, and because I love Tigers, come rain or shine. (I am not talking blind faith here)

Only once have I really complained about a match change, a few years ago now we changed a match Vs Quins to a Friday night, but that was only about a week before the match iirc (too short imo) and as I was working on the continent at the time I'd already booked travel home and it was too late to change without incurring high expense/loss. But then I knew that when I decided to carry on as a ST holder whilst working away, it was a risk I decided to accept, my choice.

I fully understand those who cannot continue to commit for varying reasons and I empathise. But, a loss for one is a gain for another. Heaven for one is Hell for another.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
AlphaWiseOwl wrote:Tigers is completely out of line and only offers senior rates to those over 65. Why?
With the national retirement/pension age due to increase, and possibly increase again....and again, I guess we will probably see concessionary age increase too. I don't think Tigers are out of line, the line has to be drawn (equally) somewhere. If they dropped the age limit to (e.g.) 60, how long would it be before the 55-60 bracket are moaning they too should be eligible for concessions?

I already have my season ticket for next year. It's my one real luxury, Tigers are my "beer/fags" in life, though I do still have a pint now and then :smt002 . I think it's good value, I have met many people on the Crumbie terrace I would never have done otherwise, some are now friends rather than just fellow supporters. For many years I had to settle for the odd game here and there as I couldn't afford/justify the expense of a ST. I can now, fortunately, and I wouldn't change it for the World. TV brings matches to those who cannot get to games for varying reasons but it cannot, ever, replace the atmosphere, the banter and the shared highs/lows that you get at the ground, that's why I'll carry on as a ST holder, and because I love Tigers, come rain or shine. (I am not talking blind faith here)

Only once have I really complained about a match change, a few years ago now we changed a match Vs Quins to a Friday night, but that was only about a week before the match iirc (too short imo) and as I was working on the continent at the time I'd already booked travel home and it was too late to change without incurring high expense/loss. But then I knew that when I decided to carry on as a ST holder whilst working away, it was a risk I decided to accept, my choice.

I fully understand those who cannot continue to commit for varying reasons and I empathise. But, a loss for one is a gain for another. Heaven for one is Hell for another.
Very good post, shows some real insight into why a person is a fan of sport, being a Tigers fan just makes it that more special. I miss the atmosphere of being on the terrace, but doesn't dim my enjoyment of being a supporter.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I'd just like to observe that although I live locally, it is not easy to re-arrange plans at short notice, as a carer for my disabled father I can't just drop plans and go to a different kick-off time game as it would leave him without assistance. I don't have a ST any more because most of what I earn helps fund my daughter in her MA studies. Everyone, whether near or far, has to consider how kick off times or re-arranged games will affect them and their plans, and to weigh up pros and cons of the viability and financial worth of a season ticket.

It doesn't make any one of us less of a fan/supporter if we can't attend all home games, or any away games, or just occasional games, or indeed none at all.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

:smt049
Rizzo wrote:I'd just like to observe that although I live locally, it is not easy to re-arrange plans at short notice, as a carer for my disabled father I can't just drop plans and go to a different kick-off time game as it would leave him without assistance. I don't have a ST any more because most of what I earn helps fund my daughter in her MA studies. Everyone, whether near or far, has to consider how kick off times or re-arranged games will affect them and their plans, and to weigh up pros and cons of the viability and financial worth of a season ticket.

It doesn't make any one of us less of a fan/supporter if we can't attend all home games, or any away games, or just occasional games, or indeed none at all.
:smt038 well said.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Having read these posts in a little more detail - I think there are some really good points being raised, which is why I use the Forum.

I guess I'm a lucky one in that I live within 2 miles of the ground and I don't have to deal with many 'outside' factors that cause me problems if the date and time of the game is changed.

I'm appreciate the Tesco example, but I'm not sure how relevant this is here. As long as Tesco meet trading rules set out by the government then they are in the clear. They are the market leaders who dictate to others whereas Tigers are part of the AP and have to agree to their rules (and the TV companies that control the game now - whether you like it or not).

To some degree I'll timidly suggest we are quite lucky as we know each week that Tigers will play at WR on Saturday/Sunday (occasionally Friday night). If they were a PL football team all days of the week would be a possibility.

I think the real change that needs to happen is that the clubs need to get together and make it clear to the TV companies that advertised game times are kept to. And if a change has to occur then we need at least 2 months notice. I think that would be a reasonable suggestion that would help the travel and personal arrangements of fans. I also totally agree that Tigers need to do more especially when game times are pushed back. It is not more buses that should be available, but what about trains too!?
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I must admit to a certain ambivalence on the subject. I'm definitely a traditionalist in that I much, much prefer my rugby on Saturday afternoon. However, what I really want more than the day is games played in daylight - I detest watching the game under floodlights (Tigers also seem to perform far better in daylight as well). I always resent it when I've meandered through a sunny winters afternoon doing very little and then as the light goes and the temperature plummets the game starts.

Nevertheless, I'm still happy to attend games at sensible times on Saturdays and Sundays.

There are also degrees of change which annoy: 1:30 or 2pm instead of 3pm on the same day is not much of a problem or annoyance, 4pm or 5pm is also OKish but given my dislike of games under lights these time are far less preferable. Playing at 8pm as we did against Saracens was just absurd on all levels. Fridays never - it's only since I retired that I've ever managed Friday night games on a regular basis.

Changing day is far worse as that puts out pre-made plans and quite often leaves me unable to attend. I like others, I suspect, do have a life outside rugby and although I have an accommodating and long-suffering spouse she rightly gets peeved when I demand she change her plans at short notice.

Finally there is the matter of notice. A mere couple of weeks is just not sufficient - a minimum of 6 weeks and norm of preferably 10 - 12 weeks is liveable with - anything less is a nightmare.

Nevertheless I shall continue to buy a ST whilst I can as it is the spur/incentive to get to the game on days I might not bother as I'm mean and don't want to waste my money.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."