Irish appeal against Healy ban

Post by Old Hob »

Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Irish appeal against Healy ban

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

I hope they throw it out and increase it. About time he was punished for his thuggishness. I know rugby is not a sport where we all hold hands and want to be best friends with the opposition, but there is a point where we have to say no.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

A reminder of why dealing with them at any level, including the HC, is a waste of breath. They have institutionalised getting away with anything for far too long.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

I agree with you. It's ridiculous to be appealing that ban.

However in the sense of balance we should point out that many teams at club and international level have at some timed tried to play about with the suspension system to make a player available for certain games. Our own club included.
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Still doesn't make it right though. I suppose we haven't earnt the moniker "Masters of the Dark Arts" for nothing
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Would be great if they did increase it to cover the final 6N match, as would be no more than deserved. Is almost like this should eliminate any reduction in the ban for pleading guilty etc, as appealing effectively gives the lie to any previous cooperation with the process.
Joe The Tigers Fan
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

I seem to recall when Tigers tried to do it with Ayerza ?

Wasnt he banned for punching in the HC quarter finals for 3 weeks, and Tigers went to appeal because Castro got injured and they were short of props for the semi final against llanelli ? Their sole reason to go to appeal was to make him available for the semi.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

tig1 wrote:I seem to recall when Tigers tried to do it with Ayerza ?

Wasnt he banned for punching in the HC quarter finals for 3 weeks, and Tigers went to appeal because Castro got injured and they were short of props for the semi final against llanelli ? Their sole reason to go to appeal was to make him available for the semi.
Which is why the ban should be in matches and apply to the relevant tournament rather than say 3 weeks.
Obviously some bans like for drugs are for year terms (or multiples) so all play, quite rightly is affected.

If the Ireland appeal isn't upheld it probably should be automatically increased (not just because it was unduly lenient and the appeal unjustifiable but also to make club and country reluctant to do appeal anything other than truly legitimate matters) and that should run on into next year's 6N or into competitive internationals - (shall we say world cup, Lions or 6N - the Lions element would only apply if actually selected in the squad)

Bans should not cover League, Europe and international games unless they are lengthy time bans - serious foul play or drugs and all time related bans of less than 1 year should not include time served during the summer off season. Clarke's 6 month ban should have been extended by the time from Saints last game of the season to the time of their first scheduled game of this season.
I'm using Clarke as an example as it's familiar to us. I we estimate a club playing in the League, LV and Europe may play 30 games a season - a 6 month ban should equate to 15 games. Naturally the player may not play in any international or friendly games and any that the club or country play should not as part of the ban.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Healy has won his appeal and he'll be available against France.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Well he is Irish!

Remind me how do you spell FARCE?

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JohnB wrote:Healy has won his appeal and he'll be available against France.
Unfathomable, unreasonable, unjust and grossly unsporting :smt076
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

sapajo wrote:
And wrong to boot!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Bill W (2) wrote:
sapajo wrote:
And wrong to boot!

Pun intended?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:
sapajo wrote: Unfathomable, unreasonable, unjust and grossly unsporting :smt076
And wrong to boot!

Pun intended?
Abso firkin lutely!!

:smt016 :smt016
Still keeping the faith!
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Another triumph for the lawyers.

What's more it's at every level of the game now.

A friend of mine's son plays at under 14 level for a club here in the area. Earlier this season they played another local club and his son (a tight head prop) was bitten on the arm by his opposite number. He showed the ref during the game, but the ref didn't act, instead, after the game the opposition coach said they would sort out this prop as he had a bit of a reputation even with his team mates of being a bit of a bad-un.

In the event the offending club did nothing and as a result my mate's son's club (note how I am keeping this all anonymous) cited the biter.

An RFU hearing was heard in an evening, and whilst the only support my mate's son got as the plaintif was his dad, the offending player was represented by a barrister from London. Remember this was an under 14s game! Apparently the rumour was Stains have "an interest" in this young prop and paid for his legal representation.

The hearing lasted until after midnight (and yes - this was a school night), and inevitably the biter got off his barrister having run rings around my mate's son and his witnesses ( Barrister "Where exactly on the pitch were you when you were bitten" Answer 14 yr old - " I'm not sure as I was in the middle of a scrum at the time".

So just as Healy wangles his way out of his just deserts, it's even happening at under 14 level. The powers that be in our sport should hang their heads in shame.

:smt011
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"