England v Scotland

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Scotland

Post by G.K »

bc wrote:Lets all be man enough to recognise excellence when we see it. Farrell had a superb game today and was 1 of 2 contenders for MOM. I think , as usual Brian Moore got it wrong though, Chris Robshaw was immese and certianly pipped Farrell to the award IMHO.
Good performances from all Tigers and I thought BY box kicking was much improved.
I really do think that that a 36/Manu midfield combo will be very exciting as it was for the Saxons 3 seasons ago.
OK I admit the Farrell had a good game today, especially off the tee. However I would note that he had a good distributor at 12 this time who did a lot of the playmaking.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

G.K wrote:
bc wrote:Lets all be man enough to recognise excellence when we see it. Farrell had a superb game today and was 1 of 2 contenders for MOM. I think , as usual Brian Moore got it wrong though, Chris Robshaw was immese and certianly pipped Farrell to the award IMHO.
Good performances from all Tigers and I thought BY box kicking was much improved.
I really do think that that a 36/Manu midfield combo will be very exciting as it was for the Saxons 3 seasons ago.
OK I admit the Farrell had a good game today, especially off the tee. However I would note that he had a good distributor at 12 this time who did a lot of the playmaking.
It did appear that having someone at 12 who can pass improved Fazlets game management today - I can barely remember us once kicking away decent possession - unlike previous performances with him at 10....
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Well done to the whole England Team. Billy had a brilliant debut and England could be devastating with Manu outside him. Farrell, not flashy, but had a good game so well done to the 10 and 12. Ben Youngs played well and so did Parling again. Brown was good going forward but made a few poor decisions at the back. Goode seemed to be the only one that seemed off the pace but he has been out with an injury.

With Flood, Tuilagi, Lawes, Hartley, Foden and Haskell to push the starting 15 we should have players who will have to perform at their best.

Not a fan of Lancaster or Farrell but credit where credit is due.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Well I have eaten my Farrell hat - quite tasty. Farrell played very well today a considerable improvement on his last game. He and Burns and Ford will be the contenders for 2015 - Flood back at WR or back to his best place at 12? I did expect the jock forwards to be more up for it but the way England off-loaded and lifted at the breakdown was pretty damn good. Shame a couple of errors led to two Jock trys but hey-ho.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

TigerCam wrote:Well I have eaten my Farrell hat - quite tasty. Farrell played very well today a considerable improvement on his last game. He and Burns and Ford will be the contenders for 2015 - Flood back at WR or back to his best place at 12? I did expect the jock forwards to be more up for it but the way England off-loaded and lifted at the breakdown was pretty damn good. Shame a couple of errors led to two Jock trys but hey-ho.
Burns and Ford, I am sure will be given opportunities to prove themselves, but don't write off Toby. He is one of the more senior players and his experience may well be needed at the next World Cup. You just have to look at Evans, Hodgson, O'Gara to see how a mature fly half can control games. From a Tigers perspective I would be happy if TTE, Toby and Allen are discarded by England straight away.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Farrell played well today but Ben Youngs was better and should have been MOTM. In fact, Ben got England on the front foot by missing out Farrell most of the time. Two fizzing passes to Ashton and Twelvetrees produced tries and his break created the space for Farrell to put Parling in.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Hinckley Bob wrote:Farrell played well today but Ben Youngs was better and should have been MOTM. In fact, Ben got England on the front foot by missing out Farrell most of the time. Two fizzing passes to Ashton and Twelvetrees produced tries and his break created the space for Farrell to put Parling in.
I don't believe BY played at 10 today? `you are right, BY had a really good game at 9. Farrell managed the game well today, yes an easy ride given the lack of Jock forward drive. IMO MOM was Tom Wood but the pundits know best apparently?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

From a Scottish point of view

- Engerlund were the better team
- Hogg has thrown himself into talk of the Lions squad (fast isn't he?)
- Rolland proved himself a nonsense of a ref
- Ashton is still an utter t***
- I could punch Dylan Hartley for a fortnight and not get bored
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

And the pass for twelvetrees try was miles forward. But there's the advantage of an Irish ref- they don't understand the concept of a forward pass.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I could punch Dylan Hartley for a fortnight and not get bored
Us English enjoy pummeling New Zealanders also!
Cheery chappy
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I thought that the comments made by Guscott on the red button post match in reply to Sir Clive's praising of YBY performance was dissapointing. :smt013

Guscott retorted that YBY was petulent and unprofessional.

Well, I thought the same could be said about his comments especially given the undeniable fact that YBY had an excellent game, in particular his passes that made both the 12T and Ashton Tries and his break that led to Parling try. :smt023

Why do these so called experts keep making negatives comments about Tigers players and perhaps even more so in England colours?

Rant over :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

- Engerlund were the better team
- Hogg has thrown himself into talk of the Lions squad (fast isn't he?)
- Rolland proved himself a nonsense of a ref
- Ashton is still an utter t***
- I could punch Dylan Hartley for a fortnight and not get bored

Replying to buffer as above .... (from English point of view)

Agreed England were the better team .... Actually one of best performances for a long time ... But also Scotland kept up (mostly) a defensive effort despite waves of quick ball and offloads from England. Weight of possession and territory counted. Scots scrum held eng ok. Scots need a 10 and 12 to open up back three.

Hogg, visser, gray, brown all lions tourist contenders for me.

Rolland was ok IMHO but twelvetrees try pass prob forward.

Agreed on Ashton but hookers (unlike wings) are supposed to be a real pain all the time.

Six nations title challenge still evenly balanced between fra, ire and eng.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

sapajo wrote:I thought that the comments made by Guscott on the red button post match in reply to Sir Clive's praising of YBY performance was dissapointing. :smt013

Well, I thought the same could be said about his comments especially given the undeniable fact that YBY had an excellent game, in particular his passes that made both the 12T and Ashton Tries and his break that led to Parling try. :smt023

Why do these so called experts keep making negatives comments about Tigers players and perhaps even more so in England colours?

I missed the red button post match bit. In what context did the comments come from Guscott? I didn't see YBY getting into any scrapes with the Jocks or even getting a telling off from the French, sorry, Irish ref....
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I thought that Ben Youngs was excellent at getting the ball away quickly from the breakdown area, away from the scottish forwards, and I did not see any petulance from him at all. He was sharp and had his best England game in ages..His box kicking still needs improving. Has anyone seen what Tom Youngs did to render the disallowing of the Launchbury try.
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

sapajo wrote:I thought that the comments made by Guscott on the red button post match in reply to Sir Clive's praising of YBY performance was dissapointing. :smt013

Guscott praised YBY performance, the petulant and unprofessional comments were referring to previous form in an England Shirt, although the only time i think that is true was that fateful grandslam decider in Dublin when he threw the ball into the crowd