Ford to Bath and other reports

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Ford to Bath and other reports

Post by sapajo »

Your differing is the triumph of hope over experience. He's a super player who we should keep and use to the fullest extent - he just isn't a full back and Morris is showing far, far better skills in that area.[/quote]

Whatever your opinion it just like mine has no basis in fact :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

PM76 wrote:Myler would be a good replacement- a solid kicker who does the basics well, Saints got to a HC final with him at 10 after all.
I really can't believe this comment is serious - even the Saints supporters don't rate him. He's one dimensional, can't get a back line running - yes he can kick but we need more than that. If he signs then it would be such a retrogade step. one of the worst signings we could ever consider.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

fleabane wrote:How many second choice 10s have had as many starts and subs as GF? The proportion doesn't seem low, but in youth expectation is high!
His main rival through the age groups - and current EPS squad member (some would say, current #10 for England) - Owen Farrell, that's who !

Don't think leaving is the best move for him or the club, but good luck to him if it turns out to be the case.

If it is (and I know Cockers agrees with me on this, because we've all seen it happen before) then Bowden must/will start at 10 during the 6N games so that we can see how he gets on ..... perform well and the backup 10 slot is his - fail & Cockers may well look to bolster the squad (I like the idea of Clegg more than any other suggestions so far) although Mele may help in that regard anyway.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Jay C wrote: If it is (and I know Cockers agrees with me on this, because we've all seen it happen before) then Bowden must/will start at 10 during the 6N games so that we can see how he gets on ..... perform well and the backup 10 slot is his - fail & Cockers may well look to bolster the squad (I like the idea of Clegg more than any other suggestions so far) although Mele may help in that regard anyway.
Is Bowden a better 10 than GF though? I know that his place kicking is weak but I don't think Bowden has kicked more than about 3 penalties in the last 3 years. I didn't see enough of Bowden at London Irish to comment, but if GF is the better 10 then he should start whether he is leaving or not.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21150789

So it's still not certain then................till March
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

tigerburnie wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21150789

which begs the question, where did the story come from?
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I think some posters on here ought to get real. 12T left because he wasn't going to bust into the 12 slot and would continue to be used as a utility back. He wasn't getting exposure for a rep place, unlike some of his Saxons contemporaries. I said at the time that SL would've been instrumental in suggesting more exposure to justify a move into the EPS. I hope those who slagged off my posts at the time can man up and agree that it has now happened.
I also hope that those who persist in the 'wouldn't compete for his place' rubbish park it where it has been shown to belong - where the sun doen't shine. Top sportspeople ALWAYS compete - ask Cockers and West.
Thus it is likely to be with Ford. To get to the EPS he needs to have regular exposure and no doubt has received due counselling from SL.

Just because someone doen't fit into a team doesn't mean they are rubbish.
However, in the words of my Stains-in-laws "Myler? You must be joking. We'd give him away. Good kicker, otherwise nothing.".
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

jgriffin wrote:I think some posters on here ought to get real. 12T left because he wasn't going to bust into the 12 slot and would continue to be used as a utility back. He wasn't getting exposure for a rep place, unlike some of his Saxons contemporaries. I said at the time that SL would've been instrumental in suggesting more exposure to justify a move into the EPS. I hope those who slagged off my posts at the time can man up and agree that it has now happened.
I also hope that those who persist in the 'wouldn't compete for his place' rubbish park it where it has been shown to belong - where the sun doen't shine. Top sportspeople ALWAYS compete - ask Cockers and West.
Thus it is likely to be with Ford. To get to the EPS he needs to have regular exposure and no doubt has received due counselling from SL.

Agreed

Just because someone doen't fit into a team doesn't mean they are rubbish.
However, in the words of my Stains-in-laws "Myler? You must be joking. We'd give him away. Good kicker, otherwise nothing.".
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I have been a fan of Billy Twelvetrees since he was at Leicester Lions, he has always showed that bit more than most,he was not however good enough or patient enough for Leicester. JG I happen to think he wasn't prepared to stay and fight for his place,the evidence I have for that is.............he left.
This is not a new thing either,Will Greenwood did exactly the same when he left us for Quins,he couldn't get the game time he thought he deserved,hence his dislike for us now. Some players just have to move on,some wait their time and raise their game,it's life not a Lancaster lead conspiracy.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
os99

Post by os99 »

Myler's not only a good kicker, he's also a very good distributer and in my opinion exactly the ype of player we need as a number 2 Fly-half.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

I think they are protecting their interests since they shouldn't have been in discussion with Ford under the rules.

Does that mean they havn't been talking to him or his agent? I would guess that they have been in discussion for some time but cannot admit such as they would incur penalties for contravening the rules.

It reminds me of the Sale pursuit of Redpath and that worked out well for Sale!
Always a Tiger
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

os99 wrote:Myler's not only a good kicker, he's also a very good distributer and in my opinion exactly the ype of player we need as a number 2 Fly-half.
Recruitment rule No. 1 - never sign a No. 10 from Saints! Since Spencer, they have has a series of disasters from Geraghty, Myler, Lamb ... all pretty flakey, whilst missing out on the likes of Goode, Jones, Gopperth etc.
Always a Tiger
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

.. or chat over the Sunday roast.. past the roast spuds son, btw fancy coming down to Bath...
Last edited by Rykard on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
Rich
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Having read the article, and Gold's comments, if I was not a cynic, I would think there is nothing in the story - "haven't spoken to him, don't need him" was the gist I got.

So if he ends up going to Bath, may I assume that talks will have started in March, or am I to think that I am being fed horse:censored:?
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Phil B wrote:So if he ends up going to Bath, may I assume that talks will have started in March, or am I to think that I am being fed horse :censored: ?
How does it taste?
Always a Tiger