Ford to Bath and other reports

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ford to Bath and other reports

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Its probably been said before, but how good is Ford going to look with a pack that is not so dominant as the Tigers pack? If it improves him as a player then fair play to him, but i would think that he may find playing behind a pack that isnt going forward all the time quite testing. Good luck to him whatever he decides. Would rather he stayed and developed into a world class player that he has the potential to do, but rather have players who want to fight for their place in the squad. Difficult choice for Ford.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

The one word being repeated by many posters is potential. Does he have it in him to become any more than a good club player. The jury is still out. Personally I have my doubts, but good luck to him wherever he ends up.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Ford to Bath also confirmed in DT today.

A shame but we will cope, but we do need to recruit another player (not necessarily a 10 as we have Bowden) who can kick goals....
However I agree with PM76 if Saints are getting rid of Myler he would be a good back up to Floody.
Soggypitch
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Seems an odd move for the lad, at the moment he is no-ones first choice FH. The insistence of guaranteed game time is just madness. Hope it works out for him but I think he's had bad advice.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by hugh78 »

Perhaps he thinks the clock is ticking to get on the radar for 2015 and Billy has set an example by getting game time and subsequently getting called up. It is a gamble for him - time will tell if it is a mistake , I wish him well. Tigers appear to have done all they could, for me the promise of game time and starting is all about integrity and earning the shirt and we should not break that (even though the casualty list appears to include Billy,Castro,Ford). Doesn't the French 9/10 we are looking at have a good boot? Looking forward to seeing Bowden at 10.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Soggypitch wrote:Ford to Bath also confirmed in DT today.

A shame but we will cope, but we do need to recruit another player (not necessarily a 10 as we have Bowden) who can kick goals....
However I agree with PM76 if Saints are getting rid of Myler he would be a good back up to Floody.
Anymore news on the Mele rumours/talks I wonder? he can kick, play 9/10.

Shame GF has decided to leave and I genuinely wish him well although, I do think it's a strange decision. Is Stephen Donald definitely off from Bath to bolster his pension further then?

Wonder what Tom Heathcote thinks about another young FH candidate coming in with alleged 'guarantees' on the starting shirt? Unless he's coming the other way...... :smt002
daktari wrote:Seems an odd move for the lad, at the moment he is no-ones first choice FH. The insistence of guaranteed game time is just madness. Hope it works out for him but I think he's had bad advice.
Agree daktari, advisors these days don't always consider everything. I can understand him wanting game time as he maybe sees himself as having fallen behind others in the England thinking, despite his Saxons call-up, but think he's making a bad choice....only time will tell. At least it appears he's been honest and up front about it all, good luck to him, maybe we'll see him back again in a couple of years time.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I think Ford's arrogance fueled by his father's self interest has led to this ill judged decision. I believe Ford has taken the BTT decision and his recent England selection as the course that he must now follow to fast track his career and in doing so reject Tigers who made him the player he is. Toby is currently a far superior 10 to Ford in all aspects of his game yet Ford demands that he must be guaranteed equity on starting berths and like BTT this is unrealistic and paramount to blackmail. I think RC would be correct to now drop Ford for Bowden and he should only be selected in case of injury. Bye bye George, I am very displeased with your decision but just like BTT you are not bigger than the club. :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

".. yet Ford demands that he must be guaranteed equity on starting berths and like BTT this is unrealistic and paramount to blackmail."

So when did Ford demand such a thing? Or is this something just made up by you?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

sapajo wrote:I think Ford's arrogance fueled by his father's self interest has led to this ill judged decision. I believe Ford has taken the BTT decision and his recent England selection as the course that he must now follow to fast track his career and in doing so reject Tigers who made him the player he is. Toby is currently a far superior 10 to Ford in all aspects of his game yet Ford demands that he must be guaranteed equity on starting berths and like BTT this is unrealistic and paramount to blackmail. I think RC would be correct to now drop Ford for Bowden and he should only be selected in case of injury. Bye bye George, I am very displeased with your decision but just like BTT you are not bigger than the club. :smt009
I think that's slightly harsh on both BTT and GF. Both players had very good players in very good form ahead of them - the way the season is constructed there are very few games that are not "must win" games, so its hard to break through. IMO GF is actually as unlikely to get regular game time with most top teams in the premiership, his game at the moment is all about his potential rather than his performances. The one team that would suit him is Saints, due to their problems at 10 over the years. I think he's on a difficult situation - he is unlikely to get much meaningful game time due to TF being here, and quite rightly in my opinion as TF is clearly the better player at the moment.

I agree that no player is bigger than the club. I don't have a problem with players moving on to get more game time, I couldn't care less about having the most players from the academy in our team etc etc - if we can sign another 10 that is going to win us games when TF is away with England then that's all that matters.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sapajo wrote:and in doing so reject Tigers who made him the player he is.
Playing devil's advocate.....GF could view the 'player he is' as one who is sitting on the sidelines, rightly or wrongly, a player who has fallen behind, for example, Owen Farrell (not a dig about OF) who he was ahead of in age rep teams.

I really don't think the 'toys out of the pram' approach - and I don't mean GF - serves any purpose. I and others are disappointed if this is correct, and I do think he's making a mistake but only time will tell.

Good luck to the lad.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

".. yet Ford demands that he must be guaranteed equity on starting berths and like BTT this is unrealistic and paramount to blackmail."

So when did Ford demand such a thing? Or is this something just made up by you?
Agree with G.K! Seems nothing but spin and hearsay that Ford has made such demands. Personally I never heard of such demands from a player but more a case of desire to do well for themselves and the club! Also disagree with all the stuff about Ford playing behind a weak pack at Bath as the way I see it the lad mainly plays when we are weakened by international periods, bit of a rose tinted view from some I feel!
Cheery chappy
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

I think the 12trees and Ford situations are different .Ford has been getting plenty of starts in his favoured position - 36 was getting starts only occasionally in his favoured position and was only getting contract offers on a 12 monthly basis . Ford was offered a 2 year contract this time . Most of us would choose Flood as 1st choice at present but if talented young players like 12trees and Ford do not see any hope of progression they will move and rightly so .
os99

Post by os99 »

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/G ... story.html

Personally I'm glad this has finally been announced, no player is bigger than the club and Bowden is currently a better player than Ford is anyway. Given that the likes of Mafi, Salvi, Parling and the Youngs's were out of contract at the end of the season, I think we've done pretty well in getting players to stay.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

As people have mentioned before i wonder if we will see one of their young fly halves like Heathcote or Devoto coming to Tigers?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

os99 wrote:Personally I'm glad this has finally been announced,
Whilst I don't doubt it will now happen, it isn't 'announced' until Tigers and/or Bath 'announce' it, or maybe GF himself confirms it.

Which Tigers should now do if Ford has signed an agreement/contract with Bath. If he hasn't signed then Tigers still have the option to 'tweak' their offer....but I doubt they would.

As an aside, in light of the 'denials' by Bath coaching staff so soon after the New Year, I'd like to see them put under the microscope regarding timing of any approach. Always be difficult to prove anything, especially with his Dad at Bath and he's bound to talk to his Dad, but brings further doubt on integrity in my opinion.