EPS + Saxons 2013 Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

EPS + Saxons 2013 Squad

Post by kpj tiger »

The 2 England training squads are due to be announced tomorrow, who do we think has made the cut for EPS and who deserves to be dropped? For me
Out of the EPS:
Paice, Webber, Johnson, Palmer, Botha, Waldrom, Downson, Dickson, JTH, Ashton, Monye and Sharples
In to the EPS:
Kitchener, Robson, Croft, Kvesic, Simpson, Burns, May, Wade and Eastmond/Miller
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: EPS + Saxons 2013 Squad

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure you'll see Ashton dropped to the Saxons. He isn't on form, but they won't drop him.

Kvesic I would love to see more of after the Warriers game. I think Burns is a shoe-in as well.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Not Robson, not Simpson, Ashton in and I bet Strettle moved up.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

kpj tiger wrote:The 2 England training squads are due to be announced tomorrow, who do we think has made the cut for EPS and who deserves to be dropped? For me
Out of the EPS:
Paice, Webber, Johnson, Palmer, Botha, Waldrom, Downson, Dickson, JTH, Ashton, Monye and Sharples
In to the EPS:
Kitchener, Robson, Croft, Kvesic, Simpson, Burns, May, Wade and Eastmond/Miller
Not sure how many get cut but Croft is still in the EPS. JTH should be out for Burns, Monye out for Wade, Botha out for Kitchner.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

IMO:

Hookers: Hartley and Youngs (Youngs in for Webber)

Props: Cole, Marler, Vunipola, Wilson, Corbisiero

Locks: Parling, Launchberry, Lawes, Kitchener/ Robson (Launchberry in for Palrmer & Kitch/ Robson for Botha, Botha will stay though)

Flankers: Robshaw, Wood, Croft/ Haskell, Kvesic, Johnson (Kvesic for Dowson, Haskell covering Crofty’s injury)

8s: Vunipola, Morgan (Vunipola for TTTE, a tough choice, especially for a Tigers fan!)

S-Hs: Youngs, Care, Dickson/ Simpson (Dickson/ Simpson is a tough call as Simpson is showing form but Dickson offers a different sort of option, Dickson will stay though)

10s: Flood, Farrell, Burns (Burns for Turner-Hall)

12s: Barritt, Allen (similar and interchangeable, Billy hasn’t done enough since joining Glaws IMO but the press are suggesting he will come in, so he probably will)

13s: Manu, Jospeph

Back 3: Ashton, Sharples, Foden, Brown, Goode, Wade (Wade for Monye, although the rumours suggest Strettle!!)

I doubt the likes of Waldrom, Dowson and Botha will be taken out but IMO they have had their chance, the latter two didn’t take it, TTTE played well but B. Vunipola is the future at 8 and, like Launchberry was, should be pushed up the pecking order. I doubt Kvesic will come in either, Lancaster will probably bring in Haskell, if anyone to cover the back-row.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

I'm torn on Billy Vunipola coming in, especially ahead of TTTE. Without doubt Vunipola will be there or thereabouts come 2015 but I do think people are getting a bit carried away. I think it might be worth holding out and bringing him in later in the year when he has matured as a player, especially given that the back row is already so cluttered players such as Morgan, Johnson, Wood, and TTE have really put their hands up over the past year or so.

Maybe I'm just saying this because I thought he was very underwhelming vs Bath last weekend. And I get that EPS != starter. But still, let's not get carried away.
Never believe generalisations
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Surely the one certainty to be promoted from the Saxons to the EPS is Tom Youngs!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

According to the agreement between the RFU and clubs, (totally forgotten the actual name) SLancaster can only make 5 changes to the EPS and Saxons squad unless there are retirements.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Interesting that Martin Crowson has tweeted "One final bit of news is that I expect former Tiger Billy Twelvetrees to replace Anthony Allen in England's EPS tomorrow"
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

BG01 wrote:I'm torn on Billy Vunipola coming in, especially ahead of TTTE. Without doubt Vunipola will be there or thereabouts come 2015 but I do think people are getting a bit carried away. I think it might be worth holding out and bringing him in later in the year when he has matured as a player, especially given that the back row is already so cluttered players such as Morgan, Johnson, Wood, and TTE have really put their hands up over the past year or so.
I'd agree with that and the same goes for a few people on the cusp of the squad. England are touring Argentina this summer without their Lions contingent so that might be a good oppertunity to bring in a few players while the eyes of the rugby public are firmly on Australia.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Tigers 1st XV disappear to EPS & Saxons

Post by jgriffin »

Congratulations to Ed Slater above all - IMO the boy will be in the EPS sooner than later.

Boos all round to the selection of Callum Clarke. :smt013
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers 1st XV disappear to EPS & Saxons

Post by Moose »

Billy Vunipola also training with the squad as possible cover for Croft - much as I think Croft should be in the squad long term, might it be better for him to sit out this 6N and fully complete his club rehab? How often do players come back (more) broken after an international series?
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

looks like with the eps/saxons and international call ups the first teams gone :smt010 woe is us....
cheers
Rich
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

jgriffin wrote:Congratulations to Ed Slater above all - IMO the boy will be in the EPS sooner than later.

Boos all round to the selection of Callum Clarke. :smt013
Ed Slater deserves to be there. Unlike you I don't see him as an 8 but a quality lock but, either way, he deserves to be there!

Regarding Clark, I also feel pretty bad about the selection. I don't want to sound bitter but it is a difficult selection to take when he ruined Hawkins chances of getting into the England touring squad at the end of last year.

He may have been playing well since his return (I haven't been taking notice) but there are plenty of good second/back row players who don't have question marks over their temperament (a euthamism for latent thuggishness? I guess we'll have to see).
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

One on the merits of the squad itself, and one re: the effect on the Tigers squad?