Varndell citing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Varndell citing

Post by jonlin »

Any citing yet for Varndell,s spear tackle? Good for Floods defence if not cited.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: Varndell citing

Post by fleabane »

It isn't good for Flood's defence. In Varndell's tackle, the victim was not driven down and folded on impact. I am sure Flood's tackle was unintended in it's consequence, but it fitted the description of a "spear" tackle in the rules, and TV's doesn't!
Valhalla I am coming!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

fleabane wrote:It isn't good for Flood's defence. In Varndell's tackle, the victim was not driven down and folded on impact. I am sure Flood's tackle was unintended in it's consequence, but it fitted the description of a "spear" tackle in the rules, and TV's doesn't!
No it doesn't, Varndells was a one on one, Floody had two helpers one from each team.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

^ ^ ^ . . .and I hope his sentence reflects that! :smt001
Valhalla I am coming!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TV is actually turning into an excellent tackler! Seen a few good 'uns from him on the telly - also one blooper, but such is life. IMO his rep is now unwarranted.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I felt sorry for Varndell as he was only doing what people have been begging him to figure out his whole career and he gets a yellow for it! Even the yellow was too harsh, no further punishment IMHO.
Last edited by CitizenSmiff on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

He always tackles from the side, had he fronted up to the man, he could be prepared for a heavy landing, it smacked of cheap shot to me and that comes from his reaction to the card.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Varndell was harshly treated for some might argue wasn't even a penalty.
Yes he lifted his opponent but he never drove him down or dropped him.
Drove his off the pitch yes but that's fair enough.

Flood's a difficult one - the intervention of his team mate effectively pushed Goode down. It made it look like a spear tackle however the spearing was inadvertant rather than intentional. Rightly a penalty against Tigers for unintentional careless foul play.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

mol2 wrote:Flood's a difficult one - the intervention of his team mate effectively pushed Goode down. It made it look like a spear tackle however the spearing was inadvertant rather than intentional. Rightly a penalty against Tigers for unintentional careless foul play.
Assisted by one of Goodes own collegues too
fremen
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by fremen »

Tv was never a spear tackle couldnt belive the decision to sin bin him, at worst it only warrented a penalty personaly i wouldnt have given anything for it
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

CitizenSmiff wrote:I felt sorry for Varndell as he was only doing what people have been begging him to figure out his whole career and he gets a yellow for it! Even the yellow was too harsh, no further punishment IMHO.
Tend to agree - given his past performances on the tackling front a citing would be a badge of honour ! :smt002
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”