Billy Vunipola

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Billy Vunipola

Post by Chobbsy »

Was it me or did they say on commentary on Friday night that he was linked with us?

All I can see on line is that he is staying with Wasps?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: Billy Vunipola

Post by DickyP »

You probably did hear - but it's that time of year - everybody is linked to somebody. Not worth worrying about.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

DickyP wrote:You probably did hear - but it's that time of year - everybody is linked to somebody. Not worth worrying about.
Probably nothing in it but an excellent prospect so if we keep it going on here, it could end up in the Daily Mail and wind up a few Wasps supporters. :smt023
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Hinckley Bob wrote: Probably nothing in it but an excellent prospect so if we keep it going on here, it could end up in the Daily Mail and wind up a few Wasps supporters. :smt023
I saw him driving into Oval Park the other day, apparently he has also been spotted house-hunting in Leicester :smt023 :smt023
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

PM76 wrote:
Hinckley Bob wrote: Probably nothing in it but an excellent prospect so if we keep it going on here, it could end up in the Daily Mail and wind up a few Wasps supporters. :smt023
I saw him driving into Oval Park the other day, apparently he has also been spotted house-hunting in Leicester :smt023 :smt023
No No No :smt018 Stop spreading Daily Mail information around!!
I saw Ford in Bath looking in estate agents windows! :smt017
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Would love to have seen him at Welford Road but just been told he has now signed for Saracens. Apparently they have also signed James Johnston from Quins.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Will S wrote:Would love to have seen him at Welford Road but just been told he has now signed for Saracens. Apparently they have also signed James Johnston from Quins.
Amazing thing that flexible salary cap as applied in North London, isn't it?
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Further good stuff from the Daily Bull...

Very good pair of signings for Saffas. Wonder who Quins are going to line up to replace Johnstone.

Fentiger, unless they are grossly over-paying their players I'd be surprised if they're paying their squad much more than we do ours.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

What is the exchange rate for Rands?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

youngtiger wrote:Further good stuff from the Daily Bull...

Very good pair of signings for Saffas. Wonder who Quins are going to line up to replace Johnstone.

Fentiger, unless they are grossly over-paying their players I'd be surprised if they're paying their squad much more than we do ours.
Player for player they are probably on a par with us, however I understand their player squad is a lot larger than ours and, indeed, most other premiership clubs.
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Two v. good signings for Sarries but big losses for Quins and Wasps. Wasps are apparently releasing a statement tomorrow and are not happy as Vunipola only told them he was leaving one hour before it was announced!! Quins will struggle to replace Johnston and losing him could be a big blow but they have some good young props.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

fentiger wrote:

Player for player they are probably on a par with us, however I understand their player squad is a lot larger than ours and, indeed, most other premiership clubs.
A quick look suggests Saracens have 51 against Tigere' 48 - fairly similar. Sorting out a fair guess at a wage bill for each player is beyond me - anybody fancy a go?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

So they lose Smit and bring in Johnston and Vunipola, hmm slightly suspicous. Surely you have to check them out RFU. So in the last 2 years they have signed Ashton, Vunipola and Johnston wihout losing any notable players. Something special going on with their accounts me thinks. Also we dont sign players like Cashton, we sign players like Benjamin and Allen and develop them into international players. Quins will be dissapointed with this as Johnston was on a small contract due to being signed as an unknown so they wont have much money to sign a replacement. Personally I don't rate Vunipola that much, yes he is big but so are multiple pacific islanders. He's like a poor man's Louis Piccamoles.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

fentiger wrote:
youngtiger wrote:
According to the respective websites Tigers-48, Saracens-51. I would surmise that in general our average (as in decent squad players) players' wages are slightly higher than those of Saracens, though I couldn't be sure, but they have more top-salary players, which therefore brings them the public attention, though we receive plenty of it from other clubs.

Although offering sponsorship of sorts ect. as part of the contract has to be included in the salary cap, the inevitable attention given to a player playing in one of the top clubs; with such powerful media presence along with the improved chance of international recognition, which in itself can be highly lucrative, is part of joining a club like Tigers, and in no way breaks the rules. I think it's factors like these that mean owners of other clubs often can't fathom how we keep the players we do. We offer things they can't, without breaking rules.