Post by Rykard »

rwc 2015 venues announced but no welford road

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/matchce ... HKXlJiHIic
cheers
Rich
Pam.B

Re: RWC 2015 venues.. no welford road??

Post by Pam.B »

Aren't most of them football stadiums? Guess the rugby grounds aren't big enough, apart from Twickenham and Gloucester.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

would've thought wr was big enough...
cheers
Rich
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

Maybe WR will get a look in here:

"Following the selection of match venues, England Rugby 2015 will also subsequently be selecting a range of training and team base camps at locations throughout the country, as well as numerous locations for fan zones, in order to deliver a sporting and cultural celebration that will bring together the British sporting community across the length and breadth of the country, and the global Rugby family, for a festival of world class sport, culture and hospitality."
Mo Leicester

Post by Mo Leicester »

Big fuss over nothing.

I was concerned when it was a headline on Radio Five Live. They didn't mention the King Power Stadium being included.

Welford Road pitch is not big enough for internationals (officially).

Football pitch is bigger - facilities better - so we walk across the road.
Owly tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Owly tiger »

Given the longlist it looks like a straight choice between Leicester and Derby. It will have to be Leicester, because there's a guaranteed rugby crowd.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

So Kingsholm has better off field facilities than us?

Does this also suggest that Welford Road will have no more development before 2015?

Slightly disappointed in the decision but I can always go to Villa Park or King Power I suppose
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

I still think the RFU are setting themselves up to look foolish here. All but two of the stadiums are over 30k as far as I can see. Will these be any more than half full for, say, Japan v Tonga?

As with everything else in English rugby at the moment, the dollar seems to over rule any sensible thought.
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

Owly tiger wrote:Given the longlist it looks like a straight choice between Leicester and Derby. It will have to be Leicester, because there's a guaranteed rugby crowd.
I'd say its 2 from 4 in the midlands.

Leicester, Derby, Coventry and Aston Villa.

You would think Leicester and Coventry would have the advantage of holding rugby matches in recent times.
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Personally, I don't care. This WC appears to be organisationally as big a shambles as others have been. It happens despite poor organisation, refereeing shambles and so on. Some venues will have small crowds and/or little atmosphere - simples!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
GEH

Post by GEH »

.it's money guys; well done Kingholm but will Glos get through to the final list?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Best of luck to Gloucester, genuinely hope they get selected. As for the rest, apart from the obvious ones, a joke imo. I can understand the need for larger stadia, and the desire to bring the game to a wider audience, but to "hand over" the RWC almost entirely to non rugby venues is disappointing.

I cannot agree with this more:
biffer wrote:As with everything else in English rugby at the moment, the dollar seems to over rule any sensible thought.
I suppose that part of the funds raised will be going into the football clubs supplying the wonderful stadia? Can't all go to the IRB/RFU can it? Nice to know we're funding other sports.

Part of the game has just expired for me, maybe i've only just accepted the fact! Disappointed but not surprised :smt009

Good luck Glaws.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Great response from Peter Tom. The biggest rugby club ground and biggest English club not selected? :smt017
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Seems a very bizarre decision, particularly given the potential issues with football stadia in terms of access and being marketing free which were highlighted in the media in the last couple of weeks.

Also, the RFU is failing to reward the investment in the ground which Tigers have undertaken. As a season ticket holder who doesn't live locally, I'm much more likely to make the effort to come to watch a game at WR than at the football stadium.

Surprised not to see Headingley used either. I think one of the potentially unique features of the rugby WC was to promote the closeness and intimacy of rugby grounds, and to use grounds with standing terraces. A lost opportunity and could backfire badly in terms of spectator numbers.
Joe The Tigers Fan