Ulster game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Southernsoftie
Top Cat
Top Cat

Ulster game

Post by Southernsoftie »

Perfect day for rugby but a first run out for the EPS players and the rust was very evident. Both scrum and lineout were very poor in the first half. Timing of the lineout was well off and Youngs' throwing in remains a problem area with two not straight, a comedy three times dummied throw in and numerous over/under throws. Front row struggled in the tight, Castro on the loose head seemed to have serious problems and there was no tigers superiority at scrum time which surprised me greatly. Penalty try seemed difficult to argue with having now seen the replay on BBC. Deacon went off early after what looked like a Tom Croft on Nick Easter tackle, which left him more than a little groggy. He reappeared later to no obvious signs of injury. TTTE went well and was constantly looking for work. Crane, on for Deacon still looks a little underdone and overall the forwards were well shackled by what was a young Ulster side. Parling and Mafi went ok.

Half back looked ok, youngs in particular is looking v sharp both here and in Jersey last weekend. He did get carded for a deliberate knock on which may well have saved 7 so tough to argue with! Flood played in his comfort zone but his kicking from hand was v good.

Back 5 played ok but lack of ball made it difficult for them to find their mojo. Allen in particular had a solid game but Tuilagi not so much. Two knock ons and a complete lack of penetration. Goneva looks a good buy and took his try competently. Hamilton was quiet and Murphy was solid.

Subs started revolving after 50 mins and it must be said Hawkin's arrival was a big plus. Lineout much improved and he looks lively in the loose. Logo also looks to be in good shape which is good news after his enforced break in Ireland. Morris and Symons played well when they got on, Morris, cruelly exposed by a missed tackle near the ruck, was not to blame for the levelling score. Smith and Lewington didn't show much but didn't get much time.

Overall a curate's egg of a performance. We will get better and showed in the second half some glimpses of a more dynamic game which wasn't in evidence in the first 50/55 minutes.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Ulster game

Post by Darc Tiger »

Result matters little. All about getting match sharpness back. This was certainly a good run out in that regard, and no injuries! Goneva looks good, and hearing good things about Symons.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Good to hear that Goneva looks like a good player. As Darc Tiger said it is all about gaining match fitness and sharpness,the scrum and lineout will follow.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

Again first half (possibly 2nd too ) I heard that we had trouble getting that final push to finish off and get over the try line .
But didn't I hear this last year too - and at Twickers ?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Code: Select all

Good report Southernsoftie, and as we're bored at the airport I'll add a couple of other comments. Genova looks exciting, Mickey needs to stay on the pitch (thankfully no points scored in those 10 mins). Phibbs had a great game compared to last week, well done particularly to Fraser Balmain who scrummed down against John Afoa (who had totally transformed Ulsters pack when he came on) and held his own, not bad for a youngster!! Lewington is a prospect that's still looking good.

It was a relief to see Tigers throw the ball around from touch to touch successfully, but still looked like no plan B when up against a solid defence.

Here's the tist though, Tigers started with a strong and virtually 1st IV side, and Ulster put out a second team with only 1 or 2 first team players, why didn't the score reflect that I wonder?

As for fortress Ravenhill, what a superb club, bathed in sunshine (rare!), outstanding fans, electric atmosphere and lovely location. Can't wait to go back!  
jacothelad

Post by jacothelad »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:

Code: Select all

Good report Southernsoftie, and as we're bored at the airport I'll add a couple of other comments. Genova looks exciting, Mickey needs to stay on the pitch (thankfully no points scored in those 10 mins). Phibbs had a great game compared to last week, well done particularly to Fraser Balmain who scrummed down against John Afoa (who had totally transformed Ulsters pack when he came on) and held his own, not bad for a youngster!! Lewington is a prospect that's still looking good.

It was a relief to see Tigers throw the ball around from touch to touch successfully, but still looked like no plan B when up against a solid defence.

Here's the tist though, Tigers started with a strong and virtually 1st IV side, and Ulster put out a second team with only 1 or 2 first team players, why didn't the score reflect that I wonder?

As for fortress Ravenhill, what a superb club, bathed in sunshine (rare!), outstanding fans, electric atmosphere and lovely location. Can't wait to go back!  
Yep. Had a great day out and was pleasantly surprised at how well the Ulster cubs did. I have to say that I have just made it home after a great day out and I do have a major headache in the construction phase. Super game. We should make this warm up a permanent fixture given as how Tigers are the 'Second' team of so many Ulster supporters.
sunbeamer

Post by sunbeamer »

what was the score then... :smt017
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

I know I maybe sounding pessimistic, but we had pretty much a full side out there against a very weakened Ulster side and we still only managed a draw. Does this not worry about how wqe are going to fair in the Heineken Cup.
Harp_s45

Post by Harp_s45 »

Southernsoftie
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Southernsoftie »

Rich, don't be too pessimistic. A first run out for 7 players and we looked a lot better in the second half (with the wind) than we did in the first. Players have had a brutal month of training and they are all tired. A weeks relative rest and a second run for the EPS players and we will look a lot better than we did Saturday.

Lots of positives. No new injusries (though I have to assume Kitchener is injured as he didn't feature in either of the games so far). Cole, Logo, Hawkins, Parling, Salvi, Waldrom, Mafi, Deacon (B), Young (M), Flood, Ford, Allen, Goneva, Murphy, Hamilton all look to be going well. The youngsters also shaping up well, Brookes, Balmain, Harrison, Symons, Morris.

I think we may have some issues at LH, Hooker and second row. Though I am sure Castro can play better at LH than he did Saturday. Youngs (T) will be ok when (!) he gets his throwing in sorted and Mafi will do a great job for us in second row in the absence of Deacon (L) and Kitch.
pip14

Post by pip14 »

The average age of the Ulster back line was 20 years and 9 months with many just left school.
Pienaar,Wallace,Cave,Trimble,Bowe & Gilroy were missing from their back line ...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I wouldn't be to bothered about how the team got on. The England boys have been away on holiday and this was their first taste of the action. They were away on an EPS de-brief last week as well so it's not like they are even match fit yet.

The Ulster team have already had one game together and had some of their big name foreign players in Afoa, Payne (returning from injury) and Muller all playing. As with nearly all pre season games it doesn't mean anything, in fact it's a good thing they fronted up and gave us a test, there's no point enjoying a 50 point hammering because that just won't be the case when the AP starts. Better to play these big packs like Jersey and Ulster and get the boys working hard now, no point being under done against LW.

Doesn't suprise me we struggled in the scrum. Ulster have a big pack and the Mafi/Parling combo certainly didn't give us the push in the scrum we needed last season and didn't this pre season. There needs to be a more physically minded lock in there, Slater or Deacon by preference.

Ford looked sharp from the clips I saw and his two conversions were great kicks from towards the touchline. He's had two games so hopefully after the other lads get another run out against Notts on Saturday they'll all be looking that sharp and ready for the trip to Oxford.