Oxford Welsh game - All Threads merged here.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Oxford Welsh game - All Threads merged here.

Post by masopa »

Thought Jordan has a decent shift when he came on too. Goneva struggled somewhat defensively, which will be a worry later with more astute oppos. He's a handful going forward though...

What's with the "dummy throw" routine for TY? Thought he was going to get pinged!
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

Enjoyed my Row A seat in the North Stand ! Only Parling, Youngs and Salvi stood out for me, everyone else put a shift in. As said previously, 5 points in the bag, we will get better.
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

What more could we ask for, a potential banana skin first game of the season and we came away with 5 points, very happy with that.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Some pictures from yesterdays outing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16429543@N ... 382180648/
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Panda wrote:Some pictures from yesterdays outing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16429543@N ... 382180648/
There's some nice shots there, mate. :smt023

However, No. 15 is well scary! :smt002
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Southernsoftie
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Southernsoftie »

Logo, who hasn't been involved in pre-season due to his visa issues, similarly Mafi also missing pre-season both looked ok but will get much better as they get fitter.

Youngs had a good day. One bad throw but several top drawer efforts although his tendency to "dummy" his throw-in's (is it the yips or just nerves?) will definitely fall foul of the authorities at some point (as it did in the Jersey game).

Cole had a good day in the loose but scrum was a bit of a mess, tbh not sure who's fault that was although LW LH was having lots of problems with his bind or lack thereof.

Parling the standout player, Andrew got better but he is well down the pecking order when Kitch, deacon (L) and Slater are back.

Backrow, Waldrom and Salvi were both v good I thought. Mafi quiet, see above.

Young and Harrison I thought both looked good? Suprised to hear Harrison getting some criticism. Pass looks good and while his kicking and sniping weren't great he looks comfortable at this level. Not bad for a "kid".

Flood's time as first choice FH at Leicester and England are numbered imho, if he keeps playing like that. Ford only got 20 mins but looks yards quicker in thought and deed. The whole backline looked more dangerous when he came on.

Centres went well, AA had another consistent game, worked hard but still thisnk he lacks X factor. Manu has the X factor but didn't deploy it Sunday! Tackling was poor, passing was ok but seems to be struggling to find his best form so far this season. He'll get much better.

Back three, were ok. Goneva took his try well though he was handed it on a plate. Needs to work on his tackling! Hamilton, his pass for Goneva's try aside, barely did a thing. Murphy looks class still and Morris must be tearing his hair out.

Crane looked pedestrian. Can't think of another sub (Ford and Harrison aside) who made an impact on me.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Southernsoftie wrote:Manu has the X factor but didn't deploy it Sunday! Tackling was poor, passing was ok but seems to be struggling to find his best form so far this season. He'll get much better.
Struggling to find his best form so far this season??? A bit early in the "season" to be saying that :smt002

I thought Flood had a better game than you made out. He did some lovely passes (including one beauty to set up a try) and looked comfortable throughout.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Southernsoftie wrote:...
Young and Harrison I thought both looked good? Suprised to hear Harrison getting some criticism. Pass looks good and while his kicking and sniping weren't great he looks comfortable at this level. Not bad for a "kid".
Personally I though Harrison looked sharp and accurate - somewhat better than Young who looked exactly what he is - rusty.
Southernsoftie wrote: Flood's time as first choice FH at Leicester and England are numbered imho, if he keeps playing like that. Ford only got 20 mins but looks yards quicker in thought and deed. The whole backline looked more dangerous when he came on.
Couldn't disagree you more - apart from one very poor kick Flood looked sharp, passed well and kicked very well. Ford got little wrong but showed nothing during his brief appearance.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

DickyP wrote:
Southernsoftie wrote: Flood's time as first choice FH at Leicester and England are numbered imho, if he keeps playing like that. Ford only got 20 mins but looks yards quicker in thought and deed. The whole backline looked more dangerous when he came on.
Couldn't disagree you more - apart from one very poor kick Flood looked sharp, passed well and kicked very well. Ford got little wrong but showed nothing during his brief appearance.
Indeed. I thought Flood had a good game, and looked dangerous and full of work, a couple of poor kicks aside. Ford didn't really impact the game at all when he came on.
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

Flood was good apart from some aimless kicking- why were we kicking possession away at all- they ha no answer to us in contact so why kick it away (I am not referring to defensive kicks on our own 5 m line!. When flood used the big runners or the backs we made ground every time!
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

On the subject of kicking....Mickey Young put up some very high but completely pointless box kicks. If we're going to give possession away, just pass them the ball...if we're going to use the box kick as an attacking weapon, then let's get it right shall we :smt027
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

The kicking part of the game plan was the worst executed, in my opinion.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Daveyboy wrote:The kicking part of the game plan was the worst executed, in my opinion.
But kicking possession away is what we do. It doesn't matter if it is Jersey, Nottingham or LW the same (apparently) pointless giving away of sometimes hard-won possession. I say "apparently" because there may be some cunning masterplan and whizzo tactical benefit that my poor brain cannot work out.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

An apology from LW for the traffic problems. Not sure why; the stadium builders and road planners have more culpability.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/991584 ... y_traffic/
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina