Oxford Welsh game - All Threads merged here.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Oxford Welsh

Post by BJ. »

mol2 wrote:I'm sure a number come in from far afield but by car you can get into Leicester from pretty well anywhere in Leicestershire in less than an hour.
I work on less than an hour from Belper.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Does, of course, depend on the day/time of kick-off and whether you're coming from the North or the South to WR. Friday night 7:30 KO and I allow 3 hours from Newark! Sunday 13:00 and just over the hour now the A46 is dual carriageway. Ordinary Saturday 14:00 to 16:00 ish KO then 30 mins to Leicester and another ¾ hour to go round or through!

The Kassam, unlike the Madejski or Watford is simplicity itself to get into. Oxford in general is relatively accessible compared with other places in the home counties - of course all bets are off for ease of access if they play on a Friday night! Many are the hours I have spent on the A34 round Oxford on a Friday evening.

I'd be interested to see the distribution of fans and their journey lengths. I suppose the club could do it for ST holders
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Pub for your visit to Oxford

Post by BJ. »

ThePriory wrote:On top of that we will be offering hot and cold food (bbq & baguettes) onsite parking and most importantly all very friendly bar staff!
Are you offering car parking for the match?
Banburytigers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Banburytigers »

DickyP wrote:Does, of course, depend on the day/time of kick-off and whether you're coming from the North or the South to WR. Friday night 7:30 KO and I allow 3 hours from Newark! Sunday 13:00 and just over the hour now the A46 is dual carriageway. Ordinary Saturday 14:00 to 16:00 ish KO then 30 mins to Leicester and another ¾ hour to go round or through!

The Kassam, unlike the Madejski or Watford is simplicity itself to get into. Oxford in general is relatively accessible compared with other places in the home counties - of course all bets are off for ease of access if they play on a Friday night! Many are the hours I have spent on the A34 round Oxford on a Friday evening.

I'd be interested to see the distribution of fans and their journey lengths. I suppose the club could do it for ST holders

Dicky P - I cannot comment on the access to the Kassam which is out of Town near Cowley, speaking as a regular visitor to the city its a complete pig to get around that's why the council have surrounded the city with Park and rides!
ThePriory

Post by ThePriory »

Cars can be parked onsite, yes. The stadium also offers ample parking spaces. Be careful not to park on the grass verges around the stadium, you'll end up receiving a parking ticket.
byrontiger

Post by byrontiger »

Not a local like PDG but a tigers fan that is thrilled at being able to see a match without going round the M25 at a snail's pace.

One bugbear though - next year would like to see the match during the University term time so I can combine it with a visit to my daughter. (2nd September-still at home,though lease for grotty 2nd year house starts on the 1st.)Might be up there anyway :smt003
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick and crushing.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

I assume I'm looking at the correct Kassam although a quick glance doesn't mention rugby or soccer.

"With complimentary car parking for over 2,000 cars, and within easy access from M4/M40 motorways and other major routes, The Kassam Stadium is the perfect location for those traveling throughout the UK."

http://www.thekassamstadium.com/index.php

Whoops, hold on, FAQ says "Yes we have over 2,000 on site, secure, complimentary car parking spaces for use on non match days" so presumably there will be a charge. I hate paying for parking and waste gallons of petrol and hours of my time avoiding it.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Phew, and from a soccer site, assuming it holds good for the rugby:

"There are 1,600 car parking spaces at the stadium itself, which are free. However, the car parks tend to fill up fast, so try and arrive early if you can (at least 75 minutes before kick off). An additional 400 car parking spaces are now available at the Ozone cinema and bowling alley complex adjacent to the stadium, which are also free to use. John Attwood a visiting Gillingham supporter adds; 'when arriving at the stadium, ignore the first stadium car park entrance that you come to and go up to the second entrance as the first will have you parking at the "open" end. There is a roundabout by the second entrance, which will take you back to the first entrance if the other half is full. I was also heavily delayed in trying to leave the car park after the game as there was only two exits available'. If you do end up arriving late at the stadium and find that the stadium car parks are full, then don't get tempted to park on a grass verge as you may well end up with a parking ticket for your trouble."

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/oxford_united/
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
ThePriory

Post by ThePriory »

Car parking is free at the stadium as it uses the same car park as the commercial outlets. Oxford Utd fans have never been charged for car parking. As mentioned if you park on the grass verges around the stadium or the approach roads you'll most likely recieve a parking ticket.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

ThePriory wrote:Car parking is free at the stadium as it uses the same car park as the commercial outlets. Oxford Utd fans have never been charged for car parking.
Thanks for all the info. :smt023
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

I believe that the Exiles are hoping to tap into the vast numbers of students in the city. Hoping they'll crack out some deals for us! It's just a massive shame that Tigers are playing Welsh before term starts.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
byrontiger

Post by byrontiger »

A missed opportunity as the undergraduates really would have boosted the gate. The students wouldn't even cause any traffic problems. Not sure if London Welsh would find many supporters in their ranks though.
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick and crushing.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I'm looking forward to this, it'll be refreshing to see another newcomer to the prem. As for the Priory, that list of beers has me salivating! :smt023
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Banburytigers wrote:
DickyP wrote:Does, of course, depend on the day/time of kick-off and whether you're coming from the North or the South to WR. Friday night 7:30 KO and I allow 3 hours from Newark! Sunday 13:00 and just over the hour now the A46 is dual carriageway. Ordinary Saturday 14:00 to 16:00 ish KO then 30 mins to Leicester and another ¾ hour to go round or through!

Dicky P - I cannot comment on the access to the Kassam which is out of Town near Cowley, speaking as a regular visitor to the city its a complete pig to get around that's why the council have surrounded the city with Park and rides!
Didn't mean the city centre - just getting as far as Oxford - and was mainly commenting on getting to the Kassam which I've found very easy.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

mol2 wrote:I accept traffic flow in Leicester is dreadful, I doubt most of us take an hour to drive in to Welford Road and I'd have said the vast majority of regulars live in Leicestershire.
I'm sure a number come in from far afield but by car you can get into Leicester from pretty well anywhere in Leicestershire in less than an hour.

It may be even harder for their fans to get to Oxford than us - the tube doesn't go that far! It may well be that a number of locals may go to their home games just to see Premiership rugby but they are probably more likely to be supporters of the away side like PDG.
There's a frequent (and AFAIR) reasonably priced (certainly less than the train) coach service from London (Victoria?) to Oxford City Centre. Getting from there to the Kassam may be a greater disincentive, as I think others have commented on.
LW could do worse than lay on a shuttle bus from the City coach/train station, a la Wasps at Adams Pk. I don't know what parking's like at the Kassam. Certainly, driving anywhere within the city ringroad is usually a freakin' nightmare with no parking - hence 5 Park & Rides.
PGD