England 15 for the rest of the tour

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

England 15 for the rest of the tour

Post by kpj tiger »

Just managed to catch part of the England game on the internet and I must say Lancaster needs to let Catt loose for the next games, Farrel was frankly terrible and Barrit was as per usual a rock in defense but nowhere in attack, for me Farrel has been launched into the England 15 too early, he needs more time to develop his attacking game because he is becoming a liability, Youngs also needs to really improve his kicking game as on multiple occasions he kicked the ball away aimlessly which is suicide against SA, I think the 15 for the next test against the bocks needs to be;
1. Marler
2. Hartley/Youngs if he really performs in the midweek game
3. Cole (Has massively improved his open play)
4. Botha
5. Parling
6. Johnson
7. Robshaw
8. Morgan/TTE if he has a good midweek game
9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Joseph (A risk but worth taking IMO)
12. Allen (Against SA you need a rock of a defender plus he offers more in attack than the now injured Barrit)
13. Tuilagi
14. Ashton
15. Foden
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England 15 for the rest of the tour

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Agreed except for Joseph; can't see putting a neophyte on the wing against the likes of Pietersen and Habana working out, especially with the Steyns raining high balls down on him for 80 minutes. He has been left out of the midweek team though so you might be on to something.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

As has been said on various on various other threads, another, seemingly quite popular option for the backs is as follows:

9 Youngs
10 Flood
11 Wade (though this has been discussed only briefly)
12 Tuilagi
13 Joseph
14 Ashton
15 Foden
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

youngtiger wrote:As has been said on various on various other threads, another, seemingly quite popular option for the backs is as follows:

9 Youngs
10 Flood
11 Wade (though this has been discussed only briefly)
12 Tuilagi
13 Joseph
14 Ashton
15 Foden
I think starting Wade would be really harsh as i dont think he would have the physicality for a SA debut, I think Joseph would be a better option coming in of his wing and targeting the center channel when Manu has drawn in defenders
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Considering the game plan applied by Meyer I don't think Wade would need much physicality to be honest, I can only recall one tricky tackle that Foden needed to make and wasn't particularly a physicality issue, he just positioned himself out of ever touching De Villiers. Personally I think it would be harsher starting joseph in his weaker possession on a match that would effectively be his debut too, considering the kicking bombardment we're likely to receive as before, although as you said you may have missed it.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Wade might be a bit light weight but he may actually work well against the SA pair who are not huge but very fast. It would be a different story if he was up against a player like North who could run over him a bit. Wade's big concern would be the big cross field bomb and being out jumped.

I actually think having Wade on the field may help our defence. Having an absolute speedster in the backs always keeps the opposition cautious as if a player makes a break and gets isolated and turned over players like Wade can punish you on the counter. I would go for the Manu JJ centre pairing with Wade, Ashton and Foden as the back three. Having said that Monye wasn't picked for the mid week team so he may be the one stepping up.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Will S wrote: Having said that Monye wasn't picked for the mid week team so he may be the one stepping up.
Almost ceratinly will, looking at the selections I think a couple (Haskell, Doran Jones, Care) have a chance of benching the test and Palmer may start, but other than that I doubt any will feature at the weekend.

Though Lancaster could completely confute me.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

As well as Johnson played, I suppose Haskell has to be in with a shout due to his extra physicality.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

The papers today seem to hint that Farrell is likely to go to 12 with Manu out on the wing. I think this would be a massive mistake. Firstly I don't think Owen should be in the team at all - his last couple of performances have been very poor. Secondly Manu was one of our only three quarters to make any sort of in roads against the Boks - is our response really to shift him further away from the action? Thirdly, the back three will be tested in a big way by the kicking of SA. Having a wing who is good at fielding the high ball, has a good clearance kick on them and understands their field positioning inside out it crucial. Considering Manu hasn't played there for a while I think this would be crazy. Finally, I don't think Manu has the pace to play on the wing at international level - especially considering who the oppostion wingers will be!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

If that is the likely team then good luck to them - they'll get stuffed.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Finally, I don't think Manu has the pace to play on the wing at international level - especially considering who the oppostion wingers will be!

Pretty sure he caught Habana from behind on Saturday. Agreed he wouldn't be wasted on the wing though.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

It seems Slancaster is in thrall to Beckham junior...
It could eventually cost him his job, :censored: ridiculous all the hype --considering he is absolutely fricking useless except as a place kicker.

And putting Manu on the wing is the mark of an idiot.
Manu's skill sets are not suited to wing play, far too slow over 50 yards and not reliable enough under the high ball, a la Alesana.

Predict a big beating if he has Farrell at 10 or12
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Farrell is merely keeping an England shirt warm for George Ford next Year.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I feel sorry for Manu watching him play without Flood because the only service he gets from Farrell and Barritt is a short pass and about a yard of open turf to run on before he gets wrapped up in the tackle. It was a joy to see him break down defences in last year's summer internationals, now he essentially plays as an extra loose forward. If this was football there'd be massive back-page headlines clambering for Flood to start but as it isn't we'll all just quietly tut to ourselves and hope for the best.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

We said this love affair of SLancaster with the media and Owen Farrell would end in tears.

There are times you just hate to see your words come true! Particularly when it involves the destruction of good players from your club.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him drop BY for Danny Care as well in response to media pressure.