Agulla - is anyone at WR listening?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Agulla - is anyone at WR listening?

Post by jgriffin »

I make no apologies for headlining a part of David Flatman's Sunday column in the Independent.

"Ihave never been a fan of the man-of-the-match concept; I always like to think of rugby as the purest of team sports, in which men literally risk their physical health in order not to let their mates down. So to watch this and, at the end of it, declare one man superior – to me at least – smells a little bit of marketing. However, this is very likely my opinion because in 14 years I have only won it three times. Bitterness is indeed an ugly trait. And anyway, nine times out of 10 it is the goal-kicker who takes home the champers.

This year I feel a compulsion to – for one column only – buy into the fad. Well, a version of it. Now and then, at whatever level, you play against someone who stands out, someone who looks a level above everyone else on the field.

This is the feeling people get when they play against Stephen Ferris or Richie McCaw, or even Seb Chabal in his prime. They are wrecking balls who seem, however aggressively targeted they are, impossible to suppress. But everyone already knows and crows about them.

For me, the more interesting players are the ones who seem alarmingly good yet disappear under rugby's radar. Horacio Agulla is one of those players.

I would say that he is the best winger I have played against in a long time. This does not just mean that he is lightning fast and scores beautiful tries. No, it just means he is unusually difficult to play against.

He does not appear to be as quick as a Dave Strettle, or as lumpy as a Matt Banahan. (Mind you, who is?) His kicking and passing game do not seem quite as surgical as Geordan Murphy's and, frankly, he just does not score that many tries. But he is a bull.

He is small enough that his opponents assumed – once – that he would be easy to knock over. They soon learned he was nothing of the sort, as they watched him busting through tackles like a cannonball.

It is no surprise that Agulla cleaned up at Leicester's annual awards dinner last week, even though to many outside the game he might not seem the starry type.

He is an intelligent, natural player who looks like he learned to be effective by playing games, not by lifting weights and eating broccoli. His error rate is low, indicating a high level of competence under pressure, and good lord is he competitive.

The Tigers seem to know what an asset they have in Agulla, so I would be surprised to see him leave Welford Road. The diminutive Argentinian with beastly power and a heart the size of a house is my player of the season."

Says it all - but alas the last paragraph seems way off.

:smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
bluehumber
Tiger Cub

Re: Agulla - is anyone at WR listening?

Post by bluehumber »

Are we sure that David Flatman wrote this, it's quite a good article especially for one of the fat boy brigade.
I TEND TO AGREE WITH IT, very true, not flashy just a good hard working professional, he would certainly be one of the first names on my team sheet. Grown into a true TIGER and he's shown such commitment to the club since coming back from the WRC.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Please don't make me cry again.

I too am a member of 'the fat boy brigade' yet I too have recognised HA's class for some time.

Understatement used to be a hallmark characteristic of the English. Certainly HA's understated brilliance is something that has always appealed to me.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Gibbo12
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gibbo12 »

I'll be absolutely gutted to see him leave at the end of this season. Agulla is such a classy winger and certainly seems to have that bit of magic about him that only special players have.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

The positive about Agulla is that once again it is a player that has reached new levels of performance under Tigers coaching and environment.

He did ok in 2010/2011 on his arrival, but i dont think he scored his first try until he had been here a year (well season).

Then in 2011/12 he has been outstanding.

So i think Tigers have had the absolute best of his career and they have played a huge part in him fulfilling his potential.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

In answer to the thread title - No!
Still keeping the faith!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Bill W (2) wrote:In answer to the thread title - No!
Exactly.

So, if they haven't listened to the previous Agulla thread (which currently stands at 200 posts over 14 pages), I very much doubt starting another one is going to make any difference.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Some people are just :censored: minded.
A life long Tiger
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

As I said on another thread, it is going to become more and more difficult for teams to have Argentinian internations in their squad. They will be missing for 1/3 of every season, some will return crocked and their host club picks up ALL of their salary!

Most of the Argentinian squad actually play in France, some clubs have up to 5 of the current squad in their ranks (Montpellier) - having 5 members unavailable for 1/3 of the season yet still having to pick up all of their salary is unrealistic. The only way it would be sustainable would be if the ARU picks up 1/3 of their salary and they simply don't have the resources to do that.
Always a Tiger
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Its just another lost cause. Tigers are a truly great club who thankfully continue to thrive and excel ultimately through the patronage of us its loving and loyal supporters. Rightly or wrongly we must accept the fact that we do not have any influence over the Tigers hierarchy unlike the wendyballers.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Bill W (2) wrote:In answer to the thread title - No!
When you spend most of the season insisting they don't know what they are doing and should have been sacked long ago,why would they listen to you?
A bit of two faced creeping talking to them before/during/after a game does not put you in a position to influence the board............thank goodness.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Surely most people understand why he's going - even Cockers has his doubts and is on record as saying that only time will tell if he got it wrong; perhaps there should be salary cap exceptions for Argentinian capped players. Money spent on him not to play can't be spent elsewhere.

I do love watching him play - watching Tom Biggs bounce a fulkl 3 meters when he tried to tackle him last Saturday was a hoot!

Ignoring Tigers concerns the real answer is, of course, for Buenos Aires to have a team in the Super 12/14/15 (and counting ......) - of course they won't because that would cost the Aussies and Blacks money.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

I have it on very good authority that things are progressing management wise with Horatio...

Apparantly---and this was three weeks ago--RC and the Twins were in broad agreement that if HA is willing to forego half a seasons wages--he is welcome back.

I will be finding out more later and will keep you posted.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Norfolk, I most certainly hope you are right. An announcement to that effect would bring the house down on Saturday.
Valhalla I am coming!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The fact he doesn't seem to have signed for anyone else does look promising to support this,could be beneficial for all concerned.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.