We have to keep Agulla- all threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

beech

Re: We have to keep Agulla- all threads merged

Post by beech »

I am surprised that posters think that Cockerill does not appreciate the value that Agulla is to the team. Having read his article in the Mercury it is clear that he has had to make a very difficult calculation. This autumn we will lose 8 or 9 players (if you include Castro) in addition to Agulla and Ayerza and if we add in a few injuries we could well find ourselves in the same position as we were at the beginning of this season. I'm sure everyone, including the coaches would like to keep Agulla but, in the end, difficult choices have to be made and that is Cockerill's job. Don't write off Goneva - he could turn out to be another gem like Mafi and Mullipola.
tf22
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

beech wrote: I'm sure everyone, including the coaches would like to keep Agulla but, in the end, difficult choices have to be made and that is Cockerill's job. .
And as with 12T Cockers has made the decision.

That does not mean we have to agree with it, even if he is right!

:smt009 :smt009
Still keeping the faith!
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

I'm afraid that if we are signing Goneva, then it like Agulla's fate is sealed. Sad day.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I look forward to Horacio receiving the "Player of the Season" award on Tuesday and also the "try of the Season" award. And then scoring a hat trick of tries at Twickers.
Still keeping the faith!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Hello,I'm over here :smt006
We side tracked a thread about another player,where I replied to a remark about whose fault it is that Horacio is not with us next season.
Richard Cockerill told us all that because of Argentinians inclusion in the new 4 nations,Horacio would be unavailable for the Tigers for the beginning of next season.This made it not possible to offer him a new contract(I'm guessing that ditto may apply to Marcus Ayerza when his contract expires),due to non availability.
This is a great shame but I understand the players desire to play for his country and I also understand the position this puts the club in,bearing in mind we have a salary cap to work with.
In an ideal world his desire to stay would be accomodated,but clearly it's not an ideal world and he will have to find another club,I think he's been a superb player,but he has joined a long list of players I would like to have seen stay with us(including 36).
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigerburnie wrote:Hello,I'm over here :smt006
Hello you over there! :smt039

The realities of life are the realities of life.

Has Cockers told Marcos?

We release players for internationals - as per agreements - and some hold perform badly as a result (start of this season).

Why pick on Haracio?
Still keeping the faith!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Bill W (2) wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Hello,I'm over here :smt006
Hello you over there! :smt039

Why pick on Haracio?
His contract had run out and I'm guessing we have to honour Marcus' contract.
We are guessing here,but I guess the conversation would go something like"do you want to play in the 4 nations ?"
answer "yes" and it's farewell,answer "no" and you get a new contract.We saw the same thing with Lewis Moody,did we not?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I think Moody was somewhat different due to him being accident prone.

But why pick on Haracio? He would, after all, be available during the 6N and Autumn Internationals!!
Still keeping the faith!
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

I can fully understand the rationale of Cockers on this one, its not that he doesn't want him it just doesnt sadly make financial sense.

Agulla wouldn't be available till December and would also have missed the pre-season...

And this is assuming he didn't pick up any injuries or wasn't knackered from 9 internationals in 3 1/2 months...

He would probably be up to speed by the 6 nations.

If this position continues I can't see a future for Argentian players in England, unless Argentina can find away of funding half their players salary.

And I also think that if ever we found a replacement for Ayerza he may also not get his contract extended.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I was very happy when the tri nations announced that the Pumas were joining them,but it does feel on reflection,that their internationals are going to have to play in the southern hemisphere.They are going to miss their clubs seasons,be it here or in France,it is going to be a problem.
The solution might be to have a global season where we all have the same season,but that has it's own problems.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigerburnie wrote:I was very happy when the tri nations announced that the Pumas were joining them,but it does feel on reflection,that their internationals are going to have to play in the southern hemisphere.They are going to miss their clubs seasons,be it here or in France,it is going to be a problem.
The solution might be to have a global season where we all have the same season,but that has it's own problems.
I share your views.

The global season is unlikely to occur in my lifetime.

It is a great shame that the ramifications of the many quality Argentinian players being denied places in European Teams could not have been thought through and dealt with in advance.

Has Cockers helped their cause?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
beech

Post by beech »

The options appeared to be keeping Agulla and accepting that he would not be available until 2013 or keeping some of our young players. I can imagine the comments in November if we had another terrible start to the season. The usual suspects would be highly critical of Cockerill. :smt011 :smt011
tf22
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

beech wrote:The options appeared to be keeping Agulla and accepting that he would not be available until 2013 or keeping some of our young players.
Really? Rather than doing what he has and recruiting some (as yet) second rate players?

I very much doubt that Horacio's salary would have meant losing players (plural) however young, or indeed exceeded that spent on lesser newcomers.

But do feel free to rewrite th history books.
Still keeping the faith!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

beech wrote:
The options appeared to be keeping Agulla and accepting that he would not be available until 2013 or keeping some of our young players.

Really? Rather than doing what he has and recruiting some (as yet) second rate players?

I very much doubt that Horacio's salary would have meant losing players (plural) however young, or indeed exceeded that spent on lesser newcomers.

But do feel free to rewrite th history books.
Agreed.
A life long Tiger
beech

Post by beech »

I suspect that there were many people would have classifies Mulipola, Mafi, Waldron, Ayerza and even Agulla as 'lesser newcomers' when they were joined Tigers. I am sure that Tigers ability to spot talent and then develop it is second to none and the record of players that leave should not encourage those who are critical of the club's policy.
tf22