Team vs Falcons

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jumbo

Team vs Falcons

Post by Jumbo »

Leicester Tigers (v Newcastle Falcons, LV= Cup, Welford Road, Saturday 3.00pm)
15 Niall Morris
14 Horacio Agulla
13 Matt Smith
12 Anthony Allen
11 Scott Hamilton
10 Jeremy Staunton
9 Sam Harrison
1 Marcos Ayerza
2 George Chuter
3 Julian White
4 George Skivington
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Steve Mafi
7 Ben Woods (c)
8 Thomas Waldrom

Replacements
16 Rob Hawkins
17 Logoviii Mulipola
18 Ryan Bower
19 Craig Newby
20 Julian Salvi
21 James Grindal
22 Toby Flood
23 Andy Forsyth

No longer a Mickey Mouse competition it seems.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Team vs Falcons

Post by mike »

If this team is indeed correct , yes - I wonder what (or who ? ) has persuaded him to change his selection policy for this 'development' competition .Perhaps a realisation that he does need to win something this season .
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Line up confirmed here.

Newcastle Falcons:
15 Greg Goosen
14 Ryan Shortland
13 Corne Uys
12 James Fitzpatrick
11 Suka Hufanga
10 Jimmy Gopperth
9 Chris Pilgrim
1 Jonny Golding
2 Rob Vickers
3 James Hall
4 Adriaan Fondse
5 Tim Swinson
6 Ally Hogg
7 Richard Mayhew
8 Mark Wilson

Replacements:
16 Joe Graham
17 Darren Fearn
18 Ashley Wells
19 Richard Boyle
20 Taiasina Tu'ifua
21 Will Chudley
22 Jamie Helleur
23 Joel Hodgson
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I suppose it makes sense to step things up with something to play for in front of the home fans. Shame that a few of the youngsters miss out though. Lewington in particular.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Well that really annoys me. Sorry Armes, Pienaar, Green, Lewington and Forysth creative attacking rugby is now rewarded by a place in stands/bench. This is supposed to be a development competition and there was a real sign of development last week, I can understand the need to get a few first teamers out on the park ahead of the AP games but dropping the impressive young guns almost completely is a bit harsh! Surely some of them deserved another pop at staking a claim, I'm thinking the lack of a flying winger and a natural enforcer should have meant Lewington and Green showing form would have meant they at least got another go.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

See the outbreak of expansive play last week for what it was, an aberration. This is RC in "we need to win something" mode. It will be interesting to see Skivington and Kitchener together for a comparison.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Unless we see this team playing in the same vein? Sorry, that's probably too much to hope.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

The back play last week was streets above the bish bosh approach of the 'names' on the team sheet this week..
As one of the very few Tigers fans there -it was a superb performance to watch, orchestrated by Harrison and Ford

So Messrs Hamilton Smith and to a lesser extent Staunton and Allen can count themselves very fortunate, because an awful lot of armchair pundits would have chosen Forsyth and Lewington after last week.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

norfolkexpat wrote:The back play last week was streets above the bish bosh approach of the 'names' on the team sheet this week..
As one of the very few Tigers fans there -it was a superb performance to watch, orchestrated by Harrison and Ford

So Messrs Hamilton Smith and to a lesser extent Staunton and Allen can count themselves very fortunate, because an awful lot of armchair pundits would have chosen Forsyth and Lewington after last week.
But of course, as some on here often remind us, the armchair/terrace pundit knows jack s*** about rugby in the professional era. So even if we 'know' we have witnessed a superior performance, with our years of playing, coaching and even managing, we know nothing and should not dare to criticise coaching and selection (unless we aren't real fans after all).
I personally have been persuaded that Ford is making the step up, and that Harrison Ford could be the future......right now though I'm not sure at which club!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

jgriffin wrote: I personally have been persuaded that Ford is making the step up, and that Harrison Ford could be the future......right now though I'm not sure at which club!
I REALLY hope they're the future of the club, if only because there are SO MANY JOKES to be made out of it!! :smt005
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Jumbo wrote:No longer a Mickey Mouse competition it seems.
Jumbo, you seem to have hit the nail on the head....

Cockers has always shown (what I consider) contempt for this competition and also regularly states the need to manage players carefully - especially in WC season.

Now we are putting out our strongest possible (bar Alex, Smurph & Young) side ?

Sometimes I just don't understand the mans decisions ...... :smt017 :smt013 :smt017
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Sometimes I just don't understand the mans decisions
Neither does he! :smt002
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

This selection confirms Graham Henry's attack on the English wasting talent. Last week Tigers had nothing to lose and sent out a side to put in a performance to which the players responded and came away with a result in the process. This week fear mode has kicked in and a side has been picked not to lose and in the process I suppose we will see a dull performance. I expect Tigers to get the right result against Newcastle no matter who is playing as Newcastle have been poor at times this season but I really do hope it will not end up being another case of one step forward and two steps back!
Cheery chappy
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

:smt022 :smt022 :smt022

Anither nail in the coffin IMHO.
Still keeping the faith!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Poor old Cockers. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. The youngsters turned it on last week against stronger opposition and away from home, so let them have a go at home. BUT this is the core of the team that will be seeing us through the 6Ns so give them a go together. Exeter and Saffas away won't be easy.

Of course if he's had the bloke responsible for teaching the youngsters how to play expansive rugby working on the 1st team this week.......*

* I say this as I can't see the bloke who prepped them for the Ulster and Aironi games being the same as the one who set up the performance against Quinns. :smt002
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.