Players on the way in.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Players on the way in.

Post by kornboy130 »

Though I was tempted with some sort of parody of the negative titles flying around at the moment, I felt this place could do without the conflict.

Credit to a post from another forum, the following players look likely/possible to sign on for Tigers:

Daniel Bowden (FH, IC, OC) from London Irish. Skilled operator and currently captain of Exiles. Spent time at Canterbury being Carter's understudy and after a shakey start to his premiership career has looked like a classy operator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpogB_kZ50Q - 39 seconds in.

Adam Thompstone - a player I've always rated highly at Irish and has been in form whenever I've seen him. Great footwork, attacking awareness, step and hand off for a physical winger the guy is very much a player we'd want to develop but one with bags of potential from what I've seen - you'd be better directed to find Exiles supporters to tell you more though, as what I've seen is limited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VE97jQX91I

Matt Mullan - Rumoured to be joining a while back when Worcester got the drop, Mullan is a Saxons Loosehead with a mobile game to boot. A well known entity and gave Cole all manners of bother at 6 ways - solid operator. Also capable of covering 2 in emergencies - though that was early in his career. Mullan also has offers from Quins and Sarries so negotiations could well be on going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQcRq5x9Dc

Enjoy and cheer up the lot of ye'.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Players on the way in.

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I sure if you trawl you tube enough you can find numeorus clips of Bowden being truely dreadfull for Otago & the Highlanders. As for Mullan not required if we sign up Mulipola, Harris is a prospect & Brookes & Bower can play both sides, plus Mullan has shoulder issues just what you need as a prop!!

What we need is pace & skill, what we'll get is size & power.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

I'd definately like to see Bowden come in to cover 10 and 12. I'm not sure we really need Mullan but would welcome him all the same, presuming Boris is still in contract. If Boris is going then he is definately needed and with Marcos missing the first 8 weeks of the season he would definately get a chance, but I think the cap money would be better spent elsewhere. Bower and Harris are both talented and Mullipola looks good too.

Thompstone would be a good signing and, like Benjamin he could develop into an England International. I think we need to bring an top quality, international winger in though, loosing Agulla and Tuilagi and bringing Thompstone and Benjamin is a bit of a step down, especially in big games. Both have lots of potential but with Scotty off form I think a player of proven international quality in back 3 is needed, not just to compete in the HC but in big prem games too.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Bowden would be a great signing to cover 10/12, i also read somewhere we have been linked with Jimmy Gopperth, who i also highly rate. I imagine Ford will slowly come more into the fold as the next couple of years go on, but with Flood and Tuilagi playing for England, i think we really need a bit of extra class around that channel.
Super User
Super User

Tindall may be available, he would fit Cockers grand plan to a T.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:Tindall may be available, he would fit Cockers grand plan to a T.
:smt015 :smt015 :smt015
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:I sure if you trawl you tube enough you can find numeorus clips of Bowden being truely dreadfull for Otago & the Highlanders. As for Mullan not required if we sign up Mulipola, Harris is a prospect & Brookes & Bower can play both sides, plus Mullan has shoulder issues just what you need as a prop!!

I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find off days for every player world wide. So why with the pointless negativity?

I've not known Bower be able to play both sides more than anyone else. Mullan has proven his fitness this season but don't let that get in the way of a good old gripe.

Of and pace and skill? you mean like Thompstone/Benjamin/Bowden (not that you agree on the last one)?
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

What about this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV8VXwYS ... re=related
A back 3 of Chavhanga, Tait and Morris or Murphy would be pretty exciting,
Super User
Super User

kornboy130 wrote:
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:I sure if you trawl you tube enough you can find numeorus clips of Bowden being truely dreadfull for Otago & the Highlanders. As for Mullan not required if we sign up Mulipola, Harris is a prospect & Brookes & Bower can play both sides, plus Mullan has shoulder issues just what you need as a prop!!

I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find off days for every player world wide. So why with the pointless negativity?

I've not known Bower be able to play both sides more than anyone else. Mullan has proven his fitness this season but don't let that get in the way of a good old gripe.

Of and pace and skill? you mean like Thompstone/Benjamin/Bowden (not that you agree on the last one)?
Mullan has been injured again this season, Bower played both sides at U20 World Cup (Yes I know its a lower level but he looks a good prospect & Mullan is no better than Boris so why take the chance, Bower should of played some part on Saturday).

Bowden is no better than numeorus 10/12's from NZ, just because he has looked competant at Irish does not make him a worthwhile punt, as IMHO thats what he'll be.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Should have signed Manoa and Pisi, oh I forgot Stains have got our ex talent spotter :smt013
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote:Should have signed Manoa and Pisi, oh I forgot Stains have got our ex talent spotter :smt013
Both exciting but flawed players - if they had come to Tigers the forum would already be writing off Manoa for his tendency to rush out of the line and leave a big hole, and Pisi for his weakness under the high ball.
bendalloway

Post by bendalloway »

kornboy where are you getting this info from mate?
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

If Tigers fans are looking for the perfect players I am afraid they will be very disappointed. All I am interested in is being competitive and some entertainment. I don't care if we go out of the H.C next season, although it would be nice to make the knockout stages and as long as we are in with a shout of winning and the team can make me believe so I will be happy. I personally would prefer to see a few leaner forwards around the park offering a bit more in attacking support and some backs running some alternative lines and moving the ball with pace. Players will always miss the odd tackle, drop the occasional ball or lose the odd ball to a turnover so I wouldn't highlight individuals past incidents as flaws.
For these things to happen it will need the current players to work very hard over the coming months. No matter who we add to the squad a change in attitude is needed from current crop to make anything worth while.
Cheery chappy
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The Boy Dave wrote:If Tigers fans are looking for the perfect players I am afraid they will be very disappointed. All I am interested in is being competitive and some entertainment. I don't care if we go out of the H.C next season, although it would be nice to make the knockout stages and as long as we are in with a shout of winning and the team can make me believe so I will be happy. I personally would prefer to see a few leaner forwards around the park offering a bit more in attacking support and some backs running some alternative lines and moving the ball with pace. Players will always miss the odd tackle, drop the occasional ball or lose the odd ball to a turnover so I wouldn't highlight individuals past incidents as flaws.
For these things to happen it will need the current players to work very hard over the coming months. No matter who we add to the squad a change in attitude is needed from current crop to make anything worth while.
I agree 100% with this, and cannot see the fan boy wish list approach being relevant to what are necessary changes to the current set-up and standards.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="Tiglon"][quote="sapajo"]Should have signed Manoa and Pisi, oh I forgot Stains have got our ex talent spotter :smt013[/quote]

Both exciting but flawed players - if they had come to Tigers the forum would already be writing off Manoa for his tendency to rush out of the line and leave a big hole, and Pisi for his weakness under the high ball.[/quote]

Yes Pisi was suspect under the high ball when Saints played him at full back, but boy what a different player when he plays in the centres.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too