Kicking Duties

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kicking Duties

Post by Smudge »

Am I the only one on here that thinks the kicking duties should be shared around
now that Billy is back playing.
Toby Flood's kicking is starting to concern me.
So many missed today and he doesn't seem to be able to make a drop-goal to save his life.
Billy is an excellent kicker and has a longer range than Toby.
If only for the practice element I would rotate it between them.
A life long Tiger
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Re: Kicking Duties

Post by Phil B »

I am not sure about the rotation element, as Billy may not always be playing. However I share your concern. Toby is just not up to standard at the moment.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Toby's goalkicking is currently a liability we must use BT or even BY as we simply cannot afford to keep missing some 10 points almost every game :smt013
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I think that sharing is the sensible answer: Toby is when in his normal form by far the most consistent of our kickers but at present he's on a poor run. None of the kicks he missed were easy but we were used to him getting all the touchline ones.

He is still a better bet at the 30 metres or less and doesn't make glaring misses like Billy 12T, but at longer ranges he's having problems.

This is where we should let 12T or Ben Youngs have a go - if they miss from 40 to 50 metres it's not going to hit the main kicker's confidence.

Toby had also been kicking weakly out of hand at penalties etc and I'd suggested that Geordan or 12T should take some of these tasks as well. However, it was noticeable that suddenly about 2/3rds of the way through the game yesterday he suddenly started striking the ball better and the kicks were going 10 metres plus further and far more accurately. Let's hope it lasts.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

When he missed two (or was it three) consecutive kicks at goal and a dropped goal
I was asking myself why the hell doesn't he give Billy a go?
Toby has been an excellent kicker in the past but in the last twelve months he has certainly started to loose it.
We really can't miss nine points a game and expect to win something.
Also it doesn't make sense to keep missing when we have another more than decent kicker on the park.

I am sure Cockers doesn't need to go all the way to New Zealand for that advice.
A life long Tiger
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

And the kicking from hand was of a similar erratic quality too - and I include Flood, BY and 12T here. What is the point of repeatedly hoofing the ball straight to the opposition's best broken-play attacker? Daft!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Ads677 wrote:And the kicking from hand was of a similar erratic quality too - and I include Flood, BY and 12T here. What is the point of repeatedly hoofing the ball straight to the opposition's best broken-play attacker? Daft!
The worst, or most pointless hoof away from hand came from 12Ts IMO, early in the 2nd half, straight down Foden's throat, Ashton's try followed a few phases later IIRC.

To be fair I thought Toby Flood put in some good kicks from hand yesterday (not all), including 2 huge clearance kicks to ease the pressure on us, the best of these came from a quick line out throw by Geordan Murphy and Flood kicked from midway in our 22 and the ball rolled out about midway in their 22 in front of the CAT stand. Made me think Andy Goode was back on the pitch with his 'Siege Gun Boot'!!
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Whilst I understand the concern, you cannot rotate kickers, as - without a crystal ball - you cannot tell who will land & who will miss which kicks .....

Better to encourage Toby to get back in the groove because when he is playing well he is a 90% kicker.

Billy is the backup option & maybe for long range efforts too, but if Toby is fit & on the pitch, then he takes the kicks for me :smt023
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Every time I watch a rugby game I seem to see terrible kicking out of hand lots of times.

The odd lofted punt finds great touch, but lots of them make barely 10 yards and hand possession to the other team.

Some grubber kicks bamboozle the opposition and obtain great position.

But 90% of kicks down the middle are gobbled up by a grateful defence.

And the success of drop-goal attempts has been woeful of late for all clubs.

I don't think Flood, or any of our players, are worse than anyone else.

But I think that kicking should be used when it is wise. At the moment it is used too much.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Toby seems to have gained distance compared with previous seasons, but at the expense of accuracy. But he doesn't need to take the long ones when Billy is playing.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Kinoulton wrote:Every time I watch a rugby game I seem to see terrible kicking out of hand lots of times.

The odd lofted punt finds great touch, but lots of them make barely 10 yards and hand possession to the other team.

Some grubber kicks bamboozle the opposition and obtain great position.

But 90% of kicks down the middle are gobbled up by a grateful defence.

And the success of drop-goal attempts has been woeful of late for all clubs.

I don't think Flood, or any of our players, are worse than anyone else.

But I think that kicking should be used when it is wise. At the moment it is used too much.
Pretty sure the OP is talking about place kicking.