Centres

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Centres

Post by Darc Tiger »

In the next week or two we are going to have some options at centre at last!

Billy came back into the side today with a solid 80 minutes. Nothing too flashy, but defended well and did some nice things in attack. Will grow with game time. Has the skill set that could be key in unlocking defences, which we have lacked for a lot of this season. I think we should use his howitzer a bit more though.

Manu is set to return either for Northampton or against Clermont. He should still be fit, as he should still be able to take part in training whilst nursing his injury, so could go straight back into the side. Has the ability to change a game with one moment, and influence it throughout with his uncompromising style. May still need guidance defensively.

Smith has grown a lot as a player over the years, and I think he has improved as a player each season he has played. He is starting to take more of a leadership role in the side now, and seems to have the task of marshalling the defensive line. He gives everything on the pitch, particularly defensively, where he has grown into a huge presence, tearing around the pitch bringing all comers down. Made a neat break today against Gloucester to set up Floods try, and I feel we need to try and use his pace a bit more effectively.

So who do you pick? You might instantly say Billy and Manu, but I think Smith has really put his hand up the last few weeks. Despite the undoubted attacking attributes of Billy and Manu, will they be assured enough defensively to start together? Smith is the defensive linchpin for us now. Is the risk worth it? Tough call I think.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Centres

Post by GT1 »

You have to take your hat off to Billy & the back room team for getting him ready to play a full 80mins after his injury lay-off!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Don't forget there's two internationals in Tait and Allen to add to the mix,eventually.Great team we've got,just need the good fortune to keep them fit.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

I didn't think Manu would be back until Clermont at the earliest so Billy and Smith should start next week, I still think Manu will come straight into the side when fit but Smith has been playing very, very well but he cannot match what Manu can bring in attack. I think Billy will really benefit from a run in the side until Ant is back and it could well be the making of him, we have seen promise before but he has not had the chance to put in a series of performances alongside Flood and Tuilagi.

If Manu is back for next week I would have him on the bench to come on and add some impact.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Unlikely that Manu will be available untill the second game against Clermont!!!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

News to me. Insider knowledge? Cockers sounded to me that he was definitely going to be back for the Clermont double header. Was I being too optimistic?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

He may be back for the Clermont double header.....but only available for the second match
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Tigerbeat wrote:Unlikely that Manu will be available untill the second game against Clermont!!!
:smt013 :smt013 :smt013 Really bad news but I feel more confident in Smith's ability than I did a couple of weeks ago.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Smith has been the outsatnding back the last few weeks, solid defensively and trying to create something in attack. Scored great try last week and created plenty today. He was also the first to get to AT and congratulate him on his superb score today. :smt023 :smt038
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

WiggoTiger wrote:Smith has been the outsatnding back the last few weeks, solid defensively and trying to create something in attack. Scored great try last week and created plenty today. He was also the first to get to AT and congratulate him on his superb score today. :smt023 :smt038
Smith HAS played very well in the past few weeks but went missing in action when we most needed him in the first few weeks of the season along with Hamilton.
Is it the better class of player thats making him look good now or didnt he have the bottle early on?
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

tonyw wrote:
WiggoTiger wrote:Smith has been the outsatnding back the last few weeks, solid defensively and trying to create something in attack. Scored great try last week and created plenty today. He was also the first to get to AT and congratulate him on his superb score today. :smt023 :smt038
Smith HAS played very well in the past few weeks but went missing in action when we most needed him in the first few weeks of the season along with Hamilton.
Is it the better class of player thats making him look good now or didnt he have the bottle early on?
Lets face it anyone playing alongside Grindal and Ford/Staunton had problems earlier on in the season. The frowards were also poor....once TTT went WC wandering the control disappeared. Now TTT back the control is starting to show in the forwards and we are going forward giving time and space for the backs.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Tigerbeat wrote:He may be back for the Clermont double header.....but only available for the second match
That is bad news if correct. Smith may be playing well but Manu just adds so much more to the team. He is such a threat in attack and defense and can create something from nothing, try v sarries last year is a good example. Smith can be a very very good club player but Manu is just better.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

smith is a very good 13, always has been. he has scored many a try in that position. i think he struggles when he is forced to play 13 and then on the wing and vice versa but otherwise he is a very good player.

he has scored a number of excellent tries for tigers including in the final of the league!
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Billy had a decent game yesterday but I would have liked to have seen more of him with ball in hand. To my mind he spends too much time playing the role of back row forward - first to the breakdown, securing the ball for the next phase of possession. He should be ready at first or second receiver where his distribution skills can come to the fore.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Agree Longshanks - It is a waste of Billy's skills for him to see so little of the ball .He looked good every time he had ball in hand and has that priceless ability to pass hard and straight - we need him to be used as an attacking centre , not a back row forward .