Is this fair?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is this fair?

Post by biffer »

Northampton have been told that their January home Heineken Cup game will be on the Saturday

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/news/8013.php

Looks like preferential treatment to me. Why should Saints get this ahead of everyone else? Surely if ERC have done this they should now name the dates for all of the other teams as well.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Is this fair?

Post by TigerCam »

biffer wrote:Northampton have been told that their January home Heineken Cup game will be on the Saturday

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/news/8013.php

Looks like preferential treatment to me. Why should Saints get this ahead of everyone else? Surely if ERC have done this they should now name the dates for all of the other teams as well.
Don't have a problem with it myself. Don't ask don't get? They want to maximise the financial gain and get organised to do so, so be it.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I have no problem with this at all. Even if they had not asked it would more than likely been given a Saturday game.

They have not had the kick off time confirmed!!

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

I don't think it matters too much but it's fair enough.

Don't ask don't get.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Try booking a venue when you don't know what day you need it on! Lots of logistical problems to sort, and likely to be the match of the round!

Come on Munster! :smt029
Valhalla I am coming!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

I doubt that it will increase Saints' chances of qualification.

Last minute RO'G drop goal, anyone?
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Ok, fair enough. It was an honest question as I wasn't really sure - saw it on another forum and thought I'd check the view on here.

The only thing about it really is that the Munster fans can now book up in advance, knowing which day they're playing, rather than having to wait until prices for flights and hotels go up like the rest of us.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

So Biffer the answer is no it isnt fair.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

It will likely be a dead rubber for Saints anyway by then. Sorry, couldn't resist!
Always a Tiger
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

bluntiger wrote:It will likely be a dead rubber for Saints anyway by then. Sorry, couldn't resist!
There's no need to apologise. It's a distinct possibility it'll all be over for the Saints after Round 3 as they're away to Castres that weekend.
biffer wrote:The only thing about it really is that the Munster fans can now book up in advance, knowing which day they're playing, rather than having to wait until prices for flights and hotels go up like the rest of us.
Like the rest of us? Speak for yourself! Our flights and accommodation for Belfast were booked within minutes of the fixtures being announced. If you want to wait until the last minute to book yours, then that's up to you but don't complain if the prices have gone up.

This sounds like a similar scenario to what happened in 2009. There were some Tigers supporters who wouldn't provisionally book hotel rooms in Edinburgh until they were certain we had reached the final. They then proceeded to whinge like :censored: when they couldn't get accommodation in the city.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

That was the final so stupidly placed on a Sunday afternoon with a 4pm kick off and hotels only available for a minimum of 2 nights. No hotels within 40 miles after the semi final.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Seems a bizarre or more likely trouble-making thread - how do we know if it is unfair unless anyone else has asked and not be given it? Do we know how many other teams even wanted it? :smt017

Of course it might be unfair but why cry foul when all you have is an article on a club web site. :smt018

Mind you I always say "why let facts get in the way of a good argument". :smt047
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Isambard wrote:That was the final so stupidly placed on a Sunday afternoon with a 4pm kick off and hotels only available for a minimum of 2 nights. No hotels within 40 miles after the semi final.
1. The 2009 Heineken Cup final kicked off at 17.00 on Sat 23 May. See HC website
2. What is wrong with provisionally booking hotel accommodation well in advance and then cancelling it if it's not required?
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

BJ. wrote:
bluntiger wrote:It will likely be a dead rubber for Saints anyway by then. Sorry, couldn't resist!
There's no need to apologise. It's a distinct possibility it'll all be over for the Saints after Round 3 as they're away to Castres that weekend.
biffer wrote:The only thing about it really is that the Munster fans can now book up in advance, knowing which day they're playing, rather than having to wait until prices for flights and hotels go up like the rest of us.
Like the rest of us? Speak for yourself! Our flights and accommodation for Belfast were booked within minutes of the fixtures being announced. If you want to wait until the last minute to book yours, then that's up to you but don't complain if the prices have gone up.

This sounds like a similar scenario to what happened in 2009. There were some Tigers supporters who wouldn't provisionally book hotel rooms in Edinburgh until they were certain we had reached the final. They then proceeded to whinge like :censored: when they couldn't get accommodation in the city.
Some people might not be able to afford to take Friday and Monday off and stay for three nights - which is what you'd need to do if you're going to cover a Friday night kickoff and Sunday 3 pm kickoff (I wouldn't fancy your chances of making the Friday night if you're on the 17.05 flight from East mids, or getting to the airport on Sunday if you're on the 18.45 on the way back). But if you're well off enough not to care, then that's fine.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

DickyP wrote:Seems a bizarre or more likely trouble-making thread - how do we know if it is unfair unless anyone else has asked and not be given it? Do we know how many other teams even wanted it? :smt017

Of course it might be unfair but why cry foul when all you have is an article on a club web site. :smt018

Mind you I always say "why let facts get in the way of a good argument". :smt047
I know that Edinburgh have requested a Friday night home fixture previously and been told by ERC that they wanted to announce all the fixture dates at the same time. This would have been 2004 and 2005, after which they stopped asking as it wasn't worthwhile. If there had been a change of policy then surely ERC should have let all teams know about it?