He can stay, but must change his coaching staff

http://tinyurl.com/6ywjnew
Valhalla I am coming!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Re: Johno gets offer to stay

Post by kingol22 »

Think this is the right decision by the RFU and hopefully Jhonno will accept it.
Rowntree should stay as scrum coach.
Dave Ellis from France should be brought in as defense coach.
Then we need breakdown, kicking and attack coach.
Maybe Hill as breakdown coach, not sure what he is doing now but would like to see it. Not sure about attack and kicking coaches though.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

kingol22 wrote:Think this is the right decision by the RFU and hopefully Jhonno will accept it.
Maybe Hill as breakdown coach, not sure what he is doing now but would like to see it. Not sure about attack and kicking coaches though.
Nowt wrong with the scrummage - Wiggy stays IMO

Give Shaun Edwards the job as proposed in the past. He'll kick some serious butt which is what England need.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
brettclark

Post by brettclark »

Dave Ellis's France conceded 9 tries in the pool stages to England's 1-
enough said
Tigershaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tigershaz »

Nice interview on tv with Lewis Moody backing Johnno yesterday. Could he find a coaching role for England?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I think the coaches need to be freshened up. But harsh on Ford as apparently he was the one who laid down the law to the team etc. However, I'd still opt to replace him as the defence has never been that good.

My Choices;

Head Coach/Backs Coach - Jim Mallinder
Forwards Coach - Dorian West
Defence Coach/Assistant Forwards Coach - Phil Gustard
Scrum Coach - Graham Rowntree

Saints play a good mix of rugby but are limited by average fly half and centres, access to Flood, Manu etc would eliviate that problem. Sarries have an oppressive defence and brutal kick chase, I'd like to see England with these. Rowntree and West will have the front row scrummaging like deamons in no time.
Gibbo12
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gibbo12 »

Tigershaz wrote:Nice interview on tv with Lewis Moody backing Johnno yesterday. Could he find a coaching role for England?
... This exact way of thinking being the drawback of the England set-up for too long.
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

Gibbo12 wrote:
Tigershaz wrote:Nice interview on tv with Lewis Moody backing Johnno yesterday. Could he find a coaching role for England?
... This exact way of thinking being the drawback of the England set-up for too long.
I agree. Get a fresh face in to stir it up and clear out the dead-wood
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I had a brief chat to Nobby West the other day whilst giving him a hot dog at a bonfire party -thoroughly nice bloke! -(didn't ask him if he been tapped up by England though!!)
Broadstaff

Post by Broadstaff »

TigerCam wrote:kingol22 wrote:
Think this is the right decision by the RFU and hopefully Jhonno will accept it.
... but what will the role of Martin Johnson be? Surely he can't be involved in selection - he has proved he lacks any vision and has palpably held the development of players back with conservative selections over a three year period (bit similar to Tigers in fact). He can't enforce his will on the players - they don't seem able to play how he asks them on the field and he has no control on what goes on off the field. I suppose he can talk to the media - I wouldn't have said that is necessarily his forte, but it is something that is not too crucial I suppose. Hardly seems enough for the England manager though.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I agree - I don't for the life of me see what Johnson offers other than a dark scowl. The usual fudge from the RFU I'm afraid. :smt011
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It is what it is, to use a favourite rugby player/coach phrase.

If he does stay, hopefully he will have learnt a lot from this WC and will continue as a better coach and manager.

I think the bigger problem than the ability of the manager is the apparently awful attitude of large parts of the squad.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

No need for a kicking coach. Kickers went backwards this RWC and stillthey couldnt score lol :smt022
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Isambard wrote:No need for a kicking coach. Kickers went backwards this RWC and stillthey couldnt score lol :smt022
Totally agree with this - If a kicker, who presumably was doing a good job with his club prior to selection, needs help then import his own club kicker for a day who can work on what he has been working on all year.

No change in what has worked for the kicker.

Sorry to say it but I do think that the RFU has got it right if they are going to keep Johnno. A clear out of coaches is essential. Surprised to see one name not mentioned so far - Conor O'Shea. Wherever he has coached, the attacking flair of his team has been exciting and creative and I would like to see him as the future attack coach (perhaps supported by Mike Catt)
Hehehehehehehehe