Floody/Ford or Staunton??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Floody/Ford or Staunton??

Post by GT1 »

Agree with Jose on this Flood should be first name on sheet if fit, future Capt of club & country!!
matwww

Post by matwww »

I don't know if it's just me but I thought Toby really came of age as a goal kicker in the world cup, for the first time on a big stage he came out of the shadow of his 'mentor'. When he got on the pitch he nailed most of his kicks and looked confident.

I realise he has had plenty of good games for England in the past but his performance with the boot alone for me really showed up the decision to start with Johnny. I'm a big Johnny fan but thought it worked better when if necessary you could bring someone of his experience off the bench towards the end of a game. A bit like Friday night with Castro, he is simply one of those people that tired opposition players do not want to see coming on as a sub.

Since Toby has been back his goal kicking for Tigers has been spot on and without doing justice to his creativity, I think a very very reliable kicker is an essential pillar of any good rugby team. Staunton isn't this now and won't ever be, Ford hopefully will when his time comes.

That said I for one wouldn't rush him into captaincy if there are other suitable options available, he can still contribute enormously as a 'team leader' without having the pressure and responsibilities of the armband.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Toby, no choice really.
Toby should, as others have said be one of the first names on the team sheet. At present Ford is still developing and getting bits of knowledge through various game situations which will continue to help his game grow. Staunton is a squad member, valuable but not a starting 10 unless through injury, call up etc the first choice is unavaliable.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

For was hopeless for forty minutes last night. HOPELESS.

Nowhere near ready for senior rugby yet IMO.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Flood has had an excellent kicking record since returning from WC duties, and I'm sure that this is connected to him dropping that ridiculous stutter at the start of his run-up.

Did the England coaching team recognise that they had messed up an excellent kicker, or did Flood just ignore their coaching?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
brettclark

Post by brettclark »

Purebob wrote:For was hopeless for forty minutes last night. HOPELESS.

Nowhere near ready for senior rugby yet IMO.
Mark my words we have a diamond on our hands with Ford- just be patient and let him develop naturally.
beech

Post by beech »

I have been impressed with Ford in the past but I think that his performance on Monday fully justifies the thought that he must be brought on slowly. I hope that the IRB award doesn't go to his head. If he is allowed to gain experience I am sure that he is an excellent prospect.
tf22
Tigershaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tigershaz »

The choice is never simple as somebody said to me last night "you can't pick players on reputation and ability alone. Form is a major factor" Wise words from a wise old head. Well said Steve.