Why do you support the tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger in bath
Tiger Cub

Re: Why do you support the tigers

Post by Tiger in bath »

I have always liked rugby since my grandfather introduced me to it at a young age. Being from Leics there was obviously no other choice of team.

I remember when I got accepted at Uni my grandad threatend to disown me if I supported Bath instead... I do go to Bath games when I can afford to, but I still love to go to Welford road when back in lecis and to big games. Most definatly a tigers fan!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I'm a Leicester lad and have been attending Tigers games for as long as I rememember. I suppose I'm quite parochial as I'm a huge fan of Tigers, Leicester City and Leicestershire CCC. Although I do support Leeds Rhinos having done my degree up there.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

We were lucky at school as regulars in the school rugby team were awarded with a season ticket which we shared. My first love was always with City in my youth but a seed was planted with our freebie,

When City got into financial trouble a few years ago, I gave up with them (not wasting my money any more). That seed planted many years previous, had now flowered.

Goes to prove that get kids interested and welcome to a club it does provide your future fans.

All thanks to Mr Higgins and Mr Perks from Anstey Martins.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

divingrob wrote:We were lucky at school as regulars in the school rugby team were awarded with a season ticket which we shared. My first love was always with City in my youth but a seed was planted with our freebie,

When City got into financial trouble a few years ago, I gave up with them (not wasting my money any more). That seed planted many years previous, had now flowered.

Goes to prove that get kids interested and welcome to a club it does provide your future fans.

All thanks to Mr Higgins and Mr Perks from Anstey Martins.
I also remember the free school boy season tickets, this also enticed me to go every week and support the lads, really great with the John player cup triumphs. Thanks to Mr Cox and Mr Ayling at Lancaster Boys'
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Leicester born and bred. Born within penalty kicking distance (metaphorically) of Welford Rd at LRI, legend has it that when I was born I was spun passed between the doctor and nurse, who dropped me and I landed on my head. I became a forward :smt003

I also follow LCFC and LCCC, but more just their results these days. I strongly believe in being a home town supporter, and got hooked on Tigers when one of my older brothers took me to stand on the Crumbie as a young springer for one of the Tigers Vs The Barbarians matches sometime around 1980 - can't remember exact year :smt009

There is no other team for me, never will be. Come rain or shine.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
chris4xy

Post by chris4xy »

My dad was born in Leicester. When we travelled up to see my Grandparents I was always fascinated by the journey up Aylestone Road with the cattle market followed by the Tigers ground. Dad would always boast that they were the tallest goal posts in the country. My grandparents sent us a copy of the Leicester Chronicle every week and I would read about all the major Leicester sports teams at the time - Football, rugby, cricket and speedway. Eventually I got to attend a game and that really sealed it. I think Leicester is a fantastic place and the Tigers epitomises all that is good about it. It's great fun, warm and friendly. And of course Walker's pork pies are the tastiest pie ever.
Wigstontiger

Post by Wigstontiger »

In the 80s, Tigers issued season ticket books to schools so that the rugby team could have the chance to visit Welford Road - in the hope that they would become regular supporters, I suppose.
Our children were only 10 - 11 years old so they were always accompanied by two teachers. I was one of the teachers who took the chldren in turn, three or four at a time.
I don't know if the children still go. Two of them, Jason Aldwinckle and Steve Wills did eventually play for the Tigers.
Anyway, the two adults still go to every match. We got well and truly hooked!
Quite honestly,I can't think of a single reason NOT to support the Tigers!
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

Born and raised in Leicester.
My dad took me down to the Barbarians game in 1977.
Been following Tigers ever since, sometimes from afar, university & work.
Been a season ticket holder for quite a few years since injury ended my playing days and travel to home games from Birmingham.
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Born and raised in Leicester (Wigston!) Uni in Manchester then worked in Kent and Wales. My bit of home I carry with me. Mum and dad are still there but next to them and the house in Broughton Astley home is Welford road. Walkers pies, Walkers Crisps, Old original or a pint of county..................the rest is just red green and white.

A little saddened at the passing of the amateur days and all these imports. (don't forget, foreigners begin in Coventry!) but pain when we lose, joy when we win. I whinge because I care!

My Welsh friends have lost the plot.....most support the Ospreys rather than the Dragons because the Ospreys are more successful. I get accused of the same thing with Leicester. But I just tell 'em "I was born there mate!" Nuff said!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Like several other posts my best friend's dad took me to WR when I was about 10 and that planted the seed. When I was too old to play, no longer involved with schoolboy teams on Saturdays and decided I needed to treat myself to a regular "bad" habit then Leicester was my first and only place to be.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Born in South Wigston. Who else can I support?

Answer:

Noone
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

It's quite simple, I was born in Market Harborough and lived in Leicestershire until I was 3. I moved down sowf and became a Southampton footie fan. But today, football is full of prima-donnas earning an obscene amount of money for doing naff all. All they can do is play hand bags at dawn and fake a broken finger nail! As for rugby... well full of hard blokes going at it hammer and tong playing a proper game. I now go to WR when I can with my wife who loves it, especially Alesana Tuillagi's thighs!!! Home games for us are Worcester, Glos and Bath but nothing beats the atmosphere of WR. Dont you just love it? :smt045
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

born and brought up in Leicester (St John's Primary and Wyggy girls). first went to WR in the late 50s. also used to watch City and County but of course hit the jackpot with Tigers as the No 1 club in the country.

your team picks you, you don't pick your team.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Born in Loughborough, lived within 30 miles of Welford Rd all my life, and my Dad played for Tigers Extras in the late 1950s.

There is no other option. :smt001
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

I'm a convert :smt003 I was born and bred in Newcastle, I used to cover the Falcons matches with St John Ambulance but wasnt really a fan. I moved down to Nottingham in 2005 to do my nurse training and met my other half who is from Syston. He's been a fan for years as was his Dad before him - other half persuaded me to my first match within about 3 weeks of being together... London Irish in November 2006. Didnt go to another one until the Saracens game in March 2007 where I happened to clap eyes on a certain (now sadly former) Tigers scrum half :smt003 and I was er - hooked after that :smt003

Used to go to as many matches as possible but bought first season ticket this year and now am well and truly converted! Love watching the team, love the atmosphere at Welford Road - just love it all really! :smt026
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)